Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    You don't know how this works do you? The state is now on the hook for $10M and it simply doesn't matter what the developer puts up. Does the developer guarantee for this project to recoup those costs? Front Street is supposed to have about 100 business now and be totally redeveloped. They put in a movie theater and called it quits because everyone backed out. Even if all goes well, how does the state possibly recoup $10M on a very minor league soccer team drawing less than 1000 paying customers for a handful of games that are in and out of Dillon stadium without spending another nickel in the surrounding neighborhood? The city and state can not keep ******* money away on the state tax payers' dime )or Hartford taxpayers' dime either)! Both the city and state are basically broke! Why can't we try to decrease spending to help make ends meet?
    Stay focused on the subject. Front Street is an entirely different endeavor, involving multiple businesses and entities. Give it time.

This was part of a larger package. " basically broke" What exactly does that mean? What services have been cut off from you as a citizen, because they are " basically broke " ?

You seem to have a Crystal Ball, know who will come to the games, what they will do with their time, on and on. As a taxpayer , I support spending my tax dollars on endeavors like this one. And I encourage businesses to step up and partner with others for success. That is how communities are revitalized. This is how " quality of life is improved for citizens of the State.

Unless you have been sleeping under a tree, you surely realize that States compete with each other for business growth and employment opportunities. You may disagree , but the reality is that if their isn't a partnership of investment, and the will to make it happen, things go downhill rather quickly. We need to provide people more reasons to live in Connecticut. .

Other financing approved Friday to provide grants and loans to expanding businesses include:
    •$14 million for ASML US in Wilton, which manufactures optical lithography machines — part of a process used to make computer chips. The grant will help the the company expand and add at least 524 new jobs in the next seven years.
    •$4 million to Morgan Truck Body to establish a new manufacturing facility in Plainfield and create 120 new jobs.
    •$2.5 million for Okay Industries Inc. to expand manufacturing facilities in Berlin and New Britain and create 62 new jobs.
    •$2 million to Polamer Precision Inc. to expand its New Britain manufacturing facility, which is expected to create 200 new jobs within the next three years.
    •$1 million to help Viiv Healthcare Company relocate from Wallingford to Branford and add 20 jobs within the next five years.
    •$1 million for Global Atlantic Financial Company to support its relocation from Simsbury to Hartford and to create at least 59 new jobs in the next seven years.

The commission also approved $525,000 for the town of Waterford to demolish derelict docks and mooring blocks across the Thames River from the naval base in Groton to enhance submarine operations.

Comment

Stay focused on the subject. Front Street is an entirely different endeavor, involving multiple businesses and entities. Give it time.

This was part of a larger package. " basically broke" What exactly does that mean? What services have been cut off from you as a citizen, because they are " basically broke " ?

You seem to have a Crystal Ball, know who will come to the games, what they will do with their time, on and on. As a taxpayer , I support spending my tax dollars on endeavors like this one. And I encourage businesses to step up and partner with others for success. That is how communities are revitalized. This is how " quality of life is improved for citizens of the State.

Unless you have been sleeping under a tree, you surely realize that States compete with each other for business growth and employment opportunities. You may disagree , but the reality is that if their isn't a partnership of investment, and the will to make it happen, things go downhill rather quickly. We need to provide people more reasons to live in Connecticut. .

Other financing approved Friday to provide grants and loans to expanding businesses include:
      •$14 million for ASML US in Wilton, which manufactures optical lithography machines — part of a process used to make computer chips. The grant will help the the company expand and add at least 524 new jobs in the next seven years.
      •$4 million to Morgan Truck Body to establish a new manufacturing facility in Plainfield and create 120 new jobs.
      •$2.5 million for Okay Industries Inc. to expand manufacturing facilities in Berlin and New Britain and create 62 new jobs.
      •$2 million to Polamer Precision Inc. to expand its New Britain manufacturing facility, which is expected to create 200 new jobs within the next three years.
      •$1 million to help Viiv Healthcare Company relocate from Wallingford to Branford and add 20 jobs within the next five years.
      •$1 million for Global Atlantic Financial Company to support its relocation from Simsbury to Hartford and to create at least 59 new jobs in the next seven years.

