Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I posted above - by senior year I think most times you usually are down to just a few. Even if it's a few more it can be managed with clear cut expectations from the coach and families being able to accept it. If you or your player can't handle being a practice cone it's time to let it go and move on.
    the problem being discussed is not coming from the uppers its coming from the under parents who want the Varsity spot to sit on the same bench

Comment

If your kid isn't earning a starting job as an upper classman don't expect them to ever play. Seriously you people who dial in for 2 months and bark all around. Your kid doesn't play. Now sit down
      not having a starting spot doesn't mean you don't play, or that you bring leadership to the team- their are many ways to help a team and also to hurt a team

this thread is a perfect example
      people want the coach to show no loyalty and cut seniors so Freshman who cant start yet can sit in their spots

as soon as a parent approached me with that thought I would cvut their kid and rid myself of that family
      the name on the front of the jersey means a hell of a lot more than the one on the back

Comment

not having a starting spot doesn't mean you don't play, or that you bring leadership to the team- their are many ways to help a team and also to hurt a team

people want the coach to show no loyalty and cut seniors so Freshman who cant start yet can sit in their spots

as soon as a parent approached me with that thought I would cvut their kid and rid myself of that family
        the name on the front of the jersey means a hell of a lot more than the one on the back
        There’s no need to cut seniors at all. The number of players on a roster doesn’t matter at all, could have 20-30, makes no difference. Some won’t play in games ever unless there’s a blowout or it’s senior night and they’ll get their token minutes. As long as the coach clearly communicates and the player understands their role, it works, I’ve seen it first hand at our school.

Comment

One of the best captains our HS team ever had in recent memory barely ever played. I totally agree that as long as the coach is clear, the reasons for earning PT are clear, and families can handle the lack of PT there is no reason to cut seniors who have been loyal all along the way.

Comment

High school

There’s no need to cut seniors at all. The number of players on a roster doesn’t matter at all, could have 20-30, makes no difference. Some won’t play in games ever unless there’s a blowout or it’s senior night and they’ll get their token minutes. As long as the coach clearly communicates and the player understands their role, it works, I’ve seen it first hand at our school.
            This post nails the right answer. You don’t cut seniors Who want to be there. Any kid who the coach feels will get varsity playing time will get a roster spot no matter what year they are. Seniors who don’t play don’t get in the way. Coach can roster 30 Kids if they want. As long as the coach has the pre season discussion with the seniors and parents who may not play there aren’t any issues. nothing wrong with having some seniors that just want to be a part of the team.

Comment

This post nails the right answer. You don’t cut seniors Who want to be there. Any kid who the coach feels will get varsity playing time will get a roster spot no matter what year they are. Seniors who don’t play don’t get in the way. Coach can roster 30 Kids if they want. As long as the coach has the pre season discussion with the seniors and parents who may not play there aren’t any issues. nothing wrong with having some seniors that just want to be a part of the team.
              Agreed, but the minute there is even appearance of some kind of favoritism for PT it can crash and burn faster than a NASCAR race. Coaches have to stick to their guns AND the AD's have to have their coachs' backs.

Comment

My daughter was a 4 year starter in HS on a LL team. There were seniors on the roster every year that didn’t play including some of her best friends this past fall.

Having a varsity team with a heavy presence of juniors and seniors is huge. They bring maturity and often times a physicality that is helpful in games and practices. I see it as being helpful for 14 year freshman in braces to have older players around. It’s part of HS sports.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                Working...
                X