Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Do you even realize just how stupid you come across? You clearly have no clue what the prep school scene is like. We are essentially talking about prep schools giving some sort of special consideration to a kid because of his ability to play soccer. The way the prep schools operate that’s not just some average freshman kid who might be able to make its varsity, they expect that kid to not only start but be an impact player. It’s not any different with prep school kids who do things like music, theater or entrepreneurship, they want super stars. They are not interested in projects or near misses.
    No, the question was, what's the nest prep school for academics and soccer. You've twisted that simple question into "your kid is terrible because he's not being recruited". I am extremely familiar with prep school soccer. I don't think the focus on the handful of kids that are serious soccer recruits is helpful in a general discussion. Mostly because there are only one or two kids in Massachusetts to whom that sort of advice would apply. Probably half, if not more, of soccer recruits are international kids. So, no, I don't think sneering at someone because their kid wasn't heavily recruited is helpful at all.

If your son wants to play high level soccer, and have food academics, which schools would you recommend. Discussing that would help the OP.

Comment

Milton will not see the likes of Levee and Shapiro-Thompson ever again. Glory days are gone, the landscape has dramatically changed. Best of luck Chris!
      Brooks won it all last year. The landscape hasn't changed much at all. Some ISL/Prep schools have gotten stronger others have dropped off. Same story. That Milton team was super strong but AST was not a big contributor- got knocked off the ball a lot. Ozor in the front Levee, SQ and DJ in the middle and a solid backline with AB, GBG, LV and JC was what made them great.

Comment

No, the question was, what's the nest prep school for academics and soccer. You've twisted that simple question into "your kid is terrible because he's not being recruited". I am extremely familiar with prep school soccer. I don't think the focus on the handful of kids that are serious soccer recruits is helpful in a general discussion. Mostly because there are only one or two kids in Massachusetts to whom that sort of advice would apply. Probably half, if not more, of soccer recruits are international kids. So, no, I don't think sneering at someone because their kid wasn't heavily recruited is helpful at all.

If your son wants to play high level soccer, and have food academics, which schools would you recommend. Discussing that would help the OP.
        Parent was touting his kid as a D1 prospect. That means that they believe that their kid is one of your 1-2 kids. The real number is probably about 25 but that's another thread for you to start. The idea that the parent of a D1 prospect would have to come on TS to figure out the prep school landscape is absurd. The whole little fiction that was created just doesn't make one bit of sense. It just speaks to how out of touch the op actually is about the upper tiers of club soccer.

Comment

Parent was touting his kid as a D1 prospect. That means that they believe that their kid is one of your 1-2 kids. The real number is probably about 25 but that's another thread for you to start. The idea that the parent of a D1 prospect would have to come on TS to figure out the prep school landscape is absurd. The whole little fiction that was created just doesn't make one bit of sense. It just speaks to how out of touch the op actually is about the upper tiers of club soccer.
          Sigh. It is best. Has all the signature "tells".

No, Paul, not every boy who ends up playing d1 is known in 8th grade. Give it a rest, will you?

Comment

No, Paul, not every boy who ends up playing d1 is known in 8th grade. Give it a rest, will you?
            Darn you, autocorrect! BTDT, not best!

Comment

Brooks won it all last year. The landscape hasn't changed much at all. Some ISL/Prep schools have gotten stronger others have dropped off. Same story. That Milton team was super strong but AST was not a big contributor- got knocked off the ball a lot. Ozor in the front Levee, SQ and DJ in the middle and a solid backline with AB, GBG, LV and JC was what made them great.
              who are the stronger ISL/Prep schools (in soccer)?

Comment

who are the stronger ISL/Prep schools (in soccer)?
                for Boys Prep Soccer:

I think Middlesex and Milton will make the top three this year

Top five ISL last year
                Brooks 6 0 3
                Belmont Hill 6 2 1
                Milton 6 2 1
                Rivers 5 0 4
                Middlesex 5 1 3

Top five WNEPSSA last year

https://wnepssa.wordpress.com/final-2017-rankings/

BERKSHIRE
                SOUTH KENT
                AVON
                LOOMIS
                TAFT

Comment

for Boys Prep Soccer:

I think Middlesex and Milton will make the top three this year

Top five ISL last year
                  Brooks 6 0 3
                  Belmont Hill 6 2 1
                  Milton 6 2 1
                  Rivers 5 0 4
                  Middlesex 5 1 3

Top five WNEPSSA last year

https://wnepssa.wordpress.com/final-2017-rankings/

BERKSHIRE
                  SOUTH KENT
                  AVON
                  LOOMIS
                  TAFT
                  Not disagreeing with you; Northfield Mount Herman and Hotchkiss have strong programs as well. There's a class C school in Maine (drawing a blank on the name) that's got a very strong soccer program.

