Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    NCAA is not who should investigate the UP womens' team coaches recruiting patterns. Why would the NCAA care that the coaching staff builds underwhelming teams with local club pets rather than the best talent available? (Don't tell me this is the best talent available, parents, unless those FC teams are winning big at the national level.) The university itself should care and do something about it.
    Yes. And many schools or AD's don't care. At plenty of schools athletics costs more than it takes in, especially if they aren't blessed with BIG football and basketball programs (that rake in the lucrative TV deals). Soccer and many sports will never be revenue positive and are off the radar at many schools. The approach to programs and coaches is more this route: do ok (winning a division is nice but not required, but don't be a basement dweller either), don't cost us too much money, don't do anything to shine a negative spotlight on the school (in other words make sure an assistant coach isn't sleeping with a player or a player says something really stupid on social media). Do all that, maybe schmooze the AD now and then and you can keep your job for a long time. Coaches who are looking for that will gravitate to those types of schools. Coaches with a passion for winning and building programs will go to schools that foster that.

Comment

😂

I don't have a daughter but I am a person who can read and think critically. I would LOVE it if Oregon girls (regardless of previous club affiliation) were keeping UP nationally relevant. They are not. Ultimately, it comes down to coaching and team selection and those decisions fall primarily on GS. If they were having success, we wouldn't be having this conversation.
      Oregon girls aren't getting the job done. Why can't we all put our soccer energies into figuring out why ecnl/academy/timbers clubs/non-timbers clubs all can't produce more nationally relevant girls? That is our problem. Not whether GDA or ECNL is better. I know all of our girls could do better but how?

Comment

Oregon girls aren't getting the job done. Why can't we all put our soccer energies into figuring out why ecnl/academy/timbers clubs/non-timbers clubs all can't produce more nationally relevant girls? That is our problem. Not whether GDA or ECNL is better. I know all of our girls could do better but how?
        For starters much better technical training at younger ages.

Comment

If you want to see clueless in action, look in the mirror.

Kansas State has a roster of something like 35 kids. I know some of them that they took from Texas teams and those girls were very marginal. KSU would take anyone who played at the Texans, Sting or FC Dallas, ignoring that those clubs have 7 - 10 teams per age group and the disparity of talent is wide.

And if Oregon is so good, then why do they finish last in the Pac 12 every year? They haven't sniffed the tournament in years. But by all means, those so cal kids look good on paper. LOL.

And so funny that you throw out names like Chris Lemay. Have you ever spoken with him? Gee, I have. He's a decent enough guy, but he was the beneficiary at SD Surf of working at a great club in the middle of tons of talent that naturally gravitated to him. Hell, he got a girl from Brazil who just happened to move in to the area who is an incredible talent. That's not coaching, that's LUCK. It's like calling Paris Hilton a genius. No, she's just a member of the lucky sperm club. Same with the other top clubs down there. Just because a coach is fortunate enough to have talent walk through his door doesn't mean he's a good coach.

But of course, this is why you are not a DOC or an AD, you are just a dad with a daughter who only is attractive to PCC.
          The clueless person is yourself. Are you comparing me to DOC's in Oregon? Funny.
          The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. GS is the same thing as well as your thinking.

Comment

The clueless person is yourself. Are you comparing me to DOC's in Oregon? Funny.
            The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. GS is the same thing as well as your thinking.
            Sort of like you going on here over and over bitching about soccer in Oregon?

Comment

This is the sort of retort you get when you have been owned. Sort of like bringing a knife to a gunfight. If you are going to pop off about college programs and coaches, at least have a clue.

Comment

Has anyone every considered that there are 334 D1 women's soccer programs out there.
                U of P was a different era. Now there is some serious competition. As for UO and OSU, they are not bad teams but are playing in an outrageously difficult league.

The Pac-12 has the second-most teams in the poll with five members in the preseason top 25 for the first time since 2010. The Conference is also tied for first nationally with three teams making the top 10.

The Oregon soccer sucks is stupid. Many of these teams would routinely beat most other D1 teams. Everyone can't be in the top 10. It does suck but there you go.
                This is extremely thoughtful and on point. First, women's D1 soccer has become wildly competitive. You don't see UNC routinely winning the championship like they did. Why? Because the other ACC schools started putting effort and money into their women's programs. Ditto Big 12 and Pac 12 schools and SEC schools aren't just standing by idly. Ever been to a P5 schools and looked at their facilities? They are incredible. It's not easy to be at the top every year.

As to Oregon and Oregon State, the issue isn't that they aren't ranked, the issue is that they are at the bottom of the Pac 12 year after year. Anyone who thinks Kat isn't a dead woman walking just doesn't have a clue. She needs a top 7 finish in the Pac 12 this year and with how the conference is loaded, I don't see it happening. Linus is only slightly better than Kat. If OSU is serious about improving their program, they would fire him and bring in someone that actually knows how to recruit. His "we do things differently here" meaning that OSU is always the last to fill out their class means that he is taking the second tier players, at best. Don't expect much from Oregon or Oregon State this year and in the years ahead, other than likely coaching changes.

Comment

This is the sort of retort you get when you have been owned. Sort of like bringing a knife to a gunfight. If you are going to pop off about college programs and coaches, at least have a clue.
                  Any of those assts are better than smith. The command less salary and would do just the same.

Comment

Any of those assts are better than smith. The command less salary and would do just the same.
                    https://www.google.com/amp/s/pac-12....hes-poll%3famp

Looks dim for Oregon schools

Comment

Utah was picked to be #9 in the PAC12 last year and ended up having a pretty good season.

Colorado was picked #10 and ended up #3.

It is sports.

Comment

Utah was picked to be #9 in the PAC12 last year and ended up having a pretty good season.

It is sports.
                        Who cares about pre-season polls. It's your record that gets into playoffs.

Comment

I think and hope Oregon will do a little better this year. The Pac12 is an extremely tough league. Many of the other rosters are full of national pool players. Regardless, I'm rooting for the U of O to do well! Go Ducks!

Comment

That was my point that you responded to.

Comment

It is sports.
                              "A pretty good season", yes, going to the sweet 16 is a "pretty good season". And they lost in that round to eventual champion USC. For those who think Oregon or Oregon State will improve, remember that you have two of the past three national champions in the conference along with Utah, who made the sweet 16 last year, Colorado who makes the tournament on a regular basis, an always tough WSU and a UW team that underperformed last year but should be vastly improved this year. And of course Stanford. UO and OSU better hope that Arizona and Arizona State provide some easy wins and that somehow they can get a win somewhere else along the way. Prediction, spots 9-12 go to UO, OSU, Arizona and ASU, only the order is in question. That will definitely get Kat fired and will make 2018 a make or break season for Linus.

Comment

I don't have problems with the top 3, but Colorado should be 4, Cal 5 and Utah 6. Although I would I would not count UW or WSU out for landing in the top 6.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X