Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ODP/RTC a complete waste of time & money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So this is when you know the program is shady . When you have players that didn't make the Thorn's team but they made regional camp. Than they threw a few life lines out and filled the rest of the spots with their team .
    Maybe they didn't make the team because other non-ODP players showed upmwho are better?

Comment

If you don't like ODP or Thorns or Ecnl or OYSA, don't do the ones you don't like. No one is forcing anyone.

Comment

?'s

"So this is when you know the program is shady . When you have players that didn't make the Thorn's team but they made regional camp. Than they threw a few life lines out and filled the rest of the spots with their team ."

This is worth a reply, and expansion:

Amidst all the awful banter about which program is best, how stupid and clueless everyone else is, the 'proven path' to college and whatever, there has been some honest talk about youth development in OR, and the ODP/RTC program, the DA...

After this cycle, and selection ODP Pools, friendlies and regional camps, for girls, here are my questions:

Is RTC an 'elite' program as billed?
        Does RTC take all comers or is it selective?
        Are Oregon's best players participating in this program?
        Is coaching in RTC consistent among regions?
        In selecting players for ODP Pools is the emphasis on physical attributes and abilities, or decision-making, mentality, or 'soccer IQ?'
        What style of soccer is emphasized in this program, is that style implemented?
        Are Oregon's best and most promising players participating in ODP?
        Are Oregon's best and most promising players participating in Thorns DA?
        What is the relationship between Thorns DA and ODP now?
        Is coaching in ODP consistent across the age groups?
        At the younger ages DA teams are heavily composed of ODP Pool players, what is the reason for this? Should these programs be composed of the same players?
        What is the relationship of Timbers/Thorns alliance clubs to ODP and Thorns DA?
        What is the relationship of independent clubs to the Timbers/Thorns, ODP and DA?
        What is the future of RTC/ODP in Oregon.
        What is the most important consideration in Youth Development in OR for U9-U14 players, girls specifically?

Did I miss anything?

Comment

"So this is when you know the program is shady . When you have players that didn't make the Thorn's team but they made regional camp. Than they threw a few life lines out and filled the rest of the spots with their team ."

This is worth a reply, and expansion:

Amidst all the awful banter about which program is best, how stupid and clueless everyone else is, the 'proven path' to college and whatever, there has been some honest talk about youth development in OR, and the ODP/RTC program, the DA...

After this cycle, and selection ODP Pools, friendlies and regional camps, for girls, here are my questions:

Is RTC an 'elite' program as billed?
          Does RTC take all comers or is it selective?
          Are Oregon's best players participating in this program?
          Is coaching in RTC consistent among regions?
          In selecting players for ODP Pools is the emphasis on physical attributes and abilities, or decision-making, mentality, or 'soccer IQ?'
          What style of soccer is emphasized in this program, is that style implemented?
          Are Oregon's best and most promising players participating in ODP?
          Are Oregon's best and most promising players participating in Thorns DA?
          What is the relationship between Thorns DA and ODP now?
          Is coaching in ODP consistent across the age groups?
          At the younger ages DA teams are heavily composed of ODP Pool players, what is the reason for this? Should these programs be composed of the same players?
          What is the relationship of Timbers/Thorns alliance clubs to ODP and Thorns DA?
          What is the relationship of independent clubs to the Timbers/Thorns, ODP and DA?
          What is the future of RTC/ODP in Oregon.
          What is the most important consideration in Youth Development in OR for U9-U14 players, girls specifically?

Did I miss anything?

Yes how much does odp/rtc cost the end user?

Comment

Rtc/odp was a huge disappointment.
            Then I guess your kid wasn't what they were looking for to move on to the next step.

Not everyone is a perfect fit for every program. Try a different program.

Comment

If you don't like ODP or Thorns or Ecnl or OYSA, don't do the ones you don't like. No one is forcing anyone.
              The one good thing about pay-to-play soccer: walk with your wallet if you don't like a program.

Comment

So this is when you know the program is shady . When you have players that didn't make the Thorn's team but they made regional camp. Than they threw a few life lines out and filled the rest of the spots with their team .
                Really??

Regional Camp is for 1 week with a possibility of 1 additional week in November, Thorns Academy is for 10 months committment of practice 3-4 x per week(downtown PDX) and travel out of town/State for games.

Your answer is parent quit their job or move in next to training facility?

Thorns program or ECNL program is not a perfect fit for every good player.

Comment

Just go train with Tracy Hasson and you have a good chance of making the academy. He thinks he is a good trainer, but we've been with mailmen, yes mailmen, who were cheaper and better tha Tracy. He's now apologizing to parents for telling them to go to certain clubs. What a joke.
                  So what do you have against Tracy? I'm confused. I get that everyone has a trainer/coach preference as well as an opinion, but this seems awfully personal. I've always heard good things about character/personality, etc. What am I missing?

