• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost going up per coach OD

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Chief,

My kid just got an offer worth roughly 120,000 over four years.

Do me a favor and figure out how my “premier” spend worked out?

In full disclosure, Your numbers are pretty light in terms of the costs.

This does work out for some kids.
      In not Chief, but you are an exception. There's 1000 kids in your club with coaches that don't care and in dead end branches that spend 3k. That's good math for the guys at the top who care even less about your kid than their coaches. Now go back to being a D1k chief

Comment

Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
        Chief,

In not Chief, but you are an exception. There's 1000 kids in your club with coaches that don't care and in dead end branches that spend 3k. That's good math for the guys at the top who care even less about your kid than their coaches. Now go back to being a D1k chief
        Actually, mine too. We weren't expecting it. At a decent school. Accepting. Yes, it's late, so it did catch us off-guard. So, from experience, I can tell you that such things happen, and I would not really have believed it previously.

Comment

Chief,

Your kid got $30K athletic money per year (almost a 50% scholarship) or was much of this merit?

Comment

Your kid got $30K athletic money per year (almost a 50% scholarship) or was much of this merit?
            Dont' expect legit answers on scholarships on this site

Comment

Dont' expect legit answers on scholarships on this site
              So, when I said, "mine too," I am talking about not exclusively athletic money at all. They didn't have enough or weren't willing to part with enough of it for my kid. However, what they did do was go to the mat with admissions to make sure they got as much academic money as absolutely possible. Seriously, they did a great job with that. I see that as better than athletic money, but feel free to disagree.

Comment

So, when I said, "mine too," I am talking about not exclusively athletic money at all. They didn't have enough or weren't willing to part with enough of it for my kid. However, what they did do was go to the mat with admissions to make sure they got as much academic money as absolutely possible. Seriously, they did a great job with that. I see that as better than athletic money, but feel free to disagree.
                The more important point is that merit money is readily available at many schools for any kid. Your kid likely would have got the majority of the 120k with merit alone even if she didnt play soccer. Say she got $25k/year of merit (which is a mediocre amount for a $65-70k school) .... that means her soccer "earned" her a whopping $5k per year (which means you lost money on the deal over the last 10 years).

Comment

The more important point is that merit money is readily available at many schools for any kid. Your kid likely would have got the majority of the 120k with merit alone even if she didnt play soccer. Say she got $25k/year of merit (which is a mediocre amount for a $65-70k school) .... that means her soccer "earned" her a whopping $5k per year (which means you lost money on the deal over the last 10 years).
                  You make a lot of assumptions here and position it as fact. Interesting. Worry about your own kid.

Not the OP.

Comment

You make a lot of assumptions here and position it as fact. Interesting. Worry about your own kid.

Not the OP.
                    Fine, my kid got $150k to play soccer at a D3 and didn't play at a big 3. My kid did better than the other guy's kid. Just sayin'.

Comment

Fine, my kid got $150k to play soccer at a D3 and didn't play at a big 3. My kid did better than the other guy's kid. Just sayin'.
                      Your kid was very smart and would have gotten it anyway, bet the farm on it. Had nothing to do with soccer talent.

Comment

Your kid was very smart and would have gotten it anyway, bet the farm on it. Had nothing to do with soccer talent.
                        That was my point about his kid, nimrod!

Comment

Very few kids playing as Freshman and less make it to Junior year. The monies these kids get beside the top 1-3 players is non-athletic monies.

Kids get more scholarship money for good grades than being average soccer player. Only the top 1-3 players benifit from athletic money.

I would love to see each clubs alumni that made it to play in college and have them post how many actual games these kids played. The numbers would actually surprise many of the TS experts.

Comment

That was my point about his kid, nimrod!
                            Seemed to me that your point was different you dolt. Your point was exactly what you said...”my kid got $150k to play soccer...” They didn’t get $$ to play soccer, they got it for being smart and were able to also make the team at a D3 school. Congrats to them and to you (you seem to be the one who wants the congrats).

Comment

Seemed to me that your point was different you dolt. Your point was exactly what you said...”my kid got $150k to play soccer...” They didn’t get $$ to play soccer, they got it for being smart and were able to also make the team at a D3 school. Congrats to them and to you (you seem to be the one who wants the congrats).
                              Do you read the Bible literally as well?

Comment

Not necessarily true. In my experience, D3 coaches can help students get admission to a D3 school that their resume wouldn't otherwise get them in to (though, they probably must be close to the fence), and D3 coaches can work wonders with admissions to find ways to offset the cost of tuition that otherwise wouldn't be available (would go to other applicants) or would be impossible to find. D3 doesn't give "athletic" scholarships, but there are ways to make "academic" scholarships work very well for a player that you want.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X