Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Massachusetts

Notices

Massachusetts Discussions about Massachusetts soccer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-07-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Academic tip for D3 recruiting?

I know this exists in the Ivys but does this also exist with academically strong D3s? Son plays for a DA club for the class of 2021. GPA is 3.6 at an academically rigorous high school but his SAT score is not in the lower end of regular acceptances. He is scoring around 1150-1200 on practice SAT tests. We’ve hired a tutor to increase his scores but realistically he’ll probably top out at 1250. Do coaches have any sway in the admissions process for a likely letter?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-07-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yes, absolutely. However no likely letters in d3. And, how much of a tip probably varies by institution. Best bet is to get in touch with coaches and go from there. They will be aware of the grades/scores needed to have it make sense to submit for a preread.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-07-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I know this exists in the Ivys but does this also exist with academically strong D3s? Son plays for a DA club for the class of 2021. GPA is 3.6 at an academically rigorous high school but his SAT score is not in the lower end of regular acceptances. He is scoring around 1150-1200 on practice SAT tests. We’ve hired a tutor to increase his scores but realistically he’ll probably top out at 1250. Do coaches have any sway in the admissions process for a likely letter?
You really need to adjust your expectations. There are boys applying to ivies with 4.0/1450 who are better soccer players than your son. If your son was on USMNT u17 team with 3.6/1150 he would not be in the mix for ivies or even NESCAC schools. Coaches can support solid (slightly below standard) candidates if they are exceptional players. It's shocking to see so many parents with no real understanding of the entire process and expect coaches to pull strings for their child when there is no chance of that happening.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-07-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I know this exists in the Ivys but does this also exist with academically strong D3s? Son plays for a DA club for the class of 2021. GPA is 3.6 at an academically rigorous high school but his SAT score is not in the lower end of regular acceptances. He is scoring around 1150-1200 on practice SAT tests. We’ve hired a tutor to increase his scores but realistically he’ll probably top out at 1250. Do coaches have any sway in the admissions process for a likely letter?
Don't push him too hard into a school where he may struggle. Academic fit matters even more than soccer fit. D3s have no academic support. D3 coaches can give a gentle nudge for a top player. But they don't hold a lot of sway and can't nudge more than a few. He'll still need to be close in range to admissions requirements. Realistically a coach doesn't want a player that might struggle either. Find the right fit.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-07-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yes, absolutely. However no likely letters in d3. And, how much of a tip probably varies by institution. Best bet is to get in touch with coaches and go from there. They will be aware of the grades/scores needed to have it make sense to submit for a preread.
Players often times hear what they want to hear from D3 coaches. Listen carefully. Often times what coaches really say is "If you can get in there's a spot for you" That's it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-07-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You really need to adjust your expectations. There are boys applying to ivies with 4.0/1450 who are better soccer players than your son. If your son was on USMNT u17 team with 3.6/1150 he would not be in the mix for ivies or even NESCAC schools. Coaches can support solid (slightly below standard) candidates if they are exceptional players. It's shocking to see so many parents with no real understanding of the entire process and expect coaches to pull strings for their child when there is no chance of that happening.
Well, first, don't be a doooosh. OP asked a question, so climb down from your high horse and help out.

Second, how do you know there are players better than the OP's son?

Last, and this point will be different as it's for girls, but my niece got into Bowdoin with just "pretty good" grades based on coach going to bat for her. Without her athletics, she would not have been Bowdoin material.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-07-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Players often times hear what they want to hear from D3 coaches. Listen carefully. Often times what coaches really say is "If you can get in there's a spot for you" That's it.
Usually three levels with 2 or 3 spots each, the higher the academics the lower the level of competition.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-07-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Last, and this point will be different as it's for girls, but my niece got into Bowdoin with just "pretty good" grades based on coach going to bat for her. Without her athletics, she would not have been Bowdoin material.
GPA?

SATs?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-07-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
GPA?

SATs?
Sorry, don't have exact info but I do know she was a B student. Not a "high B, almost an A", just a flat out B.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-07-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Usually three levels with 2 or 3 spots each, the higher the academics the lower the level of competition.
Wrong. Many high academic D3's with very competitive soccer. Academic push is available at some but varies greatly by school. Speak to the coach directly.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.