Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    GDA teams I’m familiar with only play the subs (and often only use 3 subs) like 15 minutes and some zero minutes even in showcase games. Since GDA is the only soccer they are allowed to do, how can that be good for development or fair? The ECNL teams I know, actually play everyone (maybe more than they should) in showcase games. In addition, top players that are already committed, often sit more than normal to give non-committed players a chance to be seen more. This trend could be a big factor in many non-committed players choosing ECNL, couldn’t it?
    As soon as I read the DA rule book last summer ahead of GDA, it was pretty clear DA didn't give a s*** about college recruiting. The showcase games count equally with division games in the tables that will determine invitations to the summer playoffs. Participating in those summer playoffs is a BIG deal for clubs and DOCs. One team from an otherwise crappy DA club making the playoffs is a big deal, and gives an entire club a year's worth of bragging rights.

Sure, coaches will be quick to use commitments as publicity for their club once they are announced, and some might even be great advocates for all their players not just the top 2-3, but you are kidding yourself if you think the coaches at clubs within reach of the playoffs aren't completely focused on picking up three wins no matter the effect on their player's futures. (I won't even talk about what is going on at the bottom 1/3, because it is rec ball)

I also have been scratching my head as to why the U19s were not a part of this "showcase". A lot of juniors are '00s, yet the GDA showcase doesn't even include the U19s ('00s and '99s) in the spring "showcase"?!? USSF seems more interested in having their legion of 'scouts' watch 14U games, than helping U19 players find a good landing spot in college.

Just wish more parents would question who the DA was built for while they wait in line at the USSF t-shirt tent during these events. Can you hear the new USSF leadership laughing in the background? They just sold thousands of DA branded hoodies to girls who were buying Regional League merch at this time last year.

Comment

As soon as I read the DA rule book last summer ahead of GDA, it was pretty clear DA didn't give a s*** about college recruiting. The showcase games count equally with division games in the tables that will determine invitations to the summer playoffs. Participating in those summer playoffs is a BIG deal for clubs and DOCs. One team from an otherwise crappy DA club making the playoffs is a big deal, and gives an entire club a year's worth of bragging rights.

Sure, coaches will be quick to use commitments as publicity for their club once they are announced, and some might even be great advocates for all their players not just the top 2-3, but you are kidding yourself if you think the coaches at clubs within reach of the playoffs aren't completely focused on picking up three wins no matter the effect on their player's futures. (I won't even talk about what is going on at the bottom 1/3, because it is rec ball)

I also have been scratching my head as to why the U19s were not a part of this "showcase". A lot of juniors are '00s, yet the GDA showcase doesn't even include the U19s ('00s and '99s) in the spring "showcase"?!? USSF seems more interested in having their legion of 'scouts' watch 14U games, than helping U19 players find a good landing spot in college.

Just wish more parents would question who the DA was built for while they wait in line at the USSF t-shirt tent during these events. Can you hear the new USSF leadership laughing in the background? They just sold thousands of DA branded hoodies to girls who were buying Regional League merch at this time last year.
      The DA didn't sell well with the older kids. Having them at showcase events is bad for business. Too much bad soccer and many blowouts. They have need to gain alot of ground to catch ECNL.

Comment

this post is epic. Why are you not mad at the Club coaches then ? It amazes me how people give certain sectors a pass. IF your club is run by people who care and think big picture, this stuff goes away. why dont you hold your Club accountable for doing the right thing and let other do the same? Why is making the playoffs a big deal if it comes at the cost of kids in your club who are paying the same as you >

The sooner we as parents start fighting battles we can win at Club level, the better placed we will be to influence how we want things done. Except it wont happen becasue you are all divided by self interest. the kid who plays heavy minutes does not care about the ones who dont..well the parents of the kid I should say.

The funy thing is that the few Clubs who do try and implement values and standards are laughed at. told tehy donw win or tehir recoerd sucks. The ones who poach players, ahve huge rosters( depth) and win are held up as pillars of virtue.

We have what we desrrve and it wont change until parents support each other.

this is not a USSF problem , it a club problem. Its OUR problem.

Comment

The want to buy the league and the merch. Who cares?

Comment

The DA didn't sell well with the older kids. Having them at showcase events is bad for business. Too much bad soccer and many blowouts. They have need to gain alot of ground to catch ECNL.
            Catch ECNL ..thats hilarious.

Comment

this post is epic. Why are you not mad at the Club coaches then ? It amazes me how people give certain sectors a pass. IF your club is run by people who care and think big picture, this stuff goes away. why dont you hold your Club accountable for doing the right thing and let other do the same? Why is making the playoffs a big deal if it comes at the cost of kids in your club who are paying the same as you >

The sooner we as parents start fighting battles we can win at Club level, the better placed we will be to influence how we want things done. Except it wont happen becasue you are all divided by self interest. the kid who plays heavy minutes does not care about the ones who dont..well the parents of the kid I should say.

