Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    To say that many referees don’t understand the offside rule is a ridiculous statement. I would guess that they know the rule much better than you do.
    Says the ISL referee.

Comment

To say that many referees don’t understand the offside rule is a ridiculous statement. I would guess that they know the rule much better than you do.
      I would imagine that all referees can recite the offside rule without difficulty. That doesn't mean that they don't have trouble calling it effectively.

The problem I see most often is on longer balls played over the top, where the forward is well onside but starts running early and zooms past a slow-reacting defender after the ball is played. When the ball lands the offensive player with the head start is several yards beyond the defender and the flag goes up. I suspect that it's because the official didn't accurately judge the timing of the run and when the ball was struck, and just assumed(?) that a player that far beyond the defense had to have been offside.

Comment

I would imagine that all referees can recite the offside rule without difficulty. That doesn't mean that they don't have trouble calling it effectively.

The problem I see most often is on longer balls played over the top, where the forward is well onside but starts running early and zooms past a slow-reacting defender after the ball is played. When the ball lands the offensive player with the head start is several yards beyond the defender and the flag goes up. I suspect that it's because the official didn't accurately judge the timing of the run and when the ball was struck, and just assumed(?) that a player that far beyond the defense had to have been offside.
        I agree. I’ve seen this too many times. What hurts even more is when one AR is good at this and the other isn’t - so offides are correctly called for one team and not for the other.

Comment

I agree. I’ve seen this too many times. What hurts even more is when one AR is good at this and the other isn’t - so offides are correctly called for one team and not for the other.
          switching sides at half evens that out a bit, I think. But you're right to the extent that the play can tilt dramatically in one direction when the ARs call it differently. It's almost like playing with a sustained 25mph wind going in one direction.

Comment

If your kid is a stud and has the grades, test scores, etc and the prep school
            loves soccer (meaning most of the them), then your kid will have a big plus
            during admissions process. Remember, school THEN soccer.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X