Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom line to the OP is this:

If your child is talented enough, they will get the chance to play. I have coached soccer for over 20 years between NC and here in NH. If I had a dollar for every girl and parent who "thought they were that good" I would have retired to a warm island by now.

The SU structure is that where you have an advantage in the "system" because the coach in the SU system will vouch for a kid they feel is ready to move up.

If your daughter is that good of a player, then she has to demonstrate it and show it. You cant ask a coach or program - club or school - to give them a shot in the hope or potential you think they have. My niece was cut her So. year in high school form the JV team. She came back the following year and made varsity . By the last 5 games her Jr year she was a starter and her Sr. year made second team all state.

She got cut because she was not that good. She had to go work. She did not invest the time and energy to be one of the best. She expected it to be handed to her. This is why my daughter now busts her butt because her older cousin has mentored her and shown her what will and wont work.

If she is good enough - she would be able to play despite the perceived issues you outline.

Comment

This is BS. If a player is that good then they make a high team. Yes there are always 2-4 players at the bottom of a roster that could be interchangeable with a kid playing just below, however if that kid works extra hard they will get there.
      Parents that complain that their player can’t make an NPL team because of bad coaches and politics don’t need their player to make an NPL team. The player won’t get any more college looks than if they were on an NEP team. Heck no NPL girls in NH will get college looks anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        This is BS. If a player is that good then they make a high team. Yes there are always 2-4 players at the bottom of a roster that could be interchangeable with a kid playing just below, however if that kid works extra hard they will get there.
        Parents that complain that their player can’t make an NPL team because of bad coaches and politics don’t need their player to make an NPL team. The player won’t get any more college looks than if they were on an NEP team. Heck no NPL girls in NH will get college looks anyway.
        I agreed right up until the end. There are several NPL players on college visits right now, up to DI level. I know this for a fact.

Comment

Are you talking about D1 colleges? You may have a leg to stand on there if that's the case. Otherwise, are you crazy? Have you watched any D3 girls college games? Of course NPL girls in NH can make those teams....

Comment

Are you talking about D1 colleges? You may have a leg to stand on there if that's the case. Otherwise, are you crazy? Have you watched any D3 girls college games? Of course NPL girls in NH can make those teams....
            While of course D1 opportunities will be more rare, and other programs will give you more exposure, it's not unheard of. Otherwise, yes, I do believe the OP is crazy....

Comment

While of course D1 opportunities will be more rare, and other programs will give you more exposure, it's not unheard of. Otherwise, yes, I do believe the OP is crazy....
              OP here. Thanks for that. I appreciate the name calling.

The fact is that this thread has given me more angles to think about. I actually think the wisest words are that the bottom players on an NPL roster may be interchangeable with top players a level below that. Perhaps that is what is going on here. Maybe my own D could be interchangeable. I guess for me i don't like that two players of equal ability aren't given equal opportunity but like someone said, life isn't fair. That's a truth I forgot.

That said, if you think politics and coaching doesn't play a role, ever, in who gets a shot, then you might want to rethink who is the "crazy" one here. Absolutely it does, and someone is always going to get the short end of the stick.

Comment

OP here. Thanks for that. I appreciate the name calling.

The fact is that this thread has given me more angles to think about. I actually think the wisest words are that the bottom players on an NPL roster may be interchangeable with top players a level below that. Perhaps that is what is going on here. Maybe my own D could be interchangeable. I guess for me i don't like that two players of equal ability aren't given equal opportunity but like someone said, life isn't fair. That's a truth I forgot.

That said, if you think politics and coaching doesn't play a role, ever, in who gets a shot, then you might want to rethink who is the "crazy" one here. Absolutely it does, and someone is always going to get the short end of the stick.
                Was referring to the poster who said no NPL kids will play in college, not the thread starter (you, it appears).

Do coaches play favorites? Probably. Ask yourself why.

Comment

Was referring to the poster who said no NPL kids will play in college, not the thread starter (you, it appears).

Do coaches play favorites? Probably. Ask yourself why.
                  Ok, thank you. I appreciated the conversation here as it made me think so didn't understand why I was crazy.

I know coaches sometimes have favorites for good reason. Other times however they get it wrong. It's life I guess.

Comment

Ok, thank you. I appreciated the conversation here as it made me think so didn't understand why I was crazy.

I know coaches sometimes have favorites for good reason. Other times however they get it wrong. It's life I guess.
                    More often it is the parent that is wrong. Their kid is just not that good and they can't believe it. I know dozens of kids who have played for multiple clubs and bounce around because their kid is 'great' and the coach doens't see it!

Comment

Sorry yes I meant competitive division I and some IIs and getting money for school, etc. Of course there are division III schools that will even take good HS players.
                      NPL NH kids won’t get scholarship money and it’s very rare to go division I.

Comment

More often it is the parent that is wrong. Their kid is just not that good and they can't believe it. I know dozens of kids who have played for multiple clubs and bounce around because their kid is 'great' and the coach doens't see it!
                        So true.

I have never seen, or had, a player who is good and their parent or the player blames the coach for their lack of success. It is always the kid / parent who lacks self awareness of their ability and skill level who complains.

I have coached over 30 collegiate players in my club and school coaching years (over 20 years of coaching) and none of them ever complained. All of the complaints always came from kids / parents who were not that good.

I had a college coach - great friend of mine come and see a team I coached here in NH once, high powered DII program, who evaluated the kids. The one player & parent who could not believe they were not being "recruited" by them went off calling the coach a hack and said "they knew nothing about soccer". That coach won national titles in DII and now coaches a major DI program.

The issue with club soccer is that too many parents see the investment; financial, time, and emotional - that they put into their kids and when they don't get a return on that investment they are in denial of their kids ability.

Comment

Sorry yes I meant competitive division I and some IIs and getting money for school, etc. Of course there are division III schools that will even take good HS players.
                          Correct.

Look at the number of boys and girls coming out of NH with ANY money for soccer and it is few and far between. Most of the boys in the SU Academy program end up playing DIII & DII.

The high level SU & GPS girls end up all playing DIII with a few DII and the occasional DI.

Comment

That goes for all NH levels... If you are looking for scholarship money, you’re in the wrong sport! Keep your grades up...

Comment

That goes for all NH levels... If you are looking for scholarship money, you’re in the wrong sport! Keep your grades up...
                              Not talking about scholarship $ but just opportunity... going back to the original question...would ODP possibly get you in front of the right coaches for a D1 opportunity? Or if you're amazing but for whatever reason play NPL and not GDA or ECNL, can ODP help get you in front of D1 coaches or are you forever stuck in D3?

Comment

Not talking about scholarship $ but just opportunity... going back to the original question...would ODP possibly get you in front of the right coaches for a D1 opportunity? Or if you're amazing but for whatever reason play NPL and not GDA or ECNL, can ODP help get you in front of D1 coaches or are you forever stuck in D3?
                                No it will not help. Also if you are a stud player on NPL it won’t help with big programs either because the coaches will not see you and even if they do they can’t judge how you would be in faster and stronger competition. It only makes sense that they recruit from top leagues.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X