Why not do away with ODP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems to me we are trying to find that silver bullet.I'm sure we will.

Until then I would advise doing as much as you can for your kid, unfortunately looking at the platform the DAP may be the way. I would have liked it if FSA was in that mix. Who knows if the owners are willing to give back to their kids they will apply.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      No, I'm not kidding you. Why does DAP start so late on in a players development? Barcelona trains kids at much earlier ages and appears to be acheiving better results. I also never mentioned either CFC or FSA in my post.

If DAP is only for special players, why do they allow so many teams/palyers in a small geographical area? It seems that next year at certain age groups, more kids will be playing with a DAP program than CT ODP. How special it that?
      who said DAP is only for "special players", your words not mine, DAP is meant for committed and focused players

stop... its clear you have an agenda, CT ODP is a farce (i.e. lack of/poor communication with regards to the recent friendlies down in virginia), 50+ make the pool (come one, come all), no standard ... there is a reason why its getting phased out

Comment

thanks for the blanket statement, "all DAP programs are destination clubs not developmental clubs" are you kidding me?!?!

because RedBull and Revs don't do a better job developing players than FSA or CFC? lol... you're a joke

they apply to become a part of the USSF one of the critical criterion is the ability to develop players....

DAP is still very young and there are many kinks to be worked out... but even with its kinks, it still provides the highest level of competition of available (i.e. a better training stimulus) than any other youth league
        I notice that you only used the Red Bull and Revs in your reply.......what happened to all the other clubs mentioned? The Red Bull and Revs are "true" Academy clubs, I would also put OW as a very high end club. I have nothing against any of the other clubs............I have nothing against any of the other clubs but come on.........in this small area that many top notch players........that is a bigger pool than ODP!

Comment

who said DAP is only for "special players", your words not mine, DAP is meant for committed and focused players

stop... its clear you have an agenda, CT ODP is a farce (i.e. lack of/poor communication with regards to the recent friendlies down in virginia), 50+ make the pool (come one, come all), no standard ... there is a reason why its getting phased out
          It seems like you are the one with the agenda! Start a new thread that is positive like..........."my son will be the next Linonel Messi"....or " I love me"

50 make the pool??
          The pool is smaller than the DAP 13/14 age groups just in the area mentioned previously.

The lack of communication with regards to the recent friendlies?? As pointed out in a previous thread CJSA did not control the schedule and the communication we got for my sons team was first class!

Comment

No agenda other than opposing your's. Just making a point that both programs will share the same fate, because they are traveling down the same path. Programs that were meant for only "elite" (would have used the word special, but you seem to have a problem with it) players, but eventually everyone has access to it. Personally, I think players should take advantage of both programs if they have the opportunity. Our current players are going to coach the next generation with the first contact being probably still at the rec soccer level at a much earlier age than a DAP program, which is where a player's development begins. Imagine our players not just thinking about kicking the ball down field, so they can win a rec game. How many bad habits do our players develop because we don't start early enough. The culture in this country regarding soccer has changed and parents will put their kids in truly competitve soccer programs at much earlier ages.

And unlike you, I will not complain that a program needs to be phased out because I don't like it. Also, DAP doesn't contain all of the best players this country has to offer. If you think your son's DAP team contains the best players in Connecticut, your sadly mistaken, which is why other programs are necessary in order to identify all of our good/great players.

I think DAP is a great program with promise. I only caution on eliminating other programs because of it, because DAP is not going to be the solution.

Comment

Why do we care about the pool amount and the friendlies as the last step for ODP. Why don't we focus on what comes after if the kid is good. Going through the pool is the only way to get identified correct? if there's a short cut to do that in the ODP program can someone spill the beans.
              We get to the Messi level by playing more soccer

I notice the bashers don't give any credit to the past postings of the ODP successful players.

Truly amazing really!

Comment

No agenda other than opposing your's. Just making a point that both programs will share the same fate, because they are traveling down the same path. Programs that were meant for only "elite" (would have used the word special, but you seem to have a problem with it) players, but eventually everyone has access to it. Personally, I think players should take advantage of both programs if they have the opportunity. Our current players are going to coach the next generation with the first contact being probably still at the rec soccer level at a much earlier age than a DAP program, which is where a player's development begins. Imagine our players not just thinking about kicking the ball down field, so they can win a rec game. How many bad habits do our players develop because we don't start early enough. The culture in this country regarding soccer has changed and parents will put their kids in truly competitve soccer programs at much earlier ages.