The funy thing is that the few Clubs who do try and implement values and standards are laughed at. told tehy donw win or tehir recoerd sucks. The ones who poach players, ahve huge rosters( depth) and win are held up as pillars of virtue.

There is a market for a league for the families that care mostly about making the playoffs . No one is forced to play in it.

Comment

There is a market for a league for the families that care mostly about making the playoffs . No one is forced to play in it.
                are you saying you cant make the playoffs AND do the right thing?

Comment

Right, with all the back and forth arguing that DA>ECNL, ECNL>DA sounds like it's a good thing that there are now two leagues on the girls side that have high level play, but each with a little bit different focus. If you like the way things are run in DA, play DA. If you think ECNL is doing it right, play ECNL. Be happy you have a choice!

Comment

Right, with all the back and forth arguing that DA>ECNL, ECNL>DA sounds like it's a good thing that there are now two leagues on the girls side that have high level play, but each with a little bit different focus. If you like the way things are run in DA, play DA. If you think ECNL is doing it right, play ECNL. Be happy you have a choice!
                    Nothing about it is happy. But there is also nothing any of us can do about it so hold your nose, choose one and enjoy.

Comment

Nothing about it is happy. But there is also nothing any of us can do about it so hold your nose, choose one and enjoy.
                      Try Girl Scouts, they all seem to be happy there.

Comment

Try Girl Scouts, they all seem to be happy there.
                        Don't you go after the beloved girl scouts! They are great actually. But unfortunately not for soccer.

Comment

this post is epic. Why are you not mad at the Club coaches then ? ...

At first I thought you were complimenting my post by calling it epic! ;) By the time I finished reading, I was appreciating your points. I am also mad at coaches, and clubs, and USSF (they aren't all mutually exclusive), and am happy to join your support group... hopefully we can get it all sorted prior to my U11 going through the Uteens mess.

Having a U17 who is in 'fog of battle' as a freshman trying to get noticed, makes the clear long-term thinking you've suggested difficult to consider. I had real concerns prior to the start of the year. Shame on me for following others and not listening to my gut. I'm sure most of us think we are wolves in sheep's clothing... truth is most of us are sheep in sheep's clothing.

Comment

Good points. Particularly about u18-19 group. Agree they should have gone. Perhaps if the ncaa passes the new recruiting rules, u14 won’t be such a big showcase year. The GDA teams in question are ranked in the bottom half of their weak league. At that point, don’t you try for development? I guess they won’t mind losing bench players to ECNL where they can play more & do extra soccer but it seems USSoccer will miss out on many late bloomers and others. I thought the whole point of GDA was to cast a wider net for future pro and national teams. On the other hand, if parents keep signing kids up for GDA then nothing will change.

Comment

Good points. Particularly about u18-19 group. Agree they should have gone. Perhaps if the ncaa passes the new recruiting rules, u14 won’t be such a big showcase year. The GDA teams in question are ranked in the bottom half of their weak league. At that point, don’t you try for development? I guess they won’t mind losing bench players to ECNL where they can play more & do extra soccer but it seems USSoccer will miss out on many late bloomers and others. I thought the whole point of GDA was to cast a wider net for future pro and national teams. On the other hand, if parents keep signing kids up for GDA then nothing will change.
                              Let's hope the rules change - early recruiting is a scourge.

None of this is surprising - everyone said the player pool would be too diluted and there were clubs in the system that shouldn't be. The challenge facing USSF is many families won't risk "waiting it out" for GDA to slowly build. The recruiting window is tight and families have a strong 2nd option in ECNL. USSF also assumed the change to them would be fast and swift like it was with BDA. But BDA didn't have ECNL to compete with and had much more appeal with MLS club competition and free tuition at those clubs. With no real pro path and no real interest in a pro path, GDA is just another expensive pay to play league with less to differentiate itself

Comment

Let's hope the rules change - early recruiting is a scourge.

None of this is surprising - everyone said the player pool would be too diluted and there were clubs in the system that shouldn't be. The challenge facing USSF is many families won't risk "waiting it out" for GDA to slowly build. The recruiting window is tight and families have a strong 2nd option in ECNL. USSF also assumed the change to them would be fast and swift like it was with BDA. But BDA didn't have ECNL to compete with and had much more appeal with MLS club competition and free tuition at those clubs. With no real pro path and no real interest in a pro path, GDA is just another expensive pay to play league with less to differentiate itself
                                There are enough players for both leagues. Both are watered down obviously but this is business. If they both have the customers, they stay in business. Just an unfortunate situation for most strong players wanting to play in this type of league because of the dilution.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X