• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DA changes coming

Changes in restrictions ,especially no high school play will be coming

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Then it won’t be Academy. That’s the whole point.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      They will probably relax the subbing rules and allow player movement too. :)

Comment

Not really. Competing with ECNL was the point. In the end, US Soccer would create whatever PowerPoint they needed to, completely contradicting everything they said when they launched GDA, if they determined it was necessary for the business objectives of GDA.

Comment

They will probably relax the subbing rules and allow player movement too. :)
          I'm only hoping for a change in the subbing rules, as those are currently hurting the development for those only playing 10 minutes a game. Relaxing the restrictions on high school would hurt the development of those unable to participate in DA for 2-3 months, so that's going in the wrong direction, but I can see why they might need to do it in order to retain those top players who have their sights set on the college path (which is almost all the top girls, and many top boys, right now).

Comment

I want to see a change to single age bands. I've noticed this year that other clubs find it easier to get the ear of a BBA parent by offering stability to their kid. Even middle roster players worry about being moved due to ages combining. Chaos happens the spring before teams merge. It becomes too easy for other clubs to poach players.

Comment

The timing seems to me to be reactionary to the clubs that chose to move back to ECNL and are giving the DA the Heisman. The DA brand is moving in the wrong direction and the changes may be too late to reverse the tide. Get the changes out now before tryouts so the players can make an informed decision about where to be next year.

Comment

The timing seems to me to be reactionary to the clubs that chose to move back to ECNL and are giving the DA the Heisman. The DA brand is moving in the wrong direction and the changes may be too late to reverse the tide. Get the changes out now before tryouts so the players can make an informed decision about where to be next year.
                DA rosters all but set before tryouts. They do ID clinics and they are complete. They are just finalizing the remaining spots this week.

Comment

Not for next season, I wouldn't think...

Comment

Saw on another board HS is kaput. Starting this fall only private school waivers

Comment

DA rosters all but set before tryouts. They do ID clinics and they are complete. They are just finalizing the remaining spots this week.
                      Funny, my daughter plays on one of the top teams in the East. Year after year, there are additions to the roster post tryouts, id events, etc, so everything is set until it changes.

Comment

Saw on another board HS is kaput. Starting this fall only private school waivers
                        They really need to go one way or the other. Either waivers are allowed or not. This private school waiver thing is a reason my kid would never play Academy (and yes they would like him). He goes to a public school with a good soccer program. Now, he's going to give that up so the private school kids can play for their schools and wander in and out when they want? Nope. Having said that, he wouldn't be national team material or anything which would be the only reason to put up with that crap.

Comment

They really need to go one way or the other. Either waivers are allowed or not. This private school waiver thing is a reason my kid would never play Academy (and yes they would like him). He goes to a public school with a good soccer program. Now, he's going to give that up so the private school kids can play for their schools and wander in and out when they want? Nope. Having said that, he wouldn't be national team material or anything which would be the only reason to put up with that crap.
                          They tried going no HS when GDA as first announced but quickly saw they'd have to grandfather girls in to get the numbers and talent they needed. But it obviously causes loads of headaches and there are spotty reports of kids and clubs violating the rules anyway. That just causes more problems. There was less resistance with the boys because the boys didn't have a strong ECNL-like alternative. With MLS free to play clubs it's easier to justify giving up HS. There's almost none of that in GDA.

I don't think they'd ever get rid of the private school exemption. I agree with what you say and all the issues it causes. But there are kids who are given tremendous educational opportunities because of sports. Is it fair to deny them that to train in DA - when in all likelihood they'll just end up at a good college anyway? Virtually no one is going pro. Also I don't think it's as big an issue in other parts of the country where there aren't as many private or prep schools. NE is thick with them.

Comment

They tried going no HS when GDA as first announced but quickly saw they'd have to grandfather girls in to get the numbers and talent they needed. But it obviously causes loads of headaches and there are spotty reports of kids and clubs violating the rules anyway. That just causes more problems. There was less resistance with the boys because the boys didn't have a strong ECNL-like alternative. With MLS free to play clubs it's easier to justify giving up HS. There's almost none of that in GDA.

I don't think they'd ever get rid of the private school exemption. I agree with what you say and all the issues it causes. But there are kids who are given tremendous educational opportunities because of sports. Is it fair to deny them that to train in DA - when in all likelihood they'll just end up at a good college anyway? Virtually no one is going pro. Also I don't think it's as big an issue in other parts of the country where there aren't as many private or prep schools. NE is thick with them.
                            I get that to an extent... but at the same time, life is about choices. Why should the private school / prep school kids be given waivers above other players who would like the same opportunity to play for their high schools if they were able to join in on the waiver fraud. It's just one of those things that seems pretty elitist. From a team standpoint, how could their teammates not be frustrated with that double standard? Is there a limit for waivers that are allowed to be given out per team?

Comment

I get that to an extent... but at the same time, life is about choices. Why should the private school / prep school kids be given waivers above other players who would like the same opportunity to play for their high schools if they were able to join in on the waiver fraud. It's just one of those things that seems pretty elitist. From a team standpoint, how could their teammates not be frustrated with that double standard? Is there a limit for waivers that are allowed to be given out per team?
                              The claim is that some private school players either have scholarships because of sports or are required to play sports as part of being in the school. So they theoretically have no coice. But the double standard is pretty silly on the girl's side -- just because you go to a private school you get more options? In the Northeast we have some very good public schools (and some even have decent soccer programs). The whole GDA thing is so poorly managed.

Seriously, if ECNL just buckled up a little more with a more structured/uniform practice curriculum and encouraged (or required) clubs to videotape and share game videos, they would be offsetting some of the arguments people make for GDA.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X