The commission also approved $525,000 for the town of Waterford to demolish derelict docks and mooring blocks across the Thames River from the naval base in Groton to enhance submarine operations.
      Front street .... began 13 years ago when convention center was completed. How much more time do they need?

"Basically broke" means that they spend more money every year than they make. You can not do this for long.

Unless you live under a tree, CT can not compete. The cost of living is far too high here and the taxation rate on companies is cost prohibitive for them to do business here. Never lived outside of the northeast, have you? When companies are attracted here it is because of ridiculous corporate welfare packages in which they are coerced to come or stay by long term reduction or elimination of local taxes. They really don't live up to their end of the bargain for local economies because of this. The bottom line is that the amount of services that urban municipalities continue to provide far outweigh the amount of money their own revenues can cover. Bailouts at the state level then occur that are picked up by taxpayers everywhere.

As for your additional cash outlay bullet list, you specified that those were loans or grants. Which one matters. Grants are generally corporate welfare. I have no problem with low interest loans provided that they are backed with something reasonable. The numbers provided with each bullet are where it all always gets cute. Most of those expansions are manufacturing jobs. Read between the lines here ..... those are low paying. Most of the times, the numbers are way over inflated as to how many jobs really get created. After a year or two many still reduce their staffs to old numbers.

https://ctmirror.org/tag/first-five/

Sorry, lets let companies come and go on their own merits. Cities should too. Stop propping them up to keep spending money foolishly. Want a soccer team here, spend YOUR money to do it. If it was such a great investment, don't you think someone would have done it a long time ago? If they missed the boat, this is your big chance!

Comment

Front street .... began 13 years ago when convention center was completed. How much more time do they need?

"Basically broke" means that they spend more money every year than they make. You can not do this for long.

Unless you live under a tree, CT can not compete. The cost of living is far too high here and the taxation rate on companies is cost prohibitive for them to do business here. Never lived outside of the northeast, have you? When companies are attracted here it is because of ridiculous corporate welfare packages in which they are coerced to come or stay by long term reduction or elimination of local taxes. They really don't live up to their end of the bargain for local economies because of this. The bottom line is that the amount of services that urban municipalities continue to provide far outweigh the amount of money their own revenues can cover. Bailouts at the state level then occur that are picked up by taxpayers everywhere.

As for your additional cash outlay bullet list, you specified that those were loans or grants. Which one matters. Grants are generally corporate welfare. I have no problem with low interest loans provided that they are backed with something reasonable. The numbers provided with each bullet are where it all always gets cute. Most of those expansions are manufacturing jobs. Read between the lines here ..... those are low paying. Most of the times, the numbers are way over inflated as to how many jobs really get created. After a year or two many still reduce their staffs to old numbers.

https://ctmirror.org/tag/first-five/

Sorry, lets let companies come and go on their own merits. Cities should too. Stop propping them up to keep spending money foolishly. Want a soccer team here, spend YOUR money to do it. If it was such a great investment, don't you think someone would have done it a long time ago? If they missed the boat, this is your big chance!
        Is there some kind of time limit for improvement , expansion and innovation? How long has New York City been there? Take in account other American cities. Areas that you wouldn't want to live in 25 years ago now demand top dollar.

You keep forgetting about the assets possessed and the guarantee of increased revenue , whatever the level. The next Administration may have ideas and policies that will address some of the debt issues.

Always glass half empty. Always complaining. I actually find CT very affordable. The advantage in living in CT is that here are more people with money to spend, higher incomes to target when utilizing strategies to increase personal wealth.

" low paying" . Any job that a person is willing to take is a good job, and it is an honorable decision. A job is the best social welfare program ever invented. 65 % of the Residents of this state are NOT college graduates, but guess what, without them, they economy here would collapse. One of the keys to a vibrant nurturing economy and environment is opportunity across the board.

