Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Based on what they've done in the past, since there was 2 groups per age, they will choose half from one group, half from another for stage 2. At stage 2, they will cut that group in half, and that will be the team. Only 1 team per age group. Not trying to knock anyones kid, but their selection shouldn't be that hard based on the talent that showed up. I'm convinced that parents told their kids to "shoot at goal as much as possible." Most of the girls we watched were ball hogs, not team players, and one of the things they are looking for is just that, team players. I realize as parents we have all told our kids to go out there and do your best, make sure you show them what you can do. But, soccer is a team sport. Not, "hey, watch me not pass and score lots of goals." It was obvious which girls have had training outside of township/club/academy. There were a few girls that actually did some impressive passes. One thing everyone needs to remember about ODP, They practice ONCE a month. Unlike your current teams, they don't have the time to develope/train your girls. They are looking for girls that play well together, pass, work as a team. Any girls that seem to be a problem player, ie ball hogging, they will most likely pass on. They want SMART players. Unfortunately, there wasn't a impressive group to choose from. I know this might upset some, but thats the facts, and it doesn't mean your child is a bad player, just a player with bad habits. Expect a email later on today, if not tomorrow.
    I would disagree. Ball-hog is often misused term used by soccer dads in the US. If you dribble two players and don't lose the ball while leaving your team in a better position you're a skillful player. Wether you shoot or pass is based on the situation, if you have an open shot take it every time. Don't pass the ball for the sake of passing.
    With that said they are looking for players that have all the fundamentals down. Proper technique passing trapping and high soccer IQ. Dribbling is a skill they look for and they are looking for players that are comfortable with the ball. Passing the ball every time you get it will not get you noticed. Kids can be taught to play faster but it's hard to make them better with the ball.

Comment

But then again its all about being able to say you play ODP right? I saw players that were on ODP last year and they were barely mid roster players on their own team, not impressed with it. Want to make it a real program - offer it for free to the players that make it, not charge them $1300 and have people driving all over and 1 1/2 hours for practices on poor facilities.

Comment

But then again its all about being able to say you play ODP right? I saw players that were on ODP last year and they were barely mid roster players on their own team, not impressed with it. Want to make it a real program - offer it for free to the players that make it, not charge them $1300 and have people driving all over and 1 1/2 hours for practices on poor facilities.
        Here we go again. I was waiting for this. There's always someone who just has to bash something.

Comment

I have a team playing this weekend in a tournament. If any if my girls told me they would be missing our games for a ODP tryout, I would not be happy about it. We practice as a team. A child missing because they are sick is one thing. Would your boss be happy if you missed work because you went to do a side job with someone else? I count on my girls to be there. While your club might not care who makes and misses practices and games, I can can tell you that I do.
          This is the problem with some coaches. This is an opportunity for the development of the the players and these are the same players they are trying to develop. At this age you should not be worried about winning a tournament or even winning a game the focus should be on the individual player. This guy only wants to win the game so he can recruit more players so he can ask for more money. If you are missing two players you should be able to give other players more playing time. And your boss would be fine with you missing a day of work and going to a conference if what you learn could benefit the whole team.

Comment

This is the problem with some coaches. This is an opportunity for the development of the the players and these are the same players they are trying to develop. At this age you should not be worried about winning a tournament or even winning a game the focus should be on the individual player. This guy only wants to win the game so he can recruit more players so he can ask for more money. If you are missing two players you should be able to give other players more playing time. And your boss would be fine with you missing a day of work and going to a conference if what you learn could benefit the whole team.
            But but but ... winning is everything ... (until their team loses) ...

Why do you think there are so many stupid arguments about MF losing how many games and how great PDA is or league X is better than league Y because "I see with my own eyes team A is beating up the hell of team B ..."

Comment

It's really $1300? That's insane. This should be funded by US soccer. They are sitting on over 150 million in cash and youth development is getting cut left and right. This should upset everyone we all pay into the pot and then the guys up top pay themselves huge salaries.

Comment

Not sure where you got "winning is everything " from this post. Did you ever think that maybe he has a roster with only 1 or two subs and missing a player or two would hurt the entire team? I re-read his post a coupe of times and did not see anything that would suggest that all he cared about was winning a tournament. Also, missing a day of work to profit from a side job is much different than missing a day of work to attend a conference that could benefit your job. i think before you make accusations you should be able to back up what you say. Your response to his post was stupid and unfounded.

Comment

ODP is just a cash grab. Waste.

Comment

Totally agree with the above post. This isn't a question of winning above all things, but more about priorities. It's the beginning of a new soccer year and this is more than likely the first official tournament of the season for a lot of teams. I'm not sure I can mentally justify my kid missing a tournament day, especially with those circumstances, for something like this. Your primary team should come first in my opinion.

Comment

ODP is just a cash grab. Waste.
                      Yeah. It is terrible. Train monthly. What for ...

