Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is too true. Your kid has a better chance of making the NPL team if coming in from an outside club, than from one of the Seacoast satellites if the coach doesn't see her as one of the top players on the current team. Go to a different club for a year, then next spring, call Seacoast and say your player is interested in joining the NPL team and ask to attend a practice session. If your kid is the type who will excel when playing with much better players, she'll look great and will have a much better chance of getting a spot on the team than in her current situation. Too bad you have to go to these lengths to get a fair shot....
    Who's got time for that?

Why don't you attend an NPL practice or tryout now? I know of kids from satellite teams who started practicing now. I saw first hand a tryout that was NEP and NPL, with existing players, new players, and satellite players. From what I have seen, coaches got it right.

Curious...what benefit does any Club have by leaving someone deserving off the team? Why would anyone do that?

Comment

Who's got time for that?

Why don't you attend an NPL practice or tryout now? I know of kids from satellite teams who started practicing now. I saw first hand a tryout that was NEP and NPL, with existing players, new players, and satellite players. From what I have seen, coaches got it right.

Curious...what benefit does any Club have by leaving someone deserving off the team? Why would anyone do that?
      They'll always take a player from outside the club over a player at a similar level from inside the club. The team quality would be the same no matter which player they chose, but the player from outside of the club provides yet another check. Seen this happen before.

Comment

They'll always take a player from outside the club over a player at a similar level from inside the club. The team quality would be the same no matter which player they chose, but the player from outside of the club provides yet another check. Seen this happen before.
        Good point, assuming we are talking about equal players. I'm betting that isn't the case here, though. If someone is better, they will play. I can't say I always agreed with where my kid was, but I honestly cannot look at a player above mine and say "mine was better". Equal? Probably. But not better.

Comment

This is too true. Your kid has a better chance of making the NPL team if coming in from an outside club, than from one of the Seacoast satellites if the coach doesn't see her as one of the top players on the current team. Go to a different club for a year, then next spring, call Seacoast and say your player is interested in joining the NPL team and ask to attend a practice session. If your kid is the type who will excel when playing with much better players, she'll look great and will have a much better chance of getting a spot on the team than in her current situation. Too bad you have to go to these lengths to get a fair shot....
          It's sad. Started at a satellite team when she was younger, thinking we'd get a similar experience as we would in the main location. Now feel like these couple of chosen ones will go NPL while a few others who aren't better but are very close in ability won't. Leading up to tryouts, it's become obvious who those couple of girls are.

Comment

It's sad. Started at a satellite team when she was younger, thinking we'd get a similar experience as we would in the main location. Now feel like these couple of chosen ones will go NPL while a few others who aren't better but are very close in ability won't. Leading up to tryouts, it's become obvious who those couple of girls are.
            Lookat GPS NH they have NPL at 2004 and above. IF she's younger those teams at younger age groups can move to NPL.

Comment

I think you have your answer.

Comment

I think you have your answer.
                So my D, who is equally good but maybe not better, doesn't deserve a chance because I'm not a loud mouth demanding that my kid plays up all the time?

Comment

So my D, who is equally good but maybe not better, doesn't deserve a chance because I'm not a loud mouth demanding that my kid plays up all the time?
                  As you know, this is reality in life. Assuming what you are saying is true (we have no way of knowing if there are other factors involved), this is a life lesson.

Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the oil... Sometimes coaches see players a certain way and it's difficult to change that... Sometimes for whatever reason, a coach might just have a better vibe with a certain kid... maybe they see more potential.... maybe they see something at practice with your kid that you are missing - lack of effort, not trying hard enough, etc.... You may want to try to talk with the coach(es)... but be prepared for the answer or for the coach to hold it against you because they may. It does help sometimes to put it in the perspective of life or your job where maybe someone just gets the better assignments or whatever. We're all human. I would hope that coaches had enough respect not to be too obnoxious with this type of situation, but some of it is normal.

Comment

Well, if you are going to move the goal posts then the answers may change.

You stated:
                    a few others who aren't better but are very close in ability won't.
                    So, no you are saying equally good. Which is it?

Who determines they are equally good? You? What qualifies you to make that judgement? The reality is we all see our kids in a better (even slightly) light than we do everyone else. I feel I'm as close to being able to see it "real" as anyone, and even I'll admit it. My kid makes a mistake, and I know what she's trying to do and it's a good effort. Another kid makes the same mistake and to me, it's a mistake. Hard not to feel that way.

So, in YOUR (?) eyes she's close, but not quite, maybe is, almost, equal and not getting a chance. When you asked the coach, what did they say? Are you going to sign up for NPL tryouts no matter what?

Trust me, blowhard parents who are in the coach's ear and yelling from the sidelines are a curse. Rare is the coach who wants to deal with that. So, you think it's a helping the kid, but I'd put a lot of money down that it's the opposite.

Comment

One more item to add, not sure of the age of your daughter, is I know of coaches who will put kids on teams that aren't the top team, but due to various factors (mental maturity, physical maturity, skillsets, etc.) don't fit for now. They need "more seasoning" to learn how to play at a higher level. Doesn't mean that's how they are going to view them forever, but for now, it's best for their development.

People get too hung up on "NPL", "Elite", and other ambiguous designations. If your kid isn't a top 3 player on a team, and not the worst players either, then they are on the right team.