The recent announcement by Amazon for their HQ demonstrates the current environment. "On their own merits "has cities and states ready to roll out the red carpet for them. Deals and incentives, and why ? Because ti promises jobs, tax revenue, and the trickle down effect that allows those dollars to spread within the community.

It was thought about before . Trouble is the wrong people got involved. Years ago the CT Wolves seem to do okay. Interest in the sport has grown. Why do you think your kids now play for an alphabet league ? 20 years ago, if you told parents they would be spending upwards of $ 10,000 a year on little girls soccer, they would recommend a good therapist. Now ? Parents are at each others throats over which letters are better than the other.

Comment

Is there some kind of time limit for improvement , expansion and innovation? How long has New York City been there? Take in account other American cities. Areas that you wouldn't want to live in 25 years ago now demand top dollar.

You keep forgetting about the assets possessed and the guarantee of increased revenue , whatever the level. The next Administration may have ideas and policies that will address some of the debt issues.

Always glass half empty. Always complaining. I actually find CT very affordable. The advantage in living in CT is that here are more people with money to spend, higher incomes to target when utilizing strategies to increase personal wealth.

" low paying" . Any job that a person is willing to take is a good job, and it is an honorable decision. A job is the best social welfare program ever invented. 65 % of the Residents of this state are NOT college graduates, but guess what, without them, they economy here would collapse. One of the keys to a vibrant nurturing economy and environment is opportunity across the board.

The recent announcement by Amazon for their HQ demonstrates the current environment. "On their own merits "has cities and states ready to roll out the red carpet for them. Deals and incentives, and why ? Because ti promises jobs, tax revenue, and the trickle down effect that allows those dollars to spread within the community.

It was thought about before . Trouble is the wrong people got involved. Years ago the CT Wolves seem to do okay. Interest in the sport has grown. Why do you think your kids now play for an alphabet league ? 20 years ago, if you told parents they would be spending upwards of $ 10,000 a year on little girls soccer, they would recommend a good therapist. Now ? Parents are at each others throats over which letters are better than the other.
          Trickle Down theory? seriously? CT a great place to live? seriously? you need to get out some. Hartford is more like detroit than NYC and they keep digging to get themselves out of the ditch.

Comment

Trickle Down theory? seriously? CT a great place to live? seriously? you need to get out some. Hartford is more like detroit than NYC and they keep digging to get themselves out of the ditch.

So give me your theory on why cities and towns want Amazon? Why were people upset when GE moved, when Aetna threatened?
            It is a great place to live. No doubt about it. Detroit is coming back. NYC had many bad years , many areas are coming back.

" get out some " How old are you ?
            You appear to be pretty miserable, which is understood if you are involved in Youth soccer as a parent.

Comment

So give me your theory on why cities and towns want Amazon? Why were people upset when GE moved, when Aetna threatened?
              It is a great place to live. No doubt about it. Detroit is coming back. NYC had many bad years , many areas are coming back.

" get out some " How old are you ?
              You appear to be pretty miserable, which is understood if you are involved in Youth soccer as a parent.
              So, what you are saying is that ASML US, Morgan Truck Body, Okay Industries Inc., Polamer Precision Inc., Viiv Healthcare Company, and Global Atlantic Financial Company, who are literally scattered all over CT, are each as capable as HQ2 for revitalizing an entire region? Got it. You know why people are upset that companies like GE and Aetna are leaving CT? Because the companies can afford to and most people can't. Live in TX or the Southeast and watch how much more your money gets you than here. I am sick and tired of paying for Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport and I also dislike that the only way to coax large companies to do business here is to pay them off with money from my ever-growing tax bill ... property tax, income tax, gas taxes, sales tax and now tolls because they need even more????? Bulldoze those cities, disperse the citizens to this and other states and start from scratch. Is this Mrs. Malloy, Mrs. Bronin, Mrs. Ganim, Mr. Harp, or Mrs. O'Leary that I am speaking to?

