X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women's pro soccer team quietly moves to FAU

Women's pro soccer team quietly moves to FAU
    MagicJack, formerly Washington Freedom, has World Cup players and opens season April 16

March 28, 2011|By Jeff Rusnak, Sun Sentinel

With little fanfare, Florida Atlantic University's soccer stadium has become the new home of a team called "magicJack" in the six-team Women's Professional Soccer (WPS), the top women's league in the world.

While the team's name is a departure from the norm, so too is the unorthodox way magicJack, formerly the Washington Freedom, is being introduced to area fans by its owner, Dan Borislow.

With his April 16 season opener less than three weeks away, the West Palm Beach-based Borislow has yet to formally announce the third-year team's move from Washington, D.C.

Borislow has also yet to hire a front-office staff, release a team roster, which includes seven U.S. Women's National Team players, and re-brand the club at the WPS website, where it remains the Washington Freedom. Uniforms were recently printed for the Freedom in a league-wide deal with Puma, but are now being changed.

Former U.S. World Cup goalkeeper Briana Scurry is the magicJack general manager and former Sky Blue FC assistant Mike Lyons is coach. The roster features star striker Abby Wambach, Shannon Boxx, Hope Solo and Christie Rampone, all likely starters for the United States at the FIFA Women's World Cup being played this summer in Germany.

is he giving out free MagicJacks? I'll go.

Comment

I want to see the roster. Is his daughters name there. By the way, magicjacks is a retarded name for a pro team.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        is he giving out free MagicJacks? I'll go.
        No, but the good news is that season tickets only cost $19.95/year!!!!!

Comment

How totally un-exciting.

Comment

How totally un-exciting.
            Maybe for you, but I bet there are a a lot of young girls that will love to watch them play.

Comment

I have to agree Magic Jacks is a stupid name. Nothing like a monument to ego to advance the game. i bet Abby Wambach and Hope Solo are THRILLED- and i bet Solo is especially excited to be associated with Scurry again (not)

Comment

Of course, MagicJack is not much worse than RedBulls, right?

Comment

Maybe for you, but I bet there are a a lot of young girls that will love to watch them play.
                  Why? yawning...

Comment

It would be nice to see some professional games. I hope they travel the state.

Comment

It would be nice to see some professional games. I hope they travel the state.
                      He brought them to Florida, you have to do the rest!! See you in Boca

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X