Comment

What about for girls? Is prep school soccer a big deal? Have a girl who is looking to decide on prep school for the year after next. Solid player, too early to say how far she's going. Trying to figure out if soccer should factor in to school choices. She will be a day student so just continuing with club is an option.

Comment

What about for girls? Is prep school soccer a big deal? Have a girl who is looking to decide on prep school for the year after next. Solid player, too early to say how far she's going. Trying to figure out if soccer should factor in to school choices. She will be a day student so just continuing with club is an option.
                      You would need to do more than prep soccer, if she's serious about it. I think club would be really tough to fit in as their schedule doesn't mesh with the prep school schedule (e.g. Saturday games, when prep schools have Saturday classes).

Black Rock Prep Academy teams fit with the schedule, but I don't even know if they have prep girls' teams.

I know Hotchkiss has a strong girl's team.

Comment

You would need to do more than prep soccer, if she's serious about it. I think club would be really tough to fit in as their schedule doesn't mesh with the prep school schedule (e.g. Saturday games, when prep schools have Saturday classes).

Black Rock Prep Academy teams fit with the schedule, but I don't even know if they have prep girls' teams.

I know Hotchkiss has a strong girl's team.
                        Flatly incorrect. A number of girls teams in the ISL are packed with players playing on the top teams of high end clubs (Stars, NEFC, etc) and those kids and schools all make it work. Nobles, Thayer, BBN rank among the recent stronger programs, but Milton, Rivers, Groton and others all have kids who have committed to D1 soccer programs in recent years.

Comment

Flatly incorrect. A number of girls teams in the ISL are packed with players playing on the top teams of high end clubs (Stars, NEFC, etc) and those kids and schools all make it work. Nobles, Thayer, BBN rank among the recent stronger programs, but Milton, Rivers, Groton and others all have kids who have committed to D1 soccer programs in recent years.
                          Hey, hey. I know prep school players play club soccer but surely you can't deny that it isn't easy. It also makes it very tough to do anything other than soccer and schoolwork.

Comment

Hey, hey. I know prep school players play club soccer but surely you can't deny that it isn't easy. It also makes it very tough to do anything other than soccer and schoolwork.
                            Think you will find that there are differences in how boarding schools and day schools operate. It's usually the boarding schools that are somewhat difficult to deal with but even then you shouldn't just cross them off the list without having a discussion with the school about your kid's specific needs.

Comment

People like you send families down this insane soccer road with little more than hope that their kid might actually have some actual talent. It's precisely the sort of delusion that is taking over youth sports and is fueling the spending wars that many parents now engage in. The cold hard reality though is that if your kid is not widely recognized as one of the standout players in the area by the 8th grade the chances that they will go on to become even a college level player is really slim to none. Sure there are always outliers but even those are usually not the surprises they appear to be. Take for example the well worn Michael Jordon story that so many cling to as the quintessential example of the late bloomer. It is actually based upon a lie that he was some unknown that became the great Michael Jordon after he grew 6 inches between his sophomore and junior year. The truth about Michael Jordan is he was always the known as best athlete in his area from around the age of 8-9 and had he not grown that 6 inches he might have gone on to be a professional baseball player instead. So perhaps you and your little engine that could fantasy might be the one who should take a time out.

Comment

People like you send families down this insane soccer road with little more than hope that their kid might actually have some actual talent. It's precisely the sort of delusion that is taking over youth sports and is fueling the spending wars that many parents now engage in. The cold hard reality though is that if your kid is not widely recognized as one of the standout players in the area by the 8th grade the chances that they will go on to become even a college level player is really slim to none. Sure there are always outliers but even those are usually not the surprises they appear to be. Take for example the well worn Michael Jordon story that so many cling to as the quintessential example of the late bloomer. It is actually based upon a lie that he was some unknown that became the great Michael Jordon after he grew 6 inches between his sophomore and junior year. The truth about Michael Jordan is he was always the known as best athlete in his area from around the age of 8-9 and had he not grown that 6 inches he might have gone on to be a professional baseball player instead. So perhaps you and your little engine that could fantasy might be the one who should take a time out.
                                Paul, Paul, Paul. Why are you so hell bent on telling people their kids are s***? Especially since you know nothing about them.

Your signed posts are useful. These, "your kid is garbage" posts, not at all.

I'm not directing anyone down any path. I'm giving them facts and letting them decide for themselves.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X