Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    GDA is marginally cheaper, definitely not cheap. About $1500 less vs ECNL for us; varies some club to club. For most middle to upper income soccer families that doesn't matter much. It makes the more important factors matter more - coaching quality, fit with player, quality of competition etc. Unless you're on a mls squad you're still paying a lot of money for club soccer.
    Read the article. It doesn't matter what you are paying if they aren't playing. One game a weekend with limited substitutions with no re-entry is leaving many players with less game time experience. Then the DA players can't be dual rostered on another team or go to any outside tournaments to gain the valuable playing time.

Comment

You know who this matters to most? The kids at those clubs or in those areas. With anything you have to pick the best option available to you. PDA is not an option that is avaialble to me so it doesn't really matter.
      When it signals a weakening of the league and flaws in the proposition it should matter to you

Comment

Read the article. It doesn't matter what you are paying if they aren't playing. One game a weekend with limited substitutions with no re-entry is leaving many players with less game time experience. Then the DA players can't be dual rostered on another team or go to any outside tournaments to gain the valuable playing time.
        I should have clarified - we're not with GDA but had an offer last year. Glad my kid listened to her spidey-sense and chose what she felt was best for her. Much of her choice was driven by the reasons you listed. We also had a cousin who gave up HS for BDA, luckily landed a spot at a good D1 school but got cut after one season. It was a good dose of reality of what really matters in the end and that is the education/college, not soccer. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had a true professional or NT path player, but I don't. Most families are like me than not. That's why GDA is struggling

Comment

You know who this matters to most? The kids at those clubs or in those areas. With anything you have to pick the best option available to you. PDA is not an option that is avaialble to me so it doesn't really matter.
          PDA, Hawks, or Stars aren't an option but if teams of that high of a quality leave the GDA to go back to the ECNL, it will affect your kid if she plays in the GDA. The reason that it will affect your kid is because other high quality clubs will follow those clubs and go back to the ECNL. The Chicago Eclipse and the Slammers are already being rumored to do so. If many others follow, the quality of the clubs in the GDA will go down as will the competition. It's always best to play against the best competition available and that "best competition" may end up being in the ECNL as it was before the GDA existed.

Comment

When it signals a weakening of the league and flaws in the proposition it should matter to you
            You are both right and wrong as the answer is probably somewhere in the middle. The upcoming year will be telling for sure.

As of now though, I think GDA is still better positioned to succeed than ECNL boys. As the parent of committed Junior, I will sit back and watch this play out because I would like to see Florida as whole be better and not worry so much about the patch.

Comment

PDA, Hawks, or Stars aren't an option but if teams of that high of a quality leave the GDA to go back to the ECNL, it will affect your kid if she plays in the GDA. The reason that it will affect your kid is because other high quality clubs will follow those clubs and go back to the ECNL. The Chicago Eclipse and the Slammers are already being rumored to do so. If many others follow, the quality of the clubs in the GDA will go down as will the competition. It's always best to play against the best competition available and that "best competition" may end up being in the ECNL as it was before the GDA existed.
              ECNL and DA are equal, but in different markets. Showcases are both attended. Elite players and teams can be found in both leagues. This is about clubs taking a stance for their membership if US Soccer can not make concessions so that DA meets the needs of their membership.

Comment

Exactly. It also means that players and parents at other DA clubs in Florida likely have the same concerns about substitution rules, playing time, waivers for private school high school kids only, and other issues.

Comment

You may very well be right. Time will tell. Maybe the Federation lightens up. Maybe no one else leaves and those three clubs end up living on an island as far as the NT is concerned. The Hawks DOC sits on the ECNL board so there is probably a little more to their story. More clubs joined GDA and ECNL so guessing many of our kids will be close to college before this is settled.

Comment

It was so much more fun bashing club than bashing leagues. Why does everything have to get so complicated?????

