X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lower income “diamonds”

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I keep hearing about how these lower income “diamonds” are being overlooked all over the place. Would it not then stand to reason that these lower income communities would be kicking butt at the youngest travel ages before club soccer and all the high priced training kicks in? Sorry, that is just not happening. Those teams usually get their butts kicked at U8 travel too.
    Is this a common thought across the soccer community?

Understanding that even professional scouts/clubs can rarely predict who will be a 'diamond' from age 7, why is it difficult to believe that there are many players possibly with National Team potential who get excluded from achieving that potential due to the pay-to-play model?

Understanding that even professional scouts/clubs can rarely predict who will be a 'diamond' from age 7, why is it difficult to believe that there are many players possibly with National Team potential who get excluded from achieving that potential due to the pay-to-play model?
    Premier soccer (ECNL and DA) are both capitalistic ventures. There is no altruism here, so stop pretending. Who says lower income kids have to participate in these expensive sports? My family is middle-class and no one is looking to help me with anything. If we can't afford something my kids want (including sports) then they don't get it. Why should anyone try to manufacture players or pros. If they want it, tell them to play a lot after school and get it so that some club can't do without. Are club scouts now supposed to scour greater boston parks and check last year's tax returns to find decent soccer players whose families earn less than $50k per year? Sorry, no one has the god-given right to play premier soccer. I don't remember the part of the Declaration of Independence that says:
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, AND THE ABILITY TO PLAY YOUTH SPORTS EVEN IF THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT."

Comment

Premier soccer (ECNL and DA) are both capitalistic ventures. There is no altruism here, so stop pretending. Who says lower income kids have to participate in these expensive sports? My family is middle-class and no one is looking to help me with anything. If we can't afford something my kids want (including sports) then they don't get it. Why should anyone try to manufacture players or pros. If they want it, tell them to play a lot after school and get it so that some club can't do without. Are club scouts now supposed to scour greater boston parks and check last year's tax returns to find decent soccer players whose families earn less than $50k per year? Sorry, no one has the god-given right to play premier soccer. I don't remember the part of the Declaration of Independence that says:
      "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, AND THE ABILITY TO PLAY YOUTH SPORTS EVEN IF THEY CAN'T AFFORD IT."
      And there, folks, is why the US will never win a WC. This country isn't interested in creating a true soccer culture. It's just me, me, me. Who cares if we don't get the best as long as little Cody has a spot because I can afford it while the kids with talent can't!

Comment

Wow. Just wow.

Comment

And there, folks, is why the US will never win a WC. This country isn't interested in creating a true soccer culture. It's just me, me, me. Who cares if we don't get the best as long as little Cody has a spot because I can afford it while the kids with talent can't!

^^This. and yet at the very top, these sports are run on Communist principles that continue to enrich a carefully hand picked few and reduce real competition.

Comment

There are a lot of parents that can afford to pay for my son's DA spot. That doesn't mean their kid can take it.

Comment

There are a lot of parents that can afford to pay for my son's DA spot. That doesn't mean their kid can take it.
              Maybe true. But there are plenty who can't afford it and whose son definitely could take it. But as long as you use $ to keep them away, you can rest easy knowing you can brag your son's the "best", even if the rest of us know he's the best in the targeted socioeconomic group. Big difference!

Comment

this is not about boys as much as girls. talented lower income boys do have a shot at funded MLS academies. no such animal for the girls.

Comment

If their kid is better than your kid and has more potential, I can think of a lot of reasons why the MLS club DAs and USSF might want them playing instead of yours (even if they can't afford to pay).

Comment

this is not about boys as much as girls. talented lower income boys do have a shot at funded MLS academies. no such animal for the girls.
                    Plenty of lower income boys who can't even afford the time off or travel to Foxborough

Comment

Plenty of lower income boys who can't even afford the time off or travel to Foxborough
                      True. But in other places there are some academies accessible by public transportation.

Comment

Maybe true. But there are plenty who can't afford it and whose son definitely could take it. But as long as you use $ to keep them away, you can rest easy knowing you can brag your son's the "best", even if the rest of us know he's the best in the targeted socioeconomic group. Big difference!
                        I totally disagree and you're projecting. My son has put an inordinate amount of time into soccer over the last 6-7 years. That includes a great deal of time on his own.

This perception of rich, unathletic white kids playing soccer is so played out.

Feel free to educate all of us on the way US Soccer can approve the process.

Comment

If their kid is better than your kid and has more potential, I can think of a lot of reasons why the MLS club DAs and USSF might want them playing instead of yours (even if they can't afford to pay).
                          I can think of a better one why they shouldn't .... who will pay for it all? Once again, the middle and upper classes somehow. Soccer is not a money maker in the US at any level. Even the MLS team mostly lose money every year. Sorry liberals, should we raise property taxes and toll fees on the mass pike so illegals can play free soccer to the tune of $10k per year each?

Comment

There are no unicorns or diamonds!!!
                            Anyone, I repeat, anyone, who kicks a ball better than the next kid gets noticed.
                            If they are in a low income situation, maybe it happens in middle school, but most, if not all, can afford town ball where other folk will notice.
                            If they are in an ethnic community which might struggle to pay, then chances are there is a soccer ball somewhere and they probably get better training with dad and friends.
                            Stop worrying about other people’s ability to play and get your kid to juggle

Comment

I totally disagree and you're projecting. My son has put an inordinate amount of time into soccer over the last 6-7 years. That includes a great deal of time on his own.

This perception of rich, unathletic white kids playing soccer is so played out.

Feel free to educate all of us on the way US Soccer can approve the process.
                              Putting in the work doesn't make him the best. Sorry if you thought it did. He doesn't "deserve" that spot any more than a kid whose parents earn less but who also puts in the work and happens to be naturally better than your son.

I can see this truth is hurting you but it needs to be said: your kid isn't "the best". He's the best of the kids who have parents who can afford the opportunity. Still an accomplishment, but don't go fooling yourself into believing he's something better than he is.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X