And unlike you, I will not complain that a program needs to be phased out because I don't like it. Also, DAP doesn't contain all of the best players this country has to offer. If you think your son's DAP team contains the best players in Connecticut, your sadly mistaken, which is why other programs are necessary in order to identify all of our good/great players.

I think DAP is a great program with promise. I only caution on eliminating other programs because of it, because DAP is not going to be the solution.
                This same debate has gone down a dozen or more times in different contexts. Let's just stipulate that a major driving dynamic of youth sports is the quest by talented and committed athletes to find the best possible coaching, teammates and competition. It is a constant process of escaping the pack and finding the next level. Of course, the related dynamic is the pursuit by the pack to go wherever the top echelon is headed. No one wants to be left behind whether that's being left behind in the rec program when the best players go to travel or being left behind in the CJSA league when the best players go to CJSA Elite or NPL or ECNL or whatever super-elite league supplants the ones we know today.

The point is that every program or league seems to become obsolete pretty quickly - is it really worth anyone's time to call the time of death and advocate shuttering them just because they do not continue to represent what they might have represented 5 or 10 years ago? If people are finding value in whatever they've become, then they are serving some purpose. If your kid has gone on to greater heights do you need to close down the obsolete programs in her wake to feel good about where she is?

Comment

The problem is that too many parents feel that their children are exceptional, when many times they are just ordinary. The current sytem in place helps feed that delusion. Granted, ordinary today might have been closer to what was once considered exceptional in the past, but the reality is we are really not developing anything more than run of the mill players, in greater and greater numbers.

Just by putting a new alphabet soup name on a program does not guarantee improvement.

Comment

The problem is that too many parents feel that their children are exceptional, when many times they are just ordinary. The current sytem in place helps feed that delusion. Granted, ordinary today might have been closer to what was once considered exceptional in the past, but the reality is we are really not developing anything more than run of the mill players, in greater and greater numbers.

Just by putting a new alphabet soup name on a program does not guarantee improvement.
                    Well said, case closed.

Comment

I'll let you know when the case is closed.

The proliferation of "super-elite" programs is the SOLUTION to parents' overestimation of their kids' abilities - not the cause. Parents will continue to write checks to buy their kid's way into the next level and systematically dumb down the level. Once the mediocre players have colonized that level, in order for the truly elite player to escape the mediocre crowd there needs to be continuously new opportunities with talent filters. You are not stumbling onto something new. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY. Soccer has simply been through more iterations of this process.

In a couple of years they will have "NPL Elite". I advise you to get your kid to the tryout if he / she is good enough and don't waste time complaining that "NPL Classic" should be closed down. Same with ODP or ECNL or whatever... Give the pack their chance to play and don't begrudge them the "premier" or "elite" level. Don't escape - don't be a snob about it.

OK, case closed.

Comment

Give the pack their chance to play and don't begrudge them the "premier" or "elite" level. Don't escape - don't be a snob about it.

OK, case closed.
                        Give the pack their chance to play and don't begrudge them the "premier" or "elite" title. Just escape - don't be a snob about it.

Comment

If we keep doing developing a larger pool of run of the mill players, won't that mean down the road we'll be about as good at the international level as England. That'd be a big step up for us.

Comment

england

If we keep doing developing a larger pool of run of the mill players, won't that mean down the road we'll be about as good at the international level as England. That'd be a big step up for us.
                            Then we can send our coaches to England and they can start premier programs over there for $2-4K Euros a pop.

Comment

England why?

Is this the England that couldn't beat Montenegro and can only beat San Marino? The England whose clubs couldn't crack the Champions League quarters? The England whose well-accented coaches warm up quite nicely to your soccer moms? Maybe Miah should play cricket?

Comment

Is this the England that couldn't beat Montenegro and can only beat San Marino? The England whose clubs couldn't crack the Champions League quarters? The England whose well-accented coaches warm up quite nicely to your soccer moms? Maybe Miah should play cricket?
                                Wow, someone's got some envy with the English lads. What's the matter, the soccer mom's not given you any attention?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X