Womens World Cup Watching

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are we really talking about GIRLS soccer? gee, TS has sure gotten lame! there's only one place that they belong!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      First half we got completely outplayed by N. Korea, specifically their midfield. Pia made adjustments, and N. Korea was not the same team from then on. Still, it's interesting that the technique and skill of the top N. Korean player is higher to that of the top US player. What is the US doing that we don't produce "special" players like other countries. And before you start TS Yelling, by special, I mean, composed, smooth, skilled, great 1 on 1 ability, creative, etc. Tell me who the best US player was today, and I'll tell you how she was not on the same par as the best N. Korean player Ja. Though we tend to play direct, throughout much of the 2nd half we had nice long periods of possession. Overall, I don't think we looked dynamic as a team. We need dynamic.
      The north Korean coach blew it with his subs. He should of stayed out of the kitchen. The korean's showed how the game should be played by women in the first half.

Comment

funny how u used the terms "blew" and "kitchen" when referring to women's soccer

Comment

The north Korean coach blew it with his subs. He should of stayed out of the kitchen. The korean's showed how the game should be played by women in the first half.
          yes, they played well enough to lose...just like your teams.

Comment

For those interested in watching the other teams involved in the World Cup as well, ESPN is supposed to be broadcasting the whole World Cup. Tomorrow Brazil plays at 12:00. I need my Marta fix!!! GO BRAZIL!!!!
            Yup... I will be watching... V the Matildas... Cant wait to see Marta and Lisa De Vanna. I know alot of people on this site HATE womens soccer but to be honest with you I find it far more interesting than the mens side and dont care that its not as high a level. When I want to watch high level mens soccer I will watch EPL or something similar.

Comment

Your crazy we led in every statistical part of the game:
              Statistical Summary: USA / PRK
              Shots: 19 / 13
              Shots on Goal: 12 / 7
              Saves: 7 / 10
              Corner Kicks: 8 / 4
              Fouls: 9 / 11
              Offside: 0 / 1

We also led in the stats at half time.

What game are some of you watching? We played a good young team and won fairly convincingly. Germany also played this team recently and won by the same score.
              I would ask you the same question. I am a USA fan and of course was pulling for them but I saw the game a lot like the other poster. Forget the stats when I see a 16 year old making our defense look like swiss cheese I say its one of two things either she's brilliant or our defense sucks and since she was marked by supposedly our BEST defender I would say she is something special. If she would have had support the PRK team would have jumped all over us.

Additionally one could argue on the 2nd US goal Wambach could have been called for offsides. Yes I know the LOTG regarding offsides I am just saying it COULD have been called and the goal not allowed.

But in the end we played well enough to win and thats all that matters. It would just be nice to see some up and coming players on OUR team who make other squads look that bad.

Comment

Your crazy we led in every statistical part of the game:
                Statistical Summary: USA / PRK
                Shots: 19 / 13
                Shots on Goal: 12 / 7
                Saves: 7 / 10
                Corner Kicks: 8 / 4
                Fouls: 9 / 11
                Offside: 0 / 1

We also led in the stats at half time.

What game are some of you watching? We played a good young team and won fairly convincingly. Germany also played this team recently and won by the same score.
                Being USA the #1 ranked and I guess the oldest team, and North Korea one of the youngest if not the youngest (and being North Korea means low soccer), I was expecting a better USA performance. What I saw was a team full of big/tall/strong players and other team with better skills. Same happened in Sweden-Colombia game. I see USA and Sweden going to next round, but Korea and Colombia may surprise us in 2015.

Comment

I would ask you the same question. I am a USA fan and of course was pulling for them but I saw the game a lot like the other poster. Forget the stats when I see a 16 year old making our defense look like swiss cheese I say its one of two things either she's brilliant or our defense sucks and since she was marked by supposedly our BEST defender I would say she is something special. If she would have had support the PRK team would have jumped all over us.

Additionally one could argue on the 2nd US goal Wambach could have been called for offsides. Yes I know the LOTG regarding offsides I am just saying it COULD have been called and the goal not allowed.

But in the end we played well enough to win and thats all that matters. It would just be nice to see some up and coming players on OUR team who make other squads look that bad.
                  So far all the games have been very close games. The differences between teams were a lot bigger in 2007 and before, not anymore. I believe the USA, Germany, Norway, Sweden era is over.