Comment

Well, if you are going to move the goal posts then the answers may change.

You stated:

So, no you are saying equally good. Which is it?

Who determines they are equally good? You? What qualifies you to make that judgement? The reality is we all see our kids in a better (even slightly) light than we do everyone else. I feel I'm as close to being able to see it "real" as anyone, and even I'll admit it. My kid makes a mistake, and I know what she's trying to do and it's a good effort. Another kid makes the same mistake and to me, it's a mistake. Hard not to feel that way.

So, in YOUR (?) eyes she's close, but not quite, maybe is, almost, equal and not getting a chance. When you asked the coach, what did they say? Are you going to sign up for NPL tryouts no matter what?

Trust me, blowhard parents who are in the coach's ear and yelling from the sidelines are a curse. Rare is the coach who wants to deal with that. So, you think it's a helping the kid, but I'd put a lot of money down that it's the opposite.
                        I have not changed my tune. I said that she is *as good*, although not better, than these girls who get all the accolades. You're right, though, that I might just be fooling myself. This thread made me do a lot of hard thinking last night.

The fact is that she wants to play on the NPL team. When I look at the girls who will most likely go there, the ones she's played with for several seasons, I don't see them as any better. But I'm not the coaches. Maybe they see something else or more potential. I do know there are things she could improve on, as with all players, so we will work on that. Maybe she'll get her chance someday or maybe not.

No idea if we will go to NPL tryouts, if they're open to all or only the girls the coach wants to send.

Comment

I have not changed my tune. I said that she is *as good*, although not better, than these girls who get all the accolades. You're right, though, that I might just be fooling myself. This thread made me do a lot of hard thinking last night.

The fact is that she wants to play on the NPL team. When I look at the girls who will most likely go there, the ones she's played with for several seasons, I don't see them as any better. But I'm not the coaches. Maybe they see something else or more potential. I do know there are things she could improve on, as with all players, so we will work on that. Maybe she'll get her chance someday or maybe not.

No idea if we will go to NPL tryouts, if they're open to all or only the girls the coach wants to send.
                          How old? If not this year, there are other years. But, what happened when you did talk to the coach? There is a way to approach it without being the squeaky wheel. Any coach should be open to discuss your daughter if you ask them where to improve to meet her goals. If you go in saying "Cindy gets a chance and we don't" it won't come off well.

"Better" is really hard to get a handle on, especially at younger ages as things are so disparate and physical changes have an affect as well.

Comment

How old? If not this year, there are other years. But, what happened when you did talk to the coach? There is a way to approach it without being the squeaky wheel. Any coach should be open to discuss your daughter if you ask them where to improve to meet her goals. If you go in saying "Cindy gets a chance and we don't" it won't come off well.

"Better" is really hard to get a handle on, especially at younger ages as things are so disparate and physical changes have an affect as well.
                            I would rather not say the age as I don't know who is reading but you are correct in that there will be other chances.

We spoke to the coach from a development standpoint, areas that she could improve. No other players came up in our discussion. His feedback was mostly that she's a very good player but needs to work on XYZ to get to the next level. She has been working on those things. One of those areas remains a challenge.

Comment

I would rather not say the age as I don't know who is reading but you are correct in that there will be other chances.

We spoke to the coach from a development standpoint, areas that she could improve. No other players came up in our discussion. His feedback was mostly that she's a very good player but needs to work on XYZ to get to the next level. She has been working on those things. One of those areas remains a challenge.
                              OK got it, and totally agree with keeping it vague.

It seems, and I say only that it seems, like he appreciates where she's at, but maybe not quite there yet. I don't get how the tryouts go, but I seem to recall seeing many levels of players at a tryout and they picked all the teams out of there.

If you are below U13, I will say it's a massive change. Great kids on a 9v9 pitch are not the same once you get onto a full-field. Some hit puberty early and are dominant, then the rest catch up and they aren't. Some are late to hit it, and blossom later. I know superstars at U9 & U10 who aren't even playing any longer.

None of that eases your concerns about the favoritism. That will always be there, sadly, and not isolated to youth soccer.

Comment

I will weigh in as a former coach with a daughter about to leave the scene and head to college next year.

I always wanted kids who wanted to be there, and showed it. Ability is what is mentioned, but often that initially is out of the kids control. What is in their control is effort and attitude. Show me effort, show me a great attitude. Show up all the time, on time, listen during drills, don't goof off, and work on what I asked of you: you will play. This should be for fun, remember.

Don't do all those things, you won't. Sorry, I was a volunteer and really didn't have the time or desire to snap my fingers to get your attention. I'll just turn my head towards those that are listening.

I get people have lives and played other sports. I was an advocate, too. As someone mentioned...it was about expectations. Did I tell you what I expected, and did you follow it? If you could not make a practice or game, did you let me know? Nothing drove me crazier on the sidelines was seeing half the team warming up, a quarter joking off, another few waltzing over, and some more just MIA. I'd have drills set expecting 15 players, and we'd have 10. 5 didn't bother to tell me, so I'd have to change the entire structure. Guess who got shorted minutes that week? Yep, those 5.

I'll point you down the road, but only you can choose to follow it.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X