Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap shot or not?

CFC 2002 Boys surprisingly had GPS Boys (2nd in country) on the ropes - leading 2-0 in 2nd half.

10 seconds in the CFC goalie comes out and slides to get ball.

The GPS player kicks him in the head - and knocks him out of game.

Watching film, i see the goalie slides - keeps head down and the GPS player decides to leap over him.

Now the leap wasnt' much of one and certainly hard contact should have been avoided.

I'll serve it up - is this a dirty play, just soccer get over it or somewhere in the middle?

The game ended 2-2 but I think easily could have ended 2-0.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    CFC 2002 Boys surprisingly had GPS Boys (2nd in country) on the ropes - leading 2-0 in 2nd half.

Watching film, i see the goalie slides - keeps head down and the GPS player decides to leap over him.

Now the leap wasnt' much of one and certainly hard contact should have been avoided.

I'll serve it up - is this a dirty play, just soccer get over it or somewhere in the middle?

Upset you tied? Too bad. #2 in the country based on Got Soccer? lol

Besides, too difficult to say for certain without seeing the footage

Comment

Does sound like sour grapes. But, by your description, I'd say it's just a play and nothing dirty.

Comment

Impossible for anyone to offer an informed opinion here without watching the play (and even then it's not comparable to the view a referee had and what they ruled or didn't, because maybe that view was better, maybe it wasn't, depending on whether video was available for others to judge).

Certainly the exception and not the rule, but there are dirty plays in soccer and there are dirty players in soccer.

Comment

Collisions with GK happen often enough with no foul involved

GK parent

Comment

Does sound like sour grapes. But, by your description, I'd say it's just a play and nothing dirty.
            I don't know why it's sour grapes but this site is like that I guess.

More interesting to me is who is reponsible for this hard collision - does and offensive player that decides to jump over goalie have any reponsibility to avoid kicking in the head.

I don't think he did it intentionally but more interesting is where is that line?

I have no player on either team.

Comment

More interesting to me is who is reponsible for this hard collision - does and offensive player that decides to jump over goalie have any reponsibility to avoid kicking in the head.

I don't think he did it intentionally but more interesting is where is that line?

How was he supposed to avoid him?

Comment

Is there a link to film?

Comment

The only way it could be a cheap shot is if the field player INTENTIONALLY kicked the GK. Cannot say just from the fact that there was a collision.

Comment

Film at eleven...?
                    Kick the keeper, kick the ref, kick your teammates...kick’em all to win
                    Sign the GPS player to a nat’l team spot: we don’t have enough players willing to do what it takes.

Comment

Sometimes collisions just happen

Comment

How was he supposed to avoid him?
                        Not kick his on his head on the jump would be a start.

Comment

The only way it could be a cheap shot is if the field player INTENTIONALLY kicked the GK. Cannot say just from the fact that there was a collision.
                          Intent may be difficult to determine.
                          Deliberate is the standard.

It is difficult to make a decision without seeing the event.

Comment

Not kick his on his head on the jump would be a start.
                            Question was did he need to jump over a sliding goalie. Wondering how he was supposed to avoid it? Don't say "go around" - impossible if both are going fast.

Comment

A goalkeeper going headfirst into a slide is risking contact. Would need to see video to call it something other than bad luck.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X