Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered
    Obviously this person's kid is constantly getting selected; deserved or not and doesn't want the optics to change.
    And you are correct, I am not the poster of the TD article. I have watched kids that were invited to various events perform better than the selections. The only rationale, their coaches were running the events. That's not rocket science, it's politics. After years, you just shake your head and laugh at the outcomes.
    Yea, politics is why your Mia was overlooked.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Yea, politics is why your Mia was overlooked.
      The most tiresome, trolling response in the book. One of the reasons interesting debates get shut down. The US Soccer industry relies on people like you who think every decision is based in self interest.

Comment

I don't think of it as "rejection" or being "passed over" if someone doesn't make the final roster for a WC team. It is fluid be design. If you look at a typical roster going into a 2 year cycle, they are purposefully selecting some players who will likely NOT play in the final WC roster. They may NOT even play the full cycle being moved into a "starting" position for certain Friendlies and then riding the bench during qualifiers. This is by design. It is not a "rejection" of an individual player. They are being BOTH developed by way of international play and training with peers and used as needed to face certain opponents with different styles. So players can be on the YNT during qualifying stage but not appear in the WC and they can move up or down on various YNT and on/off the senior NT. This has to do with age, development, and style/fit, but up or down isn't a negative for the player.

YNT isn't like forming a college or pro team. The biggest factor to me if the age restriction. College and pro coaches aren't turning over their ENTIRE roster every two years like the YNT need to do. College coaches have a mix of players from 18-22 years old and they bring in a few new faces every year while others graduate or roll off. They don't play one long season that last 4 years with one big game at the end. Similarly, a pro team might have a few fresh faces working with guys who have 5-10 years experience. They'll get a chance at a championship every year. That's nothing like YNT. Then factor in that these a teenage girls are have school, etc. and aren't doing soccer as a full-time occupation. It's no wonder that college or pro coaches are breaking down the doors to fill open positions on YNT!

I really don't want to keep using TD as an example, but she is a good one. She was a different YNT camps before making the U-20 roster prior to college. She was at the young end of the age range for that U-20 cycle when it started, which was an indicator that she wouldn't be in that WC (2016) so she never made that WC roster, but did get international caps during the qualifiers. She was so good that by college she was brought up to the senior NT for further development, but again it was probably understood that because of her age of 18/19, she wasnt going to stay there. She moved onto the U-23 team briefly where they benefited from her experience and was looking like she would rejoin the senior NT until her injury this season. Her final chapter hasn't been written, but she is good example that the process is fluid by design. It's NOT that she is under appreciated or can't decide what to do with her. It's just that everything needs to line up and age, experience, and style/fit are big factors.

I think the answers to your questions are:
        #1 & 2 - yes
        #3 - I think both are factors

Listen, I'm as disappointed as anyone else that the U-17 and U-20 teams didn't win their WC this cycle. In those WC games, I saw some questionable coaching, poor selections for certain games, and poor team and individual play. In fact, there was little to like in specific games. That said, I don't look at the recruitment and development process (starting from YNT camps all the way thru making final WC rosters) as flawed as some other posters suggest.

USSF is finding talent and they are making winning programs. Don't know off my head but I'd guess the win % in any given cycle is 75%. They are also winning their Concacaf championships consistently and making it to the WC, which a lot of teams don't do. Coming into WC group stage because they are #1 coming in they face tough teams. Sometimes they beat some of those teams. All great things so I can't fault the process. Eventually when the stars align, we will win these YNT WCs.
        Sure, let's tout winning Concacaf. Beating up on teams that have barely enough money for airfare, sure, that's meaningful, right?

I think US would rather win WC at all ages. And making an excuse for US coming into group stage in a #1 position like some other teams is a bad thing is somewhat tongue in cheek from what the poster is suggesting, that US is making winning programs. A winner wants to play the tough teams. A winner wants to be challenged. A winner also accepts blame not makes excuses.

Wasn't impressed by the game vs France in the Nike Friendlies and was even less impressed with the win over China 1-0 (a team that finished worse than US in group play in WC). 1-0? Really? Some kids did well and some, well, didn't.

Oh well, on another note the Sr. team has a good group. Sweden rematch should be fun to watch. I hope they are working on their pk's.

Comment

Sure, let's tout winning Concacaf. Beating up on teams that have barely enough money for airfare, sure, that's meaningful, right?

I think US would rather win WC at all ages. And making an excuse for US coming into group stage in a #1 position like some other teams is a bad thing is somewhat tongue in cheek from what the poster is suggesting, that US is making winning programs. A winner wants to play the tough teams. A winner wants to be challenged. A winner also accepts blame not makes excuses.

Wasn't impressed by the game vs France in the Nike Friendlies and was even less impressed with the win over China 1-0 (a team that finished worse than US in group play in WC). 1-0? Really? Some kids did well and some, well, didn't.

Oh well, on another note the Sr. team has a good group. Sweden rematch should be fun to watch. I hope they are working on their pk's.
          I think touting winning CONCACAF is reasonable. Mexico and Canada were just in the final 4 of the u17 WC. Not all the teams are scrubs.