Comment

I would disagree. Ball-hog is often misused term used by soccer dads in the US. If you dribble two players and don't lose the ball while leaving your team in a better position you're a skillful player. Wether you shoot or pass is based on the situation, if you have an open shot take it every time. Don't pass the ball for the sake of passing.
                        With that said they are looking for players that have all the fundamentals down. Proper technique passing trapping and high soccer IQ. Dribbling is a skill they look for and they are looking for players that are comfortable with the ball. Passing the ball every time you get it will not get you noticed. Kids can be taught to play faster but it's hard to make them better with the ball.
                        I was at the tryouts. I saw exactly what the other poster ment. Maybe ball hogging wasn't the correct term, but the few girls I saw were not concerned about being team players. I saw more than once several girls, who by the way ALL wanted to play forward, having clear opportunities to pass to the left or right wings where no one was being covered, but instead ran head on into a group of girls, only concerned about scoring. Very few actually played smart soccer, held their positions and made impressive passes. The rest only cared about getting a goal. At several times throughout the tryouts there was 7 girls all playing up front, oblivious to who was open around them. There was hardly "open shots" that would warrant not passing. Not sure if you were there or not, but if you were, you can't honestly say there was alot of talent out there.

Comment

I was at the tryouts. I saw exactly what the other poster ment. Maybe ball hogging wasn't the correct term, but the few girls I saw were not concerned about being team players. I saw more than once several girls, who by the way ALL wanted to play forward, having clear opportunities to pass to the left or right wings where no one was being covered, but instead ran head on into a group of girls, only concerned about scoring. Very few actually played smart soccer, held their positions and made impressive passes. The rest only cared about getting a goal. At several times throughout the tryouts there was 7 girls all playing up front, oblivious to who was open around them. There was hardly "open shots" that would warrant not passing. Not sure if you were there or not, but if you were, you can't honestly say there was alot of talent out there.
                          I was watching 07G tryout and yes, I saw exactly the same thing. Probably taught by parents who think they know better.

Comment

Well this thread went dark fast.

If COVID has taught us anything it's that waiting until the 2nd half of the year to make your mark may never happen. Sure ODP may be just a shell of what it once was but it is still a large check mark for any players college application. You can look at any college your daughter wants to go and look at the player bios and see ODP listed for a good number of them (unless they plan on going to somewhere like MIT).

And about the post about meaningless tournaments. I can see the point. All 3 are u16 and below with PDA being u14 and below so yes winning those tournaments aren't going to have college coaches beating down your door.

The one poster was right with the analogy of ODP being like a conference to better work. You are participating in something that is a notch for the player and a shinning feather in the cap of the club (what club doesn't like to mention how many ODP players they have/had). And I agree, if a coach wants to frown on a player missing a game or 2 at a pre-season tournament for ODP tryouts then they are not about your kids well being. If they don't have enough players and can't borrow a guest or 2 from the next lower age group or B team for a day then what does that say about the club in general?

Ultimately it will depend on the player and parent. I will leave you with this, How many players from last years squad do you think will turn down the opportunity due to a tournament? I would imagine not many. With cutbacks and teams not traveling as far I am sure YNT IDs will be fewer. Why would you want to take away an opportunity for your kid?

Comment

Well this thread went dark fast.

If COVID has taught us anything it's that waiting until the 2nd half of the year to make your mark may never happen. Sure ODP may be just a shell of what it once was but it is still a large check mark for any players college application. You can look at any college your daughter wants to go and look at the player bios and see ODP listed for a good number of them (unless they plan on going to somewhere like MIT).

And about the post about meaningless tournaments. I can see the point. All 3 are u16 and below with PDA being u14 and below so yes winning those tournaments aren't going to have college coaches beating down your door.

The one poster was right with the analogy of ODP being like a conference to better work. You are participating in something that is a notch for the player and a shinning feather in the cap of the club (what club doesn't like to mention how many ODP players they have/had). And I agree, if a coach wants to frown on a player missing a game or 2 at a pre-season tournament for ODP tryouts then they are not about your kids well being. If they don't have enough players and can't borrow a guest or 2 from the next lower age group or B team for a day then what does that say about the club in general?

Ultimately it will depend on the player and parent. I will leave you with this, How many players from last years squad do you think will turn down the opportunity due to a tournament? I would imagine not many. With cutbacks and teams not traveling as far I am sure YNT IDs will be fewer. Why would you want to take away an opportunity for your kid?
                              I previously stated that I didn't feel right having my kid miss a primary team event for something like this, but you're right. In a scenario where my kid is in HS and looking towards college, then I would push towards going instead. Before that age though, I don't think so.

Comment

You are all assuming your kid will get an invite to the stage 2 tryout this weekend. Next we will hear how unfair little Julia wasn’t invited to the ODP stage 2 tryouts.

Bunch of freaking snowflakes. Go play in your little tournament. We don’t want people like you in ODP.

Purposeful scheduling for this weekend.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X