Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I disagree. Part of what you are saying is true but you are making it sound like 40-60% D1 scholarships for girls is par for the course. No they are not. We are in MA and I personally know about a dozen juniors and seniors right now that are committed to D1 schools and the average is about 30%. I know three who are in 50-70% range (average over 4 years as gradation from low to high is common) and they are top class. 75% all the way through or more is reserved for NT players. If the coach “isn’t that into you” you are getting nothing.
    Throw in some financial aid or merit $ and it's not hard to get to those numbers (with rules of course on how $ can be stacked). It's also true that families like to brag (or are very illusive) about "rides" when in fact their players only get some token athletic $.

Comment

There's really no one in the state who's going to land at a top 20 D1 program.
      Except, of course, there is a girl going to the the tippity-top D1 program....

Comment

This is correct - my daughter plays for a DI program in MA and only 5 of the 23 on the roster are on full scholarships, while my daughter and 10 others are receiving partial scholarship money (my daughter receives just over 50%). It's the norm for a DI school to have players paying at least half. So even after you spend all of the money and travel, you can get a "scholarship" but still write a tuition check as I do for her to play DI.

My nephew pays to play basketball at a DII school as well, similar structure in hoop too. He is on a partial with the hopes that next year as a senior he might receive a full scholarship with 4 current seniors graduating and he's been on a partial scholarship for 3 years. He is typically their 6th or 7th man - second sub.

Just because a school makes an offer - it does not mean that they are giving you full money.
        Exactly. And “full money” are often at large state universities and giving an in state player a full scholarship is much cheaper for them. Top notch private schools (Ivy or Catholic Ivy or NESCAC) have tuition and room and board is the $70K range so 50% off of that is the same or more money towards an education than 100% off a state school.

It’s important to know how rare it is to get money to play D1 soccer. Chasing that, especially playing NH soccer, is not usually very successful.

Comment

It’s important to know how rare it is to get money to play D1 soccer. Chasing that, especially playing NH soccer, is not usually very successful.
          Good thing nobody with half a brain that I know is chasing a full-ride. It's pretty much:

* Have fun
          * Play at highest level possible.
          * Play HS (if applicable)
          * Make a college team
          * Make a good college team
          * Make a D1 college team
          * Make a good D1 college team
          * Get $$ for doing so.

There seems to be this impression that there are parents on the sidelines thinking their little Mia is going to get a full-ride. I know of three people in the last 10 years of play who openly think that:

1) One is chasing the dream through Stars, first with DA and then now through ECNL. They were told 6 years ago by their coach "better have a backup plan". I happen to think highly of that player, but do so with a dose of reality.

2) One who is a pretty good player, not even the best on their current team, but is small. I don't see it happening, but Dad seems to think it's a no-brainer.

3) One who is just foolish, and embarrassingly so.

It's just not as prevalent as the angry mob seems to think. Everyone else is on a journey and trying to put a path together that will allow it, but are not idiotic enough to plan on it. That's just fools on TS talking.

Comment

Except, of course, there is a girl going to the the tippity-top D1 program....
            There is a NH senior going to Florida State...that's as tippity-top as you get

Comment

Exactly. And “full money” are often at large state universities and giving an in state player a full scholarship is much cheaper for them. Top notch private schools (Ivy or Catholic Ivy or NESCAC) have tuition and room and board is the $70K range so 50% off of that is the same or more money towards an education than 100% off a state school.

Even more rare for men. Top $ goes to a stud GK or a few international players, and there's only 9.9 scholarships to split vs 14 for women - and that's only if the program is fully funded.

Comment

There is a NH senior going to Florida State...that's as tippity-top as you get
                Exactly. I had there were 1-2 more, but am not sure. But I can confirm one of them.

Comment

Exactly. I had there were 1-2 more, but am not sure. But I can confirm one of them.
                  There are NH seniors going division 1 to the The Citadel, Central Connecticut University, and Providence College. There’s a NH junior committed to division 1 Holy Cross.

Comment

There are NH seniors going division 1 to the The Citadel, Central Connecticut University, and Providence College. There’s a NH junior committed to division 1 Holy Cross.
                    Good for them but those are not top college soccer programs.

Comment

Will Florida State meet your criteria?

Comment

There’s a NH girl who is a sophomore at Duke. Is that a top program? Another is a sophomore at Ohio State.
                        Also it wasn’t all about who is going to a top soccer program school, it was about D1 and scholarships and such. Does your daughter go to a top 10 or 20 program? As stated, it’s not always about the BEST soccer program and some NH kids are good enough to play very high level but choose a different D1 program for different reasons.

Comment

There’s a NH girl who is a sophomore at Duke. Is that a top program? Another is a sophomore at Ohio State.
                          Also it wasn’t all about who is going to a top soccer program school, it was about D1 and scholarships and such. Does your daughter go to a top 10 or 20 program? As stated, it’s not always about the BEST soccer program and some NH kids are good enough to play very high level but choose a different D1 program for different reasons.
                          Point being the state is very small and talent is very limited. Compare that to CT CFC (another small state but bigger than NH. And yes I poke around because this board is quiet)

The present U19 group for CFC has players going to
                          2 - Boston College
                          1 - Fairfield
                          3 - Sacred Heart
                          1 - Quinnipiac
                          1 - Louisville
                          1 - Delaware
                          2 - UPenn
                          1 - Wagner
                          1 - Ohio State
                          1 - Providence
                          1 - Binghamton
                          1 - Wesleyan

CFC’s U17’s
                          1 - Michigan
                          1 - Ohio State
                          1 - UConn
                          1 - Bucknell
                          1 - Marist
                          3 - Sacred Heart
                          1 - Georgetown
                          1 - Iona
                          1 - Cornell

Yes a fewNH players land in good programs but the majority will not, from a soccer perspective anyway. For most families the quality of the school is what matters most and the northeast is littered with quality schools. Everyone will be just fine, will get a good education and lead productive lives, hopefully happy ones. No one is going pro.

Comment

Sounds like you are saying move to CT? What's your point?

CT has historically been the best State, along with NJ, for quality per capita in the N'East. Maybe throw in Maryland.

Why don't you compare it to Maine? Rhode Island? Vermont?

I never understood the insistent bashing of players in the state.

Comment

Sounds like you are saying move to CT? What's your point?

CT has historically been the best State, along with NJ, for quality per capita in the N'East. Maybe throw in Maryland.

Why don't you compare it to Maine? Rhode Island? Vermont?

I never understood the insistent bashing of players in the state.
                              Because his daughter is not good enough to play D1 so nobody’s is.

Comment

Because his daughter is not good enough to play D1 so nobody’s is.
                                LOL you are probably right.

I mean, I sincerely doubt mine will be but I'll won't piss on anyone's Wheaties over it either.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X