Man...you just sound so bitter. The Sr. team does have a good group. Sweden’s Park the bus has been problematic over the years...but, my word...just come out and openly root against the US, already. It will feel better than pretending to pull for us, and when we lose you can keep bashing and justify your narrative. Lol (by the way I agree with a lot of what you have to say, but it becomes very tiresome).

Comment

I think touting winning CONCACAF is reasonable. Mexico and Canada were just in the final 4 of the u17 WC. Not all the teams are scrubs.

Man...you just sound so bitter. The Sr. team does have a good group. Sweden’s Park the bus has been problematic over the years...but, my word...just come out and openly root against the US, already. It will feel better than pretending to pull for us, and when we lose you can keep bashing and justify your narrative. Lol (by the way I agree with a lot of what you have to say, but it becomes very tiresome).
            There are more posters that agree with a partial system flushing than you think. Narrative for those that dont drink the koolaide isnt changing unless change really happens. Dont some of our fees pay for this mess in addition to our donations?

Comment

once again, its multiple people.

Comment

Strange that you call Swe park the bus yet seem to endorse our efforts based on results alone, irrespective of who and when they are achieved

Comment

once again, its multiple people.
                  The company, tow the line poster, isnt getting that. There are several of us. Unfortunately, many sheep in this world who follow without questioning. I just hope once in a while they actually look up from their phones. Cheers to those who question. Checks and balances are supposed to be a good thing.

Comment

The company, tow the line poster, isnt getting that. There are several of us. Unfortunately, many sheep in this world who follow without questioning. I just hope once in a while they actually look up from their phones. Cheers to those who question. Checks and balances are supposed to be a good thing.
                    I watched both U20 games. My questions/observations

1. If USSF like SK, then why was she no on the U17 team?
                    2. Seemed to me that USSF are banking on serious improvement form some of the younger kids because quite a few seemed out of their depth
                    3. We lack real penetrative players
                    4. USSF seem to fall in love with small players who "look" technical. If you take a step back, how many great chances did we create and HOW did we create them ?
                    5. France were better at combination play, especially using thier full backs. We want to do this, but frankly our player lack the IQ to do it well.

if we are going to stick with the status quo, then we need to get more dynamic players into this team before the WC.

Comment

I watched both U20 games. My questions/observations

1. If USSF like SK, then why was she no on the U17 team?
                      2. Seemed to me that USSF are banking on serious improvement form some of the younger kids because quite a few seemed out of their depth
                      3. We lack real penetrative players
                      4. USSF seem to fall in love with small players who "look" technical. If you take a step back, how many great chances did we create and HOW did we create them ?
                      5. France were better at combination play, especially using thier full backs. We want to do this, but frankly our player lack the IQ to do it well.

if we are going to stick with the status quo, then we need to get more dynamic players into this team before the WC.
                      Yes. And re fullbacks/defensive 1/3, many times they seemed disorganized.

Comment

Yes. And re fullbacks/defensive 1/3, many times they seemed disorganized.
                        we dont understand the concept of attacking fullbacks. club soccer does not require building from the back and using fullbacks to create overloads etc. Club soccer is the big strong fast kids beat up on weaker ones. People talk about skill gaps between east and west. Thats just not the case. In the game the way the rules are, athletic depth beats technique 9/10 the deeper more athletic team wins. the best player is often on the team that loses.

you dont "build" as national team via one of camps. you need player in their home environments to be getting great instruction on how to be the most complete player they can be. That means working on weaknesses more than using one dimensional strengths to win games.

Dont see it changing much. USSF are forced to work with what they have, but they are not making the most of it and the GDA is not the influence they hoped it would be

Comment

we dont understand the concept of attacking fullbacks. club soccer does not require building from the back and using fullbacks to create overloads etc. Club soccer is the big strong fast kids beat up on weaker ones. People talk about skill gaps between east and west. Thats just not the case. In the game the way the rules are, athletic depth beats technique 9/10 the deeper more athletic team wins. the best player is often on the team that loses.

you dont "build" as national team via one of camps. you need player in their home environments to be getting great instruction on how to be the most complete player they can be. That means working on weaknesses more than using one dimensional strengths to win games.

Dont see it changing much. USSF are forced to work with what they have, but they are not making the most of it and the GDA is not the influence they hoped it would be
                          Some clubs absolutely do this and I have seen them mostly in gda.

Comment

Build from back. It is college that doesnt do it.

Comment

Build from back. It is college that doesnt do it.
                              Agreed. I have seen youth club teams do it and those kids in college are then in the kick it over the top system. So there are kids that can do it, just have to do what is being requested by coach in college. That is the part rhat is worrisome recriiting a certain style and then not utilizing it.

Comment

Agreed. I have seen youth club teams do it and those kids in college are then in the kick it over the top system. So there are kids that can do it, just have to do what is being requested by coach in college. That is the part rhat is worrisome recriiting a certain style and then not utilizing it.
                                please show me THE WINNING club teams that as a club philosophy emphasize playing out of pressure and using attacking fullbacks .

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X