Comment

Sweden/Columbia
                    I saw both games today and my take was that Columbia's skill level was way below the Swedes. Too small and were too easily driven off the ball. They also lacked a certain level of skill. Trapped balls were bouncing off and too many unconnected balls. Sweden on the other hand could not finish and seemed too nervous. They also did not connect especially in the front.

USA/Korea
                    I thought the Us started off well but then, I hate to say this but Shannon Boxx and Lloyd just messed up the midfield. Boxx in particular was way too slow to the ball and gave away too many balls. Midfield was too slow in general. Korea looks like a team of the future. US has to groom some younger, faster and more skilled players if they want to compete on the highest level down the road.

Comment

Being USA the #1 ranked and I guess the oldest team, and North Korea one of the youngest if not the youngest (and being North Korea means low soccer), I was expecting a better USA performance. What I saw was a team full of big/tall/strong players and other team with better skills. Same happened in Sweden-Colombia game. I see USA and Sweden going to next round, but Korea and Colombia may surprise us in 2015.
                      The N. Koreans are the youngest team at the WC. Average age for the entire squad is 20 yrs and 11 months. By the same token, the commentators said US has the oldest squad (average age) and they had something like 118 caps combined compared to 10 times less for the N. Koreans. Someone said all the N. Koreans do is soccer 24/7 or they don't get to eat. Perhaps the Americans should be doing soccer more often, because from what I saw, those inexperienced teenagers have a lot of promise for the future. Not sure what the US team's future looks like. "Turn and Burn" soccer can't cut it when the other team's players are skilled and composed.

Comment

Originally posted by thebes20 View Post
                        Sweden/Columbia
                        I saw both games today and my take was that Columbia's skill level was way below the Swedes. Too small and were too easily driven off the ball. They also lacked a certain level of skill. Trapped balls were bouncing off and too many unconnected balls. Sweden on the other hand could not finish and seemed too nervous. They also did not connect especially in the front.

USA/Korea
                        I thought the Us started off well but then, I hate to say this but Shannon Boxx and Lloyd just messed up the midfield. Boxx in particular was way too slow to the ball and gave away too many balls. Midfield was too slow in general. Korea looks like a team of the future. US has to groom some younger, faster and more skilled players if they want to compete on the highest level down the road.
                        Boxx's age was showing. She's always been not-so-quick, but she was able to keep up. Today she got burned quite a bit by the youngsters. As for the overall US central mid-fielders, do they know how to take on players 1 on 1, or hold the ball, or do anything more creative than side-to-side play and direct passes to the strikers? N. Korea's midfielders were so much more dynamic than ours. And that seems to be a trend with US soccer (our men don't have dynamic central mids either). When will the US learn that a dynamic central-mid is the catalyst to a strong offense.

Comment

Heard the North Koreans are attributing their lose to getting struck by lightning? There's an excuse I haven't heard before.

Comment

That 16 year old was torching our defense. Our defense looke very vulnerable. we got outplayed in the 1st half and I hope that 1st half woke the girls up. But yes Korea is young, skilled and dangerous. I wouldn't be surprised to see them again at some point in the 2nd round. 10 teenagers on that team...

Comment

The N. Koreans are the youngest team at the WC. Average age for the entire squad is 20 yrs and 11 months. By the same token, the commentators said US has the oldest squad (average age) and they had something like 118 caps combined compared to 10 times less for the N. Koreans. Someone said all the N. Koreans do is soccer 24/7 or they don't get to eat. Perhaps the Americans should be doing soccer more often, because from what I saw, those inexperienced teenagers have a lot of promise for the future. Not sure what the US team's future looks like. "Turn and Burn" soccer can't cut it when the other team's players are skilled and composed.
                              A real intelligent statement, of the good young teams future look bright and the old team future is in question. Maybe it is because the old team will have a lot of careers that end? just maybe? Also maybe they are older and skills and speed diminish and not grow like the youngsters. They will have replacements ready, just sit tight.
                              You have all been complaining about US Soccer every year and all they do is win. Year in and Year out they are one of the top teams in the country. Keep complaining or just go back to where you are from.

Comment

A real intelligent statement, of the good young teams future look bright and the old team future is in question. Maybe it is because the old team will have a lot of careers that end? just maybe? Also maybe they are older and skills and speed diminish and not grow like the youngsters. They will have replacements ready, just sit tight.
                                You have all been complaining about US Soccer every year and all they do is win. Year in and Year out they are one of the top teams in the country. Keep complaining or just go back to where you are from.
                                sorry I meant top teams in the world....

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X