Comment

So, what you are saying is that ASML US, Morgan Truck Body, Okay Industries Inc., Polamer Precision Inc., Viiv Healthcare Company, and Global Atlantic Financial Company, who are literally scattered all over CT, are each as capable as HQ2 for revitalizing an entire region? Got it. You know why people are upset that companies like GE and Aetna are leaving CT? Because the companies can afford to and most people can't. Live in TX or the Southeast and watch how much more your money gets you than here. I am sick and tired of paying for Hartford, New Haven, and Bridgeport and I also dislike that the only way to coax large companies to do business here is to pay them off with money from my ever-growing tax bill ... property tax, income tax, gas taxes, sales tax and now tolls because they need even more????? Bulldoze those cities, disperse the citizens to this and other states and start from scratch. Is this Mrs. Malloy, Mrs. Bronin, Mrs. Ganim, Mr. Harp, or Mrs. O'Leary that I am speaking to?
                You are actually speaking to a conservative , that despite your opinion has a firm grasp on reality .

I say that having a job is the best social welfare program. And jobs are important in all areas of this state.

You get what you pay for. Sure, live in Houston. How's the building codes down there? How about zoning laws? My money gets me everything I need here in CT. There's nothing down there that I desire. 2 hours from NYC and Boston. A few hours from skiing mountains , and less for beaches. And what will you earn down south ? Who needs that heat ?

If you can't afford to live here, that's your problem. There is so much opportunity here to make money , it is there for the taking. I wish I was 20 years younger. So much left to do, so much opportunity.

Comment

Not only are people fleeing the state, but those fleeing have the MONEY. Retirees, executives. I saw a stat that for every older person leaving the state needs 7 younger people (in their lower paying jobs just because they are so much younger and there are fewer good paying jobs here now) to replace the taxes the retirees take with them. Young families used to treck out to CT because it was cheaper than living in or near NYC. Now it isn't, so more are choosing to live closer to NY. NY instituted a free-tax for ten years if you start a new business in the state. Smart. That's how you keep growing your economy. Not adding tolls, cutting school budgets and raising taxes.

What's really pathetic is CT is supposed to be the insurance capital, yet one of the country's largest insurers (which has been in CT for decades) is leaving.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2240927]Not only are people fleeing the state, but those fleeing have the MONEY. Retirees, executives. I saw a stat that for every older person leaving the state needs 7 younger people (in their lower paying jobs just because they are so much younger and there are fewer good paying jobs here now) to replace the taxes the retirees take with them. Young families used to treck out to CT because it was cheaper than living in or near NYC. Now it isn't, so more are choosing to live closer to NY. NY instituted a free-tax for ten years if you start a new business in the state. Smart. That's how you keep growing your economy. Not adding tolls, cutting school budgets and raising taxes.

What's really pathetic is CT is supposed to be the insurance capital, yet one of the country's largest insurers (which has been in CT for decades) is leaving.[/QUOTE

Westchester County has highest average property tax in the country @ $17,000 per year. With the changes in the tax laws for deductions, guess where many of those, and other residents of New York and New Jersey ( also up there ) will be looking at ? Upstate New York is dead in the water economically.

“Lower pay in jobs “ Go ahead, head south, see what you will earn.Take Tennessee, no income tax , but sales taxes can approach nearly 10 %.
                    What Insurance company is leaving Hartford after decades? If you think it is Aetna you are wrong. CVS is keeping them there at least for now.

“ adding tolls” Really ? What will it cost you, the price of a coffee at Starbucks ? That’s a deal breaker ? “ “ cutting school budgets” What ? Wait, Do you really want to compare student spending with states in the south? Would you like to see where the educational systems rank compared to CT ? You would consider moving to states where a eachers because the pay is so low?

Comment

“ teachers need a second job because the pay is so low “

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X