Comment

So what do you have against Tracy? I'm confused. I get that everyone has a trainer/coach preference as well as an opinion, but this seems awfully personal. I've always heard good things about character/personality, etc. What am I missing?
                    Not the OP but they do make a good point. To make the Academy as an average player you must pay for private training with TH or RM. it suck for the PTFC Academy teams as they are weaker than they could be but at least those two get their pockets lined with cash. They would need the extra cash if the tightass Timbers would pay decent wages. But then if the Timbers were willing to pay decent wages they would have top DA staff

Comment

Not the OP but they do make a good point. To make the Academy as an average player you must pay for private training with TH or RM. it suck for the PTFC Academy teams as they are weaker than they could be but at least those two get their pockets lined with cash. They would need the extra cash if the tightass Timbers would pay decent wages. But then if the Timbers were willing to pay decent wages they would have top DA staff
                      There are more academy players that have not paid to privately train with TH or RM that are on the teams than those who did. Are you saying the players that have privately paid to train with Timbers coaches are the weaker players who otherwise would not have made the team because they are less talented and skilled than other players out there who tried out and did not make the team? If so this means parents are basically buying kids spots on the top team in the state. Sounds like an interesting news story.

Comment

Yeah makes sense on wages. I feel for coaches who love the game but also want to make a decent living... But let me share my story. My kid trained with them and did not make the academy. They were pretty clear they were providing extra training to improve and that is all. We, well my son, got feedback to why he wasn't at that level. He remains motivated and has playing in college on the mind. Something the rose city team has helped with. They don't deserve this abuse. I think the issue that should be addressed is why lessons are sot after. Typical clubs don't provide enough training so kids can compete. 3 hours a week?! That is fine for the families that want balance and a simple experience. But for the kids who want to train all the time, have college goals but are not good enough for academy there is no second tier option. At least not for my kid's age. I hope the young, aspiring coaches stay motivated to keep learning and stay in the game. Because if these negative forum happy parents scare them off, we are left with all the fat old English guys who REALLY are just out for a paycheck.

Comment

There are more academy players that have not paid to privately train with TH or RM that are on the teams than those who did. Are you saying the players that have privately paid to train with Timbers coaches are the weaker players who otherwise would not have made the team because they are less talented and skilled than other players out there who tried out and did not make the team? If so this means parents are basically buying kids spots on the top team in the state. Sounds like an interesting news story.
                          Of course that is what they are saying, and they are correct. Wake up, it has been happening for a long time now. Look no further than the 05 Boys Timbers Academy team. A rich dad, with a Brazillian coach in his back pocket, first goes to ADF and subsidizes the entire 05 group, and a good percentage of the club as a whole. By the end of fall league, Brazillian coach is receiving pressure to not play Rich parent's son as competitively and athletically speaking, he was not at the same level. Brazillian coach answers to Rich Dad, and not club, so no change in playing time was made. Brazillian coach shown the door, Rich Dad takes his Son and $ and leaves. Rich Dad approaches Timbers...and violaa!! A deal is made for Brazillian coach and Dad to run and oversee the 05 Timbers Academy team. Of course son, and his buddies all make the team. As do the kids who were taking private lessons from Brazillian coach. This is not exclusive to the Timbers, and this post is in no way an indictment or an endorsement of the situation. It is, what it is. Meet the new boss....same as the old boss.

Comment

Yeah makes sense on wages. I feel for coaches who love the game but also want to make a decent living... But let me share my story. My kid trained with them and did not make the academy. They were pretty clear they were providing extra training to improve and that is all. We, well my son, got feedback to why he wasn't at that level. He remains motivated and has playing in college on the mind. Something the rose city team has helped with. They don't deserve this abuse. I think the issue that should be addressed is why lessons are sot after. Typical clubs don't provide enough training so kids can compete. 3 hours a week?! That is fine for the families that want balance and a simple experience. But for the kids who want to train all the time, have college goals but are not good enough for academy there is no second tier option. At least not for my kid's age. I hope the young, aspiring coaches stay motivated to keep learning and stay in the game. Because if these negative forum happy parents scare them off, we are left with all the fat old English guys who REALLY are just out for a paycheck.
                            Ouch. There are fat Mexican, Australian, Brazillian Chillean, and Dutch coaches as well that are open and recptive to fleecing parents for tax free payments. Don't see race, color, or national origin....they are all coaches.

Comment

Ouch. There are fat Mexican, Australian, Brazillian Chillean, and Dutch coaches as well that are open and recptive to fleecing parents for tax free payments. Don't see race, color, or national origin....they are all coaches.
                              That is true. I should not have profiled. My experience is not everyones.... But I still think you get my point.

Comment

Of course that is what they are saying, and they are correct. Wake up, it has been happening for a long time now. Look no further than the 05 Boys Timbers Academy team. A rich dad, with a Brazillian coach in his back pocket, first goes to ADF and subsidizes the entire 05 group, and a good percentage of the club as a whole. By the end of fall league, Brazillian coach is receiving pressure to not play Rich parent's son as competitively and athletically speaking, he was not at the same level. Brazillian coach answers to Rich Dad, and not club, so no change in playing time was made. Brazillian coach shown the door, Rich Dad takes his Son and $ and leaves. Rich Dad approaches Timbers...and violaa!! A deal is made for Brazillian coach and Dad to run and oversee the 05 Timbers Academy team. Of course son, and his buddies all make the team. As do the kids who were taking private lessons from Brazillian coach. This is not exclusive to the Timbers, and this post is in no way an indictment or an endorsement of the situation. It is, what it is. Meet the new boss....same as the old boss.
                                The "entire 05 group" at ADF was not subsidized last year.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X