Comment

I should have clarified - we're not with GDA but had an offer last year. Glad my kid listened to her spidey-sense and chose what she felt was best for her. Much of her choice was driven by the reasons you listed. We also had a cousin who gave up HS for BDA, luckily landed a spot at a good D1 school but got cut after one season. It was a good dose of reality of what really matters in the end and that is the education/college, not soccer. Maybe I'd feel differently if I had a true professional or NT path player, but I don't. Most families are like me than not. That's why GDA is struggling
                      ^^^
                      good post
                      Thx

Comment

Exactly. It also means that players and parents at other DA clubs in Florida likely have the same concerns about substitution rules, playing time, waivers for private school high school kids only, and other issues.
                        We do. Very much so.

Comment

This is Florida your talking about. Parents worrying about that is a stretch. Those norther clubs have the luxury of consolidated talent. Many families drive 2 + hrs to get to the Hawks because it is the best club hands down. Don't even get me started about winter indoor.

In Florida, biggest concern is getting competitive with Tophat and Courage across all ages and clubs. You can probably count the number of TEAMS in florida let alone clubs that can go toe to toe with them consistently no matter which league.

Comment

Maybe no one else leaves and those three clubs end up living on an island as far as the NT is concerned.
                            That could be but I doubt it. I'll post something that I read on another forum that makes a lot of sense to me. It's not in the exact words but you'll get the idea.

If the USSF plays the card of "you've got to be in the GDA to be selected to an NT", they will do it at their own peril. Clubs like the Hawks, PDA, Stars, and the Chicago Eclipse will always have outstanding talent with NT potential. Also, elite clubs like the Chicago Eclipse and the Slammers are being rumored to leave the GDA and go to ECNL only. All of those clubs either have NT players or almost always have kids on the roster in NT pools or being considered for NT pools. If the USSF does play that card, they will run the risk of fielding teams that are not as good as they could be. It not be smart for the USSF to go down that route.

You can bet that if all of those clubs leave the GDA and go to ECNL only, other high-level clubs will follow. If other elite SoCal, Midwestern, and East coast clubs leave along with the Hawks, PDA, Mass Stars, Slammers, Eclipse, and potentially Texas clubs if they do, it will be the Florida clubs that will be on an island and on the outside looking in. This is all a mess that I hope gets sorted out but my kid only has a short amount of time left in the club scene and I am grateful for that.

Comment

you say that like it's not what US Soccer wants though. They want games to be more meaningful instead of playing 75 games a year and wearing players out. Their focus was/is on the quality of training, they are only supposed to be playing one game for every 4 training sessions, which they took from South America and Europe, supposedly. At least thats what they tell us at the meetings. Now for the players who are 15-18 on the roster, yes something should be done where they find ways to get them more game time, maybe an opposite DP player, where a player on DA team can play witht he NPL or FSPL team a certain amount of games like a normal DP player can now with the DA team

Comment

from SW interview with Jason Dewhurst / FC Stars DOC.
                                This guy seems like the kind of DOC anyone would want their kid playing for.

Here's the argument why FC Stars left the DA.....
                                ___

"For us, with the no-entry it became tough, especially with the one-game weekends. Kids just weren’t seeing as much playing time.

If a kid was only seeing 15 to 20 minutes on a Saturday in a DA game, then we would like to say to that kid, “Guess what, you're going to play a full game tomorrow with our NPL team.”
                                But because of the rule of the no outside competition, we weren’t able to do that."
                                ___

The second one I would say is the double age group, specifically next year at the 2002, 2003 age group. For example, we have a current U-15 team, 2003s, and these players have given up high school soccer, they’ve committed to the DA, they’ve committed to our program. And then within a year, more than likely, more than half those kids will probably be cut from the program, because it goes to a double age group....

For us, we thought that was unacceptable for those players. To come in and give up high school soccer is a huge deal in our area. That caused a lot of anxiety from the parents as the season is coming to an end. What are we going to do next year?
                                ___

And we as a club from Day 1 decided that we were not going to [ask for] waivers. And the reason for that is because I don’t think you can look one kid in the eye and say, “Listen, because you’re a private school kid we’re going to give you a waiver and you can play high school,” and look another kid in the eye and say, “Guess what, because you don’t go to private school, we’re going to make you give up high school soccer.”

For us, we made that decision from Day 1. We stood by it. But the reality is that prohibited a lot of our top players from playing in the DA. And that would have continued.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X