Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Initials of any returning starter from MA this season. I can’t find any. This is a state school remember.
    Schools generally release their final official rosters just before the season starts

Comment

It started that way. Let’s look at last year’s stat sheet. Of the top ten scorers nearly all were Croatian or other internationals. 2 near the bottom were MA players and they have graduated. Another stalwart on the defensive side transferred to BC.
      The post said nothing about 'scorers'. It said most Mass. players were on the bench and that was wrong. At least at Lowell.

Comment

Initials of any returning starter from MA this season. I can’t find any. This is a state school remember.
        The state pays very little of the UMass overall budget.

Comment

The post said nothing about 'scorers'. It said most Mass. players were on the bench and that was wrong. At least at Lowell.
          The stats:

31 players/12 from MA

Of those 12

4 played in more than half of their games
          7 played in 3 or less

None of those 4 are back. 3 graduated and 1 transferred.

Comment

The stats:

31 players/12 from MA

Of those 12

4 played in more than half of their games
            7 played in 3 or less

None of those 4 are back. 3 graduated and 1 transferred.
            I trust my eyes more than your stats. You are wrong. If you're such a fan you would have gone to the games and we wouldn't have to play this game. And since engaging with ignorance is not my favorite pastime, I leave you to play with yourself.

Comment

I trust my eyes more than your stats. You are wrong. If you're such a fan you would have gone to the games and we wouldn't have to play this game. And since engaging with ignorance is not my favorite pastime, I leave you to play with yourself.
              Pure class.

Comment

Pure class.
                Yeah, the truth hurts. Another stat. In 2014, 9 MA kids joined UML. As of their senior year, only 2 remained. The Croation connection played a role in that. D1 Soccer is a business. You do what you have to do to compete. Fine. But don’t be in denial.

Comment

Yeah, the truth hurts. Another stat. In 2014, 9 MA kids joined UML. As of their senior year, only 2 remained. The Croation connection played a role in that. D1 Soccer is a business. You do what you have to do to compete. Fine. But don’t be in denial.
                  For a mid level DA player (not a star, but not a full time bench player either), is a D1 school a realistic goal? How much of the rosters do international students take up? And yes, I am aware that my questions are extremely broad! My son is getting to the age of discussing this topic and he’s all about looking at / focusing on D1 schools... but I’m thinking D2/D3 is much more realistic.

General thoughts on this??

If it helps, he’s very strong academically also (maybe not Ivy League material, but tier below).

Been through the College process before, but adding a sport (possibly) to the mix is much more complex in finding a good fit.

Comment

For a mid level DA player (not a star, but not a full time bench player either), is a D1 school a realistic goal? How much of the rosters do international students take up? And yes, I am aware that my questions are extremely broad! My son is getting to the age of discussing this topic and he’s all about looking at / focusing on D1 schools... but I’m thinking D2/D3 is much more realistic.

If it helps, he’s very strong academically also (maybe not Ivy League material, but tier below).

Been through the College process before, but adding a sport (possibly) to the mix is much more complex in finding a good fit.
                    He should do some research on what it means to be a D1 athlete. It's not all sunshine and roses. The time commitment is massive, the competition for your job nonstop. It's pretty much just school and soccer, very little of anything else. Problem is at a younger age they think that all sounds great! Kids usually start to get more perspective in high school. Both you of you should closely examine the rosters of schools that are realistic academic targets*. Where do most of the players come from? Is the roster filled with top players from top DA clubs, NT level players, international studs? Then it's probably not a realistic target.

This thread is also helpful as well. A poster tracks commits each year so you can see where local players wind up. http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showth...al+commitments You'll see that not many wind up at top D1 soccer programs and that some non DA players also wind up in lower level D1. He also follows up and tracks their college careers. A large number aren't even playing by junior year. That is why academic fit is so important. The odds of playing four meaningful years isn't great. DA definitely isn't necessary for D3 - there's very few international players and there's more roster spots available. This is a good place for overall #s to see the realities http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

* Academic fit should always be the goal, not athletics. Coaches only have so much pull with admissions. Unless your kid is a stud for that program he has to largely be able to get admitted on his own.

Comment

Yeah, your problem being on DA is that his top teammates will be bragging about their D1 looks and top D1 coaches will give your son a look although they are likely thinking depth player with little or no $$. If your coach is trustworthy, have him offer your kid a realistic assessment. The commitment threads here are useful. Mid level DA players have done quite well at top D3 schools. The D1 story is not so good. If he is determined, perhaps a low level Patriot team could work like Lehigh or Lafayette. Key is what level school and major your kid is looking at. If it is a tech major, combining it with D1 soccer is difficult to impossible.

Comment

He should do some research on what it means to be a D1 athlete. It's not all sunshine and roses. The time commitment is massive, the competition for your job nonstop. It's pretty much just school and soccer, very little of anything else. Problem is at a younger age they think that all sounds great! Kids usually start to get more perspective in high school. Both you of you should closely examine the rosters of schools that are realistic academic targets*. Where do most of the players come from? Is the roster filled with top players from top DA clubs, NT level players, international studs? Then it's probably not a realistic target.

This thread is also helpful as well. A poster tracks commits each year so you can see where local players wind up. http://talking-soccer.com/TS4/showth...al+commitments You'll see that not many wind up at top D1 soccer programs and that some non DA players also wind up in lower level D1. He also follows up and tracks their college careers. A large number aren't even playing by junior year. That is why academic fit is so important. The odds of playing four meaningful years isn't great. DA definitely isn't necessary for D3 - there's very few international players and there's more roster spots available. This is a good place for overall #s to see the realities http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html

* Academic fit should always be the goal, not athletics. Coaches only have so much pull with admissions. Unless your kid is a stud for that program he has to largely be able to get admitted on his own.
                        Thank you. Helpful. He’s all about soccer for now... but I recognize things change down the road. He’s also somewhat unrealistic (in my opinion) about what that means to be a D1 athlete, so I appreciate the reminder there.

Comment

Yeah, your problem being on DA is that his top teammates will be bragging about their D1 looks and top D1 coaches will give your son a look although they are likely thinking depth player with little or no $$. If your coach is trustworthy, have him offer your kid a realistic assessment. The commitment threads here are useful. Mid level DA players have done quite well at top D3 schools. The D1 story is not so good. If he is determined, perhaps a low level Patriot team could work like Lehigh or Lafayette. Key is what level school and major your kid is looking at. If it is a tech major, combining it with D1 soccer is difficult to impossible.
                          Thank you.

Comment

If it is a tech major, combining it with D1 soccer is difficult to impossible.
                            My kid was told this at an Ivy no less. At some D1 schools, depending on when the team practices, it may not be logistically possible to complete the degree requirements AND play soccer.

Comment

My kid was told this at an Ivy no less. At some D1 schools, depending on when the team practices, it may not be logistically possible to complete the degree requirements AND play soccer.
                              "complete the degree requirements for some majors"

Comment

Yeah, morning labs compete with AM practice in my experience. Our friend’s kid was constantly hassled about this. Got his degree but played little to no soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X