Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Directly running development programs with club partners is new to USSF. My guess is they're experimenting or the clubs are pulling one way and they are now pushing back the other.

Most young kids aren't going to make it to a 14+ DA program. They'll drop out of soccer or maybe just play at a less competitive level for whatever reason. Everyone knows that.
    Still it seems strange they would step away from a money making opportunity with little downside to them. My hunch is they announce splitting the U17s into two separate ages to make up for lost income

Comment

I don't know if this is real, but assuming it is. U12 DA did result in a consolidation of players both within each club (pulling top players from all regions) and poaching from non-DA clubs. I also like the idea of 2 squads both for the numbers at training and variation in the game-day teams. I am pretty sure that a bunch of kids trained 3x a week doing U12 academy that would have only trained 2x if not on a U12 DA team. Otherwise, it was pretty much the same as being in NEP. My kid would have enjoyed another year of town soccer, but he would pick U12 DA if given the option.

Comment

They are taking the high road if they are saying this is for better player development.

I think it's two things:
        1) There aren't enough quality DA clubs and if they keep going down the age range (U-7 thru U-14) there are even fewer. They don't want to dilute their brand.

2) The DA is just to promote a MLS/NWSL farm system and to provide a pool of national team players. It doesn't need to cast a wide net given the number of players needed, especially since college and international remains a recruiting ground. There is no reason to develop or recruit kids younger than high school age. At U-7 thru U-14 it's pointless to have DA.

I think they are making the right call if this happens.
        The one good thing about the U12 DA was that it pulled a good size group of quality players to train and compete against one another, all under quality coaches. If you look at NEP U12, there are 12 teams in the top Premiership bracket, with 35 total teams if you include the Premiership1 regional brackets (coaching quality varies). There are many talented players in the league, but they are spread throughout 35 teams (not to mention top players from other leagues).

A kid is going to develop 10x faster playing alongside kids at and above his skill level, rather being the top on his team. I know a few kids who joined the DA at U12, and their parents said it took them a month or two to get used to the speed of play, but they ended up rising to the level and fitting right in. In the end, I guess killing U12DA will just add an extra year of waiting time before these players can come together. Although, added to that is the number of kids who now won't be getting an opportunity to prove themselves in the program. Excluding Oakwood teams, there are ~144 players in local U12DA vs. ~72 in U13DA. The best will get there eventually, if they want to, that is...

Comment

The one good thing about the U12 DA was that it pulled a good size group of quality players to train and compete against one another, all under quality coaches. If you look at NEP U12, there are 12 teams in the top Premiership bracket, with 35 total teams if you include the Premiership1 regional brackets (coaching quality varies). There are many talented players in the league, but they are spread throughout 35 teams (not to mention top players from other leagues).

A kid is going to develop 10x faster playing alongside kids at and above his skill level, rather being the top on his team. I know a few kids who joined the DA at U12, and their parents said it took them a month or two to get used to the speed of play, but they ended up rising to the level and fitting right in. In the end, I guess killing U12DA will just add an extra year of waiting time before these players can come together. Although, added to that is the number of kids who now won't be getting an opportunity to prove themselves in the program. Excluding Oakwood teams, there are ~144 players in local U12DA vs. ~72 in U13DA. The best will get there eventually, if they want to, that is...
          Yes, all of the U12 clubs, kids, and cloaches that were not DA 3 years ago paid their money, became DA U12 teams the following season and, magically, they were super-de-duper. Same kids and same clubs, but new label of quality made all of the difference. Go fly a kite skippy. USSF is the king midas of american youth soccer and the reason are men's program has lost so much ground during the existence of their DA league. Like you, they have no clue what they re doing.

Comment

Since when did the DA allow players to use illegal drugs at their showcase?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X