Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any kids play for free?

Our D started club at U11 last fall, just to accelerate coaching experience from what she was getting at town level. As she begins spring season, we are eyeing next fall with thoughts of remaining with club, as she's improved greatly & MORE importantly, is having a blast & making friends. Our only agenda are those two points, coaching & social interaction. We are not disillusioned that a superstar will emerge. Our thoughts are that annual fees may increase. My wife & I were wondering if the clubs give monetary breaks to upper team players? And not due to family financial issues. Monetary breaks to keep good players in club? And if so, how common is this practice?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Our D started club at U11 last fall, just to accelerate coaching experience from what she was getting at town level. As she begins spring season, we are eyeing next fall with thoughts of remaining with club, as she's improved greatly & MORE importantly, is having a blast & making friends. Our only agenda are those two points, coaching & social interaction. We are not disillusioned that a superstar will emerge. Our thoughts are that annual fees may increase. My wife & I were wondering if the clubs give monetary breaks to upper team players? And not due to family financial issues. Monetary breaks to keep good players in club? And if so, how common is this practice?
    What are you smoking?

Comment

Yes, common for top players of top teams.

Comment

It happens. Your kid has to be good enough and you have ask...and be willing to leave or not pay.

Comment

Yes it happens sometimes for studs, but it shouldn't. Scholarships should go to families in need to enable more kids to be able to play. Many clubs will only operate that way and ask for proof that you need financial help. Clubs that give breaks to top players are just trying to keep their win records strong.

If you can afford it but are asking for a break you're a douche.

Comment

Stars do it all the time. Several stars players given a free ride on the 01, 02, 03 teams.

To those parent that pay, how does that make you feel?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
              Stars do it all the time. Several stars players given a free ride on the 01, 02, 03 teams.

There is no chance this person knows this. None. It’s the BBA crazies that have posted on every thread. I do know of at least one girl that gets aid at BBA, although most on the team can afford it. It’s a pretty affluent group.

Comment

Yes it happens sometimes for studs, but it shouldn't. Scholarships should go to families in need to enable more kids to be able to play. Many clubs will only operate that way and ask for proof that you need financial help. Clubs that give breaks to top players are just trying to keep their win records strong.

If you can afford it but are asking for a break you're a douche.
                Why are you a douche for asking? Are you a douche for asking for a college scholarship? Just because you can "afford" it doesn't mean you couldn't use that money somewhere else. Even if you have FU money it's an open market, you can ask and the club can say no.

Comment

Here a real doosh answer, but its true

Elite club soccer is not a necessity. It is a luxury service paid for by the Joneses. We are paying to give our child a development experience that we hope will provide certain advantages. If a stud player really can make a differemake then that player improves the clubs product and our experience. Scholarship away, I am getting whet I paid for. Giving a need-based award to a middle tier player is counter to my goals.

Comment

Yes, common for top players of top teams.
                    Nefc is the only club that consistently gives out free rides to top players. That’s how they grew. In their early tax disclosure filings they accidentally listed them.

Comment

It's true.

Comment

You DONT have to play if you feel so badly.

Comment

When one of my players was offered a free ride that wasn't for financial reasons I took it as a sign of desperation. I was right as the team folded the following year.

Comment

When one of my players was offered a free ride that wasn't for financial reasons I took it as a sign of desperation. I was right as the team folded the following year.
                            Did you accept?

Comment

Did you accept?
                              No! Attending a practice made it clear it wasn't the place for them; coaching was solid but the roster was very weak. The offer smelt desperate

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X