Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Players Practice In Order To Play ???????

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should Players Practice In Order To Play ???????

Ok we were at practice last night, ya practice in June. The coach was asked were are the players from try outs? His response was, they are from across the state and wont be attending training with the team. So I asked what about playing time and how do you know they are training and what does that do for the TEAM idea? His response was you get to play on a good team that will make your daughter better. So I asked how will players not training with the team make my daughter better? His response was, she will be able to see how good players play. So I said "so what your saying is you are not confident enough to develope what you have here better, and just need to get some already developed players that do not have to practice in order to make you look good" This seems crazy to me, What do you think?
    Before you say anything about my daughters playing ability she is an ODP player. Just real answers is.

We play out of area and travel when possible to practices with the team. However, it is only about 20% of the time. Our daughters are good enough to start on the team and, frankly, we are not too concerned what people think. Their goal is D-1 and it is our job to get them seen regardless of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      We play out of area and travel when possible to practices with the team. However, it is only about 20% of the time. Our daughters are good enough to start on the team and, frankly, we are not too concerned what people think. Their goal is D-1 and it is our job to get them seen regardless of others.
      I bet your team mates love hearing that. Exactly what I meant about the TEAM thing. Your tem wont make it past the Sc 16 and will not be able to compete nationally at tournaments against the real TEAMS. TEAM SPORT

Comment

Ok we were at practice last night, ya practice in June. The coach was asked were are the players from try outs? His response was, they are from across the state and wont be attending training with the team. So I asked what about playing time and how do you know they are training and what does that do for the TEAM idea? His response was you get to play on a good team that will make your daughter better. So I asked how will players not training with the team make my daughter better? His response was, she will be able to see how good players play. So I said "so what your saying is you are not confident enough to develope what you have here better, and just need to get some already developed players that do not have to practice in order to make you look good" This seems crazy to me, What do you think?
        Before you say anything about my daughters playing ability she is an ODP player. Just real answers is.
        ODP does not mean much these days. Last year was the first year my daughter tried out and made the state team. However we did not go back this year.

We saw some really good players on the team and some players that made me think how in the hell did they make the squad!

My point is.. not all good players make odp or even try out for it. There are 2 girls on my daughters team that are absolutely better than my own and just didn't want to try out. Don't care for it.

So ODP is flawed.

Going back to your question, In the older age groups this is normal. Players will travel from far away to play on better teams. I know of 4 examples of this in the rising U17 girls age group.

You will see that the better players will start even though they do not practice with the team. So if you daughter is good enough (in your coaches eyes) she will start. If not, then she will NOT.

This is the norm though so deal with it and tell your kid to work hard.

Comment

ODP does not mean much these days. Last year was the first year my daughter tried out and made the state team. However we did not go back this year.

We saw some really good players on the team and some players that made me think how in the hell did they make the squad!

My point is.. not all good players make odp or even try out for it. There are 2 girls on my daughters team that are absolutely better than my own and just didn't want to try out. Don't care for it.

So ODP is flawed.

Going back to your question, In the older age groups this is normal. Players will travel from far away to play on better teams. I know of 4 examples of this in the rising U17 girls age group.

You will see that the better players will start even though they do not practice with the team. So if you daughter is good enough (in your coaches eyes) she will start. If not, then she will NOT.

This is the norm though so deal with it and tell your kid to work hard.
          So what team is this so we can watch the huge success of a team that never trains together.

Comment

At U16 & U17, my child traveled across the state to play for a team. There were 8 of the 18 players that traveled 2 hours or more. The locals practiced twice during the week. The travelers practice with teams in their area or trained with a trainer. Everyone traveled on Friday night to the team location; the team practiced 2 times on Saturday and once again on Sunday morning. It was a huge commitment for these girls to give up most every Friday and Saturday evening socially, but well worth the exposure they got as a team. On the weekends they didn't practice, we usually traveled for R3 games or tournaments.

The ironic part was, the local players missed more practices than the travelers.

Comment

I read carefully the serious debates here about "player development" and "what's wrong with American soccer", and the like. there are legitimate differences of opinion, as with any topic.

But at the end of the day, to me it's still a Team Sport. Training as a team develops esprit d corps, comraderie and leadership. We've told our kid that commitment to the team sometimes means sacrifice of other things, and commitment to a personal goal of playing in college requires discipline.

some seem to treat the club and the team as nothing more than a tool for personal advancement- and that performance on the weekend satisfies the obligation to "team". I disagree. I think training as a team, by all members of the team should be required. If you live far away, you probably should have considered that when you tried out. and if the coach is okay with it, then obviously the coach is more interested in short term glory than long term development.

Comment

I bet your team mates love hearing that. Exactly what I meant about the TEAM thing. Your tem wont make it past the Sc 16 and will not be able to compete nationally at tournaments against the real TEAMS. TEAM SPORT
                I see. You know so much. We're there to win and so are the others that travel. Some of the in-area

Comment

At U16 & U17, my child traveled across the state to play for a team. There were 8 of the 18 players that traveled 2 hours or more. The locals practiced twice during the week. The travelers practice with teams in their area or trained with a trainer. Everyone traveled on Friday night to the team location; the team practiced 2 times on Saturday and once again on Sunday morning. It was a huge commitment for these girls to give up most every Friday and Saturday evening socially, but well worth the exposure they got as a team. On the weekends they didn't practice, we usually traveled for R3 games or tournaments.

The ironic part was, the local players missed more practices than the travelers.
                  So what team was this so we can see the success from this formula.

Comment

I see. You know so much. We're there to win and so are the others that travel. Some of the in-area
                    Hence the reason American soccer is not at the same level as all third world countries. Win now and we will see what happens later.

Comment

Hence the reason American soccer is not at the same level as all third world countries. Win now and we will see what happens later.
                      We don't care. No disrespect intended but thrid world countries don't have the opportunites players in the US do. College scholarships, get it.

Comment

I read carefully the serious debates here about "player development" and "what's wrong with American soccer", and the like. there are legitimate differences of opinion, as with any topic.

But at the end of the day, to me it's still a Team Sport. Training as a team develops esprit d corps, comraderie and leadership. We've told our kid that commitment to the team sometimes means sacrifice of other things, and commitment to a personal goal of playing in college requires discipline.

some seem to treat the club and the team as nothing more than a tool for personal advancement- and that performance on the weekend satisfies the obligation to "team". I disagree. I think training as a team, by all members of the team should be required. If you live far away, you probably should have considered that when you tried out. and if the coach is okay with it, then obviously the coach is more interested in short term glory than long term development.
                        Agreed - travel should have been considered when trying out -unfortunately the team aspect for the elite divisions has been lost.

Comment

Agree if players are making the choice to travel 3 or 4 hours for practice great, and this does happen. Players need to train together to be a successful team, most clubs only practice 2-3 times a week, show the team how dedicated you really are, make all practices and see how well your team advances, or deal with the drama from the ones who wine because your a part timer.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;564897]We don't care. No disrespect intended but thrid world countries don't have the opportunites players in the US do. College scholarships, get it.[/Q

Academics Get It

Comment

So what team is this so we can watch the huge success of a team that never trains together.
                              Ponte Vedra. U16 State Champs.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X