Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

US Soccer Needs to Add U16 DA - How do we do it?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Soccer Needs to Add U16 DA - How do we do it?

I see failure in the US Soccer Development Academy forcing over half the players out of the program when they are 14 and 15 years old by combining U16 and U17. On our team only 3 players out of 18 are remaining in the Development Academy from U15 to the U16/U17 Team - that's 83% of the best players being forced out of US Soccer if other teams pick like our team does. A top Corinthians Development Coach stated that the worst player at 13 and 14 years old can be the best player at 15 and 16 years old due to growth and life changes given the have adequate technical skills. The point being Brazil cultivates the age group and the US Soccer pushes them out of the program at age 14 and 15 years old. With the change of leadership, I would expect a change but I have not seen one yet. It looks to be a lot of talk and no action from US Soccer. BTW, 95% of the US Teams come from the Development Academy Program.

How do we get US Soccer's Attention?

The U18/U19 combination is not that bad due to many of the boys go to College at U19 but they should be separated too; however, I think the priority should be U16.

Additionally, the Academies should like to have additional revenue of another 18 players.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I see failure in the US Soccer Development Academy forcing over half the players out of the program when they are 14 and 15 years old by combining U16 and U17. On our team only 3 players out of 18 are remaining in the Development Academy from U15 to the U16/U17 Team - that's 83% of the best players being forced out of US Soccer if other teams pick like our team does. A top Corinthians Development Coach stated that the worst player at 13 and 14 years old can be the best player at 15 and 16 years old due to growth and life changes given the have adequate technical skills. The point being Brazil cultivates the age group and the US Soccer pushes them out of the program at age 14 and 15 years old. With the change of leadership, I would expect a change but I have not seen one yet. It looks to be a lot of talk and no action from US Soccer. BTW, 95% of the US Teams come from the Development Academy Program.

The U18/U19 combination is not that bad due to many of the boys go to College at U19 but they should be separated too; however, I think the priority should be U16.

Additionally, the Academies should like to have additional revenue of another 18 players.
    How about stop whining like a little bitch thinking that us soccer actually gives a rats ass. They are in it for the money.

You should figure out that development doesn't need a patch or thousands of miles of travel.

If you can develop a player without us soccer then you are lost

Comment

How about stop whining like a little bitch thinking that us soccer actually gives a rats ass. They are in it for the money.

You should figure out that development doesn't need a patch or thousands of miles of travel.

If you can develop a player without us soccer then you are lost
      Providing subsidized training to athletes is something being done for the money? Gawd, you make no sense whatsoever.

The idea is a good one. While "patches" are meaningless, moving players from a club environment (where they train for several hours per week) to a professional academy environment (where they train full-time; and yes I know the Timbers' Academy is not there, but some of the DA's are) is not meaningless.

Much to improve about US Soccer and the DA program. But the advice of whining club and HS coaches, upset that they are no longer overseeing the development of elite players (and no longer able to win trophies with such players as ringers, and claim credit for their progress), should be used to clean your bottom and then flushed down the crapper.

Comment

At least the U17's beat Haiti 3-2 to clinch their WC birth!

Comment

Your kid got cut because they weren't good enough so the system should be changed just for you?

Comment

Your kid got cut because they weren't good enough so the system should be changed just for you?
            Two-year age groups are generally a problem, unless there's a requirement that a certain percentage of the roster be from the younger class. Otherwise, there's the temptation to load up with older kids--meaning that many of the U15s who played on the squad the prior year don't make the squad the next year (and return to their old clubs); but may make the squad again the following year when they are in the older age cohort.

Comment

Because the net gets smaller and smaller the older players get. US Soccer is looking for future national team players. Those 3 were the only younger ones at this time. Next year, if some of the ones cut improve a lot and pass others by, they will make the roster next year. The very best possible national team talent will make it year by year and the list will change year by year. It isn’t about making money. It’s about only taking the very best players.

Comment

This happened last year with the start of GDA with the 2002s combined with the 2001s. Not sure why the 2003 parent group is as upset about this considering they have known about combined age groups from the beginning. The upside is, next year they will be the older group when the 03s combine with the 04s.

Comment

That's what it's about. USSF doesn't care about kids who aren't good enough to make the cut. Clubs of course would love the extra revenue. But two age group teams are one of the few good things about DA, especially if the goal is to develop future pro and NT level players. For the rest it's about college and irrelevant to USSF.

Comment

This happened last year with the start of GDA with the 2002s combined with the 2001s. Not sure why the 2003 parent group is as upset about this considering they have known about combined age groups from the beginning. The upside is, next year they will be the older group when the 03s combine with the 04s.
                    Because they never thought it might happen to their kid. Then reality sets in

Comment

At least the U17's beat Haiti 3-2 to clinch their WC birth!
                      Country with a population of 350 million vs a country with a population of 10 million with no budget for girl’s soccer. US beats Haiti 3-2, just hanging on in the end. Majority of US players are the product of ECNL development.

Comment

I blame GDA. That’s ridiculous we scrape by against Haiti.

Comment

Should have done the math before you got involved in this program. The math doesn't work, the idea doesn't work. Its a European BS system forced down your throat. REGRETS!

Comment

Should have done the math before you got involved in this program. The math doesn't work, the idea doesn't work. Its a European BS system forced down your throat. REGRETS!
                            Yes we do have a different reality than Europe - fewer pro clubs, some of whom aren't even making much money, means little support for youth soccer. That in turn means pay to play, which not only keeps some players out but also leads to parent expectations. College is the end goal for most players, even boys, not a professional path. USSF is trying to jam in a system that doesn't fit well here. It needs to change.

Comment

Back in at U16

Would it make sense that the 15 U16's that were not selected to the mixed U16/17 group will be front runner for next year?

Until then play club soccer and get a ton of minutes.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X