Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter has talked with this coach twice now at two different tournaments. There is a strong interest, but the communication is very weird. My daughter will send emails and texts, but get no reply. Then her club coach tells my daughter to contact the UT coach because of a phone call or conversation they had. She does it again and still no reply. My daughter is a junior, so there are no restrictions on communication.

Any recommendations?
    Start at the first page of this thread... It will explain why UT is not good.

Comment

My daughter has talked with this coach twice now at two different tournaments. There is a strong interest, but the communication is very weird. My daughter will send emails and texts, but get no reply. Then her club coach tells my daughter to contact the UT coach because of a phone call or conversation they had. She does it again and still no reply. My daughter is a junior, so there are no restrictions on communication.

Any recommendations?
      We spent another week going through this game. It's starting to be equally funny and frustrating.

Comment

non response can mean a few things

1) they're not interested or you're lower on their wish list
        2) they're slower than average and wait until the last minute to see who've they've got
        3) they're terrible communicators

2+3 says a lot about how they run the program. Stick with it if it's your kid's dream school; otherwise move on. most 2021 D1s are wrapping up now and the top ones are already gone

Comment

Erin Switalski is a very bad coach. She does not know the game well enough to be a College level coach.

Comment

We spent another week going through this game. It's starting to be equally funny and frustrating.
            It is regrettable that you are being treated this way. Unfortunately, this appears to be the normal way of things with the women's head coach. My oldest daughter went through the exact same experience 2 years ago. If you ask your club DOC, I'm positive that he will shake his head in agreement. It is known amongst most club coaches too. She just doesn't answer...anyone. My daughter had heavy interest from the head coach and assistant. They both watched her at several tournaments. She was invited to a weekend camp and at the end of that, the head coach clearly stated that she wanted her on the team. It was so clear, that coaches from other interested schools got wind of it. Yes, it was only a verbal, but that's how things worked at that stage. Because it was the middle of my daughter's junior year, the coach said to apply to the University, get accepted, and then we will finalize the offer. My daughter did all of that, keeping the coach in communication throughout each stage, per her request. In the fall of her senior year, she got accepted. No response. Then she was accepted to their Honors College. Still no response. Then a very nice merit scholarship was offered. Still nothing. Email after email and text, plus phone messages. Nada. My daughter gave up and moved on. No answer sometimes is an answer. Thankfully it was not the only option. There were plenty of others. Then just before Thanksgiving, the DOC pulls my daughter over after practice and asks why she is not following-up with the Tampa coach. The Tampa coach called the DOC and expressed a heavy interest. My daughter showed all of the correspondence over the months and no replies. The DOC jumped in and tried. He got no responses. Again, my daughter gave up. Then she gets another out of the blue message in January. Here we go again. OK. More messages with schedules and locations. No response. First event comes along and the club coach says that Tampa is here today and wants to talk to her and her parents after the games. OK, we'll try it again. We waited around, text and called, so did the club coach. Nothing. Jerked around once more. That was the last straw for my daughter. She had no further interest in a program with a coach like that. Did the coach find other players? Unknown. There were no commits listed anywhere and the roster this past year only showed a few transfers. But in the end and realistically, we were dealing with the University of Tampa. D2 soccer with an average academic reputation. This was not UNC, Stanford, or Duke. No way can any player go to a program where a coach cannot even acknowledge an email that she herself requested.

My daughter's experience may have been unique, but from what our DOC and other coaches have said, it is standard for Tampa. If we had known that from the beginning, my daughter would not have taken the coach's statements so seriously, especially to the point in telling some other schools "no thank you." It is a very poor reflection on the University of Tampa.

If your daughter finally does get a WRITTEN commitment from Tampa, a big congratulations. Good luck to her and your family on this next stage in her life.

Comment

Had a situation I reached out to the AD on. Same response (or should I say lack thereof).

Comment

There were 4 NLI signees for 2020-2021:
                http://sunshinestateconference.com/s...es.aspx?id=87&

With a small number of graduating seniors, 4 recruits seems appropriate, given that there will probably be transfers as well. They probably got the numbers they were looking for and shut down the pipeline. Your daughter might have been further down the list. It's a game on both sides, and there's not always a happy ending.

Sorry for the bad experience. Recruiting is very demanding on coaches, and communication is not always what it needs to be. Hope your daughter found a good alternative.

Comment

With a small number of graduating seniors, 4 recruits seems appropriate, given that there will probably be transfers as well. They probably got the numbers they were looking for and shut down the pipeline. Your daughter might have been further down the list. It's a game on both sides, and there's not always a happy ending.

Sorry for the bad experience. Recruiting is very demanding on coaches, and communication is not always what it needs to be. Hope your daughter found a good alternative.
                  Good info, but wrong year. OP was talking about 2021-2022. The other instance was 2019-2020.

Overall, it is fairly clear that the coach has communication issues. You don't tell a player to commit to their program and then stop talking to them. Other than Tampa's location, it is not that attractive of a school or program. I bet kids from northern states love this option. The roster sure shows that. More than half are out of state. The rest are local players.

Comment

Not the poster but in this day and age there's no excuse for shooting players an email and saying "sorry we're full up." It happens often enough and certainly will happen to them as they apply and interview for jobs later on. But it''s a massive decision, a important financial decision, and kids set their hearts on schools.

You just don't want your kid playing for someone who can't be bothered to send you an email.

Comment

Good info, but wrong year. OP was talking about 2021-2022. The other instance was 2019-2020.

Overall, it is fairly clear that the coach has communication issues. You don't tell a player to commit to their program and then stop talking to them. Other than Tampa's location, it is not that attractive of a school or program. I bet kids from northern states love this option. The roster sure shows that. More than half are out of state. The rest are local players.
                      You will not see any official list until the National Letters of Intent are signed in February each year for the season that starts that year. Until then everything is verbal. It works that way for every school.

Your complaint is lacking important details. If this coach offered a verbal commitment, then stopped talking to you, there's something you're not telling us.

Comment

Worst coach in UT's history

Erin Switalski is the worst coach in UT's soccer history

George Fotopoulos 1998-99 (2) 4-6 (.400) 20-14-1 (.614)
                        Jay Entlich 2000-01 (2) 7-5 (.583) 23-15 (.605)
                        Bobby Johnston 2002-06 (5) 31-8-4 (.792) 69-23-7 (.732)
                        Gerry Lucey 2007-14 (8) 37-20-7 (.633) 114-43-20 (.701)
                        Erin Switalski 2015-current (4) 18-13-6 (.567) 35-25-14 (.567)

Yearly Results:
                        https://www.tampaspartans.com/sports...yearly-results

See the decline....

Comment

You're disparaging a winning record? Somebody has a petty grudge. Or doesn't like that women are in charge of that program.

So transparent.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X