Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    so a few years ago i'm sitting in a susa parents meeting for my kid...the trainer said "about 80% of all soccer scholarships go to foreign students" I turned and looked at my typical white bred teenager and i'm like ***!!!!!!! thankfully he is an honor roll student (because he did not get it from me).
    SUSA is not good for: training, understanding of facts and math. Glad your kid has alternatives and is not depending on SUSA.

https://www.ncsasports.org/mens-socc...nal-recruiting

In fact, during the 2016–2017 school year, there were 39,888 college men’s soccer players in the U.S. Of these players, 2,664 were international recruits. Therefore, international players accounted for 21.3% of men’s college soccer roster spots at the D1 and D2 levels. According to research done at NCSA, 74% of D1 college programs recruit players internationally

Comment

SUSA is not good for: training, understanding of facts and math. Glad your kid has alternatives and is not depending on SUSA.

In fact, during the 2016–2017 school year, there were 39,888 college men’s soccer players in the U.S. Of these players, 2,664 were international recruits. Therefore, international players accounted for 21.3% of men’s college soccer roster spots at the D1 and D2 levels. According to research done at NCSA, 74% of D1 college programs recruit players internationally
      Women's is about half of that number and growing fast. International players aren't really a thing in D3 because there's no athletic $ and generally tougher admissions requirements. the numbers are highest in D2. Some D2 rosters are practically 100% foreign.

Comment

What percentage are on scholarship?

Comment

while we can appreciate your plight, this is why families shouldn't be so dependent on athletics to pay for college. Sh*t can and does happen. First you have to win the scholarship - a task with low odds to begin with - then you have to keep it. We made it very clear to our kids when they started HS that we can pay X for each of them and the rest is up to them via scholarships (athletic and academic), work and loans. It helped them plan accordingly.

Question to you though - is that he/she is burned out on soccer in general, or is it the program and/or school combined with a touch of burnout?
          Had the same talk with my 3 in HS...I have the $$$ for tuition, room and board for a SUNY-anything you want past that is on you. Two older ones chose expensive private schools, lol, and took care of the rest with athletic & academic scholarships. Only loan is the Stafford so they could get work-study, but the payback for that will come out of the original $$$ that I had for them. Youngest looks to be following suit...

Comment

and when that glorious day comes, the day he/she says yes to a great d1 school, and a chance to leave college with little or no student debt, rejoice and enjoy....because 6 months later he/she might say, Dad, I just don't want it, its not what I want to do for the next 4 years, sorry but no more....then you will know that pain....endlessly scouring your memories for when the moment switched, good luck....

NYSC Alum.
            NYSC will do that to a kid.

Comment

NYSC will do that to a kid.
              Although I love to bash NYSC on occasion, they were not the cause, we left them years ago.

Comment

while we can appreciate your plight, this is why families shouldn't be so dependent on athletics to pay for college. Sh*t can and does happen. First you have to win the scholarship - a task with low odds to begin with - then you have to keep it. We made it very clear to our kids when they started HS that we can pay X for each of them and the rest is up to them via scholarships (athletic and academic), work and loans. It helped them plan accordingly.

Question to you though - is that he/she is burned out on soccer in general, or is it the program and/or school combined with a touch of burnout?
                Anyone who quits something that they lived and breathed for 7 years, has to have some form of burn-out, but for us it was more personal, he/she literally said, I don't want to do this for the next 4 years, I don't want to major in soccer. That the hell can you say to that????

Comment

Nysc

Anyone who quits something that they lived and breathed for 7 years, has to have some form of burn-out, but for us it was more personal, he/she literally said, I don't want to do this for the next 4 years, I don't want to major in soccer. That the hell can you say to that????
                  you say "thanks for the memories"
                  as ponyboy said "nothing gold can stay".

Comment

you say "thanks for the memories"
                    as ponyboy said "nothing gold can stay".
                    true, and all that is not gold that glitters....

Comment

What percentage are on scholarship?
                      That is up for debate as all scholarship figures are between schools and athletes. There are some general scholarship numbers by schools but they're across all athletes and all sports os it isn't that helpful. Most agree probably most if not all are on healthy scholarships. In many other countries you can go to university for free or a fraction of what it costs here. On the men's side there's less scholarship $ to begin with (9.9 vs women's 14.0). Give out the equivalent of 5 scholarships to 7 international players and that leaves 4.9 for the rest of the team. Women have more to split plus fewer internationals so the money is better. There's also 100 more D1 programs than men's.

Comment

You can't say anything except support them. They're no alone. Burn out is real. So are cuts, injuries or just wanting to move on to their next chapter in life. The odds of playing all four years is quite low. All the more reason to have a backup plan in case things happen.

Comment

College is a real growth period. I don't think it is surprising at all that a lot of students use the time to explore new pursuits and want to get away from the same thing they have focused on for years.

Depends on if they want out of their comfort zone or want to stay put.

Comment

College is a real growth period. I don't think it is surprising at all that a lot of students use the time to explore new pursuits and want to get away from the same thing they have focused on for years.

Depends on if they want out of their comfort zone or want to stay put.
                            Totally agree, but finding out 3 years ago would of sure-as-**** been better than 3 months ago....

Comment

Totally agree, but finding out 3 years ago would of sure-as-**** been better than 3 months ago....
                              If it helps, remember that many college students change their minds many times - on majors, even schools - and it will usually wind up costing us much more than we have anticipated. One of mine insisted on a specific major that isn't offered many places, thus limiting their options. They still ended up at a good place, but not a month in they declared they were no longer interested in the major. But at least it didn't cost me an extra year in tuition. Nothing like deciding you want a different major three years in...

Comment

Nothing like deciding you want a different major three years in...[/QUOTE]

Except maybe deciding you want t a different major 5 years after graduating lol

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X