• Show
Clear All

"Hi Dad, can I have $20 for a sweatshirt?"

"Lemme see it first."

(shows a picture).

"Yeah, I can easily sell that for $25 in a year. Here you go."

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      #1 lesson about family activities is to never, never, NEVER consider the ROI. There is .0000001% chance anything you do as a family will give you a financial return.

Enjoy raising your kids and spending time with them. You can't put a return on that and shouldn't even be trying. They are your kids, not stocks.
      applause emoji ^ Do it because your kid loves it. If you think there will be a payout you're in it for the wrong reason. If it leads to something down the road, then lucky you. There are also many other lower cost alternatives out there. You don't have to do the pricey leagues, but if your kid has the skills and drive to play in college* you are going to have to bite the bullet for a a few years. That said, there are ways to help keep your costs lower. It doesn't cost $10K a year unless you want it to.

*be honest with yourself. you know your kid best. do they really have "it"? if you can't be honest then ask the advice of others outside of your club

Comment

Understood. But is getting on a plane 2 to 3 times a year really necessary to get the full benefit of playing a sport as a youth?

You seem defensive with your F bombs. Calm down...just trying to explore the topic which is relevant to most of us.
        That is somewhat out of our hands thanks to all the leagues and dilution. We're all just trying to navigate the soccer swamp as best we can, in the here and now.

Comment

applause emoji ^ Do it because your kid loves it. If you think there will be a payout you're in it for the wrong reason. If it leads to something down the road, then lucky you. There are also many other lower cost alternatives out there. You don't have to do the pricey leagues, but if your kid has the skills and drive to play in college* you are going to have to bite the bullet for a a few years. That said, there are ways to help keep your costs lower. It doesn't cost $10K a year unless you want it to.

*be honest with yourself. you know your kid best. do they really have "it"? if you can't be honest then ask the advice of others outside of your club
          many of the kids i see playing dont love it. What they love is the sense of team and the "friends" they think they are making. Its a social thing. As they gt older they realize that many of the kids were not friends at all !

If more kids actually loved the sport, they would demand a lot more for the money we pay

Comment

The value in a program also hinges greatly on the coach you get. 3,700 a year for the ECNL teams at both CT clubs offering that program but you cannot base that cost only seeing one coach, the coach you get at you age group or club could be vastly different than the ones clubs use to sell the program and not always in a positive way. FSA and CFC are prime examples of this, 2 big clubs with a couple of very good coaches and the rest are just fillers. So the ROI that you all seem to be talking about largely depends on not only the effort your kid puts in but also who you get stuck with as a coach.

Comment

Nobody is putting a gun to your head to play. Stay with your town travel and high school. You will be fine.

Comment

You cant look at ROI like that. For me, it includes time spent with my daughter, who otherwise would be on her phone, taking trips, watching her play and improve, staying in shape, make friends outside of her school circle, learning to work hard and function in a group, having fun as a family. All these things are lessons that last for life. If she gets a couple bucks off tuition for soccer that would be wonderful but it is certainly not the only way to judge ROI.

Comment

I struggle each year with this as I write that check.....so, so painful.

Many of the parents (sheep) out there have money to burn, and see this as the way to the college promised land. The ROI on this premier soccer stuff never pays off, and most of us know it and just shrug our shoulders thinking that this is "just the cost of doing business".

Who has the courage to step off of the hamster wheel?
                  Well, our town soccer program is run by a tyrant. For ten years the guy has done nothing but chase people away. Can't even kick a ball. Total chump

Comment

many of the kids i see playing dont love it. What they love is the sense of team and the "friends" they think they are making. Its a social thing. As they gt older they realize that many of the kids were not friends at all !

If more kids actually loved the sport, they would demand a lot more for the money we pay
                    Then parents should find cheaper alternatives to deliver similar intangibles

Comment

We're not taking flights, but our program is $2400. I have major reservations every year we start up again, especially because I'm realistic and know my kid is not college material and it's money that could be better spent elsewhere. However, he loves to play and he gets a decent share of minutes, never complains about having to go to practices or games, and faces some decent competition, and has had decent coaching. We tried town travel and it was a mess, so will not go back there (and this is in a town that is considered a "soccer town"). Long story short, I expect zero return on tuition and will keep doing it until my kid's interest wanes or he graduates HS (he's a 2006). I wish the towns would get their act together in general, when my oldest was playing the town leagues were still decent.

Comment

No one is spending (or definitely shouldn’t be) $10k a year at u12, u13, u14 and shouldn’t be at u18 either.

Individual families need to make decisions that work for them. If they can easily afford high costs for kids activities, great. If they can’t, then they need to examine their budget and make decisions. No one is forcing anyone to pay for anything.
                        You are mistaken. U12 and up at CFC United will run you $10k a year. Some of these teams go to 3 tournaments a year that require a flight. Do the math.

Comment

Nobody is putting a gun to your head to play. Stay with your town travel and high school. You will be fine.
                          That is why ECNL is the "country club" of youth soccer. Elitist league for rich kids.

Comment

what's the ROI on taking a vacation? Zero, zippo, zilch financially. Yet we all do it. Some of the ROI is intangibles that can't be measured. But obviously you don't understand that. The site is called "talking-soccer". If you don't like it, then why the f are you here? No matter the level, there's a financial commitment. And not all parents think their kids are getting full rides, are gonna play in college, or start on the National Team. Some are realistic and hope that the sport helps their child in different ways. Again, it's too bad that understanding that fact is above your intellectual level. But maybe if you went upstairs and asked your mother to explain it, you'll get a better understanding.
                            this was very nicely said

Comment

You are mistaken. U12 and up at CFC United will run you $10k a year. Some of these teams go to 3 tournaments a year that require a flight. Do the math.
                              Please show facts. You could be correct, but I’m not sure. Which 3 tournaments requiring flights are U12, U13 and U14 teams from CFC and FSA attending? List them.

Comment

We used to play for silver, now we play for life. One's for sport and one's for blood at the point of a knife. Now the die is shaken now the die must fall.

There ain't a winner in the game, you don't go home with all.

Not with all.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X