Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we going back to graduation year from birth year?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That's sports. Goalscorers always get the love. Plenty of times I've walked off the pitch having played well, dirty, sweaty, beat up....Forward who has the knack of being in the right place at the right time to touch home and a 1-0 win gets the accolades.

The reality is, for the most part, other positions are interchangeable for goalscorers are hard to find. yes, I know, some teams have a center mid or a defender (rarely, but does happen) who runs the show, but you still need someone who can finish consistently.

Ronaldo once had a game where he had something like a half-dozen effective touches and 3 went in. Can't stand the guy, personally, but scoring is an art like no other.
    On the girls side I would say keepers either get a ton of love or scorn. A keeper who saves 5 on frame goal attempts and 1 goes in and their team loses still gets a lot of love. But a keeper who saves a few slow ball shots and lets an easy one get by with no effort... no love for them. The keeper is the only position I can think of where they actually shine quite a bit even if their team stinks, esp. the defenders.

Wingers and fullbacks are a dime a dozen. Most of the time they just serve it in. Midfielders get the least amount of praise even if I'd argue they touch the ball the most. A fearless and talented CB gets a lot of love too. But goal scores, yeah... they are the belle of the ball.

Comment

On the girls side I would say keepers either get a ton of love or scorn. A keeper who saves 5 on frame goal attempts and 1 goes in and their team loses still gets a lot of love. But a keeper who saves a few slow ball shots and lets an easy one get by with no effort... no love for them. The keeper is the only position I can think of where they actually shine quite a bit even if their team stinks, esp. the defenders.

Wingers and fullbacks are a dime a dozen. Most of the time they just serve it in. Midfielders get the least amount of praise even if I'd argue they touch the ball the most. A fearless and talented CB gets a lot of love too. But goal scores, yeah... they are the belle of the ball.
      this is a little off track and I apologize... my son is a CB has always been a CB. every coach always says "I don't see him as ending up being a CB in the long run" So at some point I ask if you see him as something else why don't you move him there and they always say "because we need him back there" So as a parent I've always told my kids to play wherever your coach tells you or the team needs you, but every coach the same thing they play him there telling me they need him there but see him playing somewhere else in the future. and this is suppose to be about developing vs winning.

Comment

this is a little off track and I apologize... my son is a CB has always been a CB. every coach always says "I don't see him as ending up being a CB in the long run" So at some point I ask if you see him as something else why don't you move him there and they always say "because we need him back there" So as a parent I've always told my kids to play wherever your coach tells you or the team needs you, but every coach the same thing they play him there telling me they need him there but see him playing somewhere else in the future. and this is suppose to be about developing vs winning.
        If your son is happy and doing well and all these coaches see him as a necessary player at CB for the team’s success, then what is the issue?

Comment

Totally agree - a one goal loss or tie is always blamed on the keeper or defenders - even if the forward missed three open nets somehow a loss is never their fault. And if they miss 5 but score one that’s all that’s remembered. My opinion don’t know why any kid would like defense, all guts no glory. My kids team has given up very few goals unfortunately they’ve scored even less having three 0-0 ties, totally stinks and the forward never get blamed. I say you can’t win if you don’t score best you can do us tie.

Comment

If your son is happy and doing well and all these coaches see him as a necessary player at CB for the team’s success, then what is the issue?
            he doesn't really want to play CB he wants to score goals.

Comment

The issue is if he needs to change teams and they don't need another CB or a new CB comes along that's better than your kid. A coach who isn't moving players around at least some of the time is putting everyone in certain spots just to win.

Comment

Totally agree - a one goal loss or tie is always blamed on the keeper or defenders - even if the forward missed three open nets somehow a loss is never their fault. And if they miss 5 but score one that’s all that’s remembered. My opinion don’t know why any kid would like defense, all guts no glory. My kids team has given up very few goals unfortunately they’ve scored even less having three 0-0 ties, totally stinks and the forward never get blamed. I say you can’t win if you don’t score best you can do us tie.
                GK can make mistakes but that shot on goal came about because some of the other ten players on the field made mistakes.

Comment

he doesn't really want to play CB he wants to score goals.
                  Then tell him to long boot it from the back line. Maybe it will take a lucky bounce if the goalie is too far out and he’ll score a goal.

Comment

This total lack of understanding about the game is responsible for the state of soccer in the US.

The OP was dead on. Watch a la liga game or two.
                    Is La Liga Feminine?

Stop Mansplaining and start using female-centric reference models when telling me what is effective in the women’s game.

Comment

Then tell him to long boot it from the back line. Maybe it will take a lucky bounce if the goalie is too far out and he’ll score a goal.
                      He's actually the 2nd leading scorer on the team, they do let him go up on corners and he takes a lot of free kicks. he scored a goal from 65 yards out a couple month ago in the exact situation you mentioned. Last year if the head coach wasn't around the asst would play him at center holding mid and I thought he looked better there. I see him more as an outside back vs being in the middle.

Comment

I heard from my US Soccer state ceo and there were committee level discussions but nothing will change for the 20-21 season. But it does look like a change could happen the following year.

Comment

I heard from my US Soccer state ceo and there were committee level discussions but nothing will change for the 20-21 season. But it does look like a change could happen the following year.
                          ECNL still free to do what they want. When's that meeting?

Comment

Ecnl has their meetings last weekend and I still haven’t heard anything. Very odd that our club doesn’t have tryout or id camp info posted. This time last year we did.

Comment

I heard they made the change last year but didn't tell anybody

Comment

ECNL still free to do what they want. When's that meeting?
                                Would be surprised if ecnl didn’t act now. The problem with having to compress the full outgoing u17 team with the remaining seniors from the u18/19 team has created a total mess. Adding the B team composite u18/19 league has only made things worse.

Going grad year would also add 2/3rds of a team at the youngest age group, who are all in the same grade as the fall born kids. Getting those 2/3rds of players joining ecnl before they can join gda teams also helps ecnl with market share. Only upsides to ecnl.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X