lower income “diamonds”

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People see what they want to see to fit their opinions and view. It’s called confirmation bias. I driven the 10 year old minivan with 180,000 miles, and currently am in a used Suburban with 170,000 miles on it that cost us less than our minivan. I once did a car headcount in our lot of new luxury cars, and it was less than 50%. Majority were mini vans. This was when NPL and DA teams were practicing. On our team, there is mostly middle class families with a few outliers on either end. But that does not fit the “rich” club soccer player narratives that many insist on pushing.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      People see what they want to see to fit their opinions and view. It’s called confirmation bias. I driven the 10 year old minivan with 180,000 miles, and currently am in a used Suburban with 170,000 miles on it that cost us less than our minivan. I once did a car headcount in our lot of new luxury cars, and it was less than 50%. Majority were mini vans. This was when NPL and DA teams were practicing. On our team, there is mostly middle class families with a few outliers on either end. But that does not fit the “rich” club soccer player narratives that many insist on pushing.
      Agreed. People need to stereotype to mitigate their shortcomings.

Comment

If you have enough cash to have 2 cars and time and money to get your kid to and from an expensive regional/national league, you are not a lower class citizen or you are living far beyond your means like a fool. Perhaps you are far better off than you realize even though you don't live in Lowell.

Comment

If you have enough cash to have 2 cars and time and money to get your kid to and from an expensive regional/national league, you are not a lower class citizen or you are living far beyond your means like a fool. Perhaps you are far better off than you realize even though you don't live in Lowell.
          You are a fool. I never said I was lower class. I am not the same person you are referring to. But I was agreeing with them. I am dead nuts middle class, and we are indeed very blessed. But I do scoff at the notion when people refer to everyone in club soccer as “rich.” We make a lot of sacrifices for kids to play club sports, and we are happy to do it. But it is annoying when you get labeled something else because others have a stupid agenda to push.

Comment

The narrative is not that it is for rich kids - it is for middle class and rich kids. It excludes lower income families. There are a lot of lower income families and their kids are not playing organized sports out side of school.

This is not disputed or new and the world will not come to an end because of it. But it is a fact and has been the trend for many years as youth sports has become big business.

Comment

The narrative is not that it is for rich kids - it is for middle class and rich kids. It excludes lower income families. There are a lot of lower income families and their kids are not playing organized sports out side of school.

This is not disputed or new and the world will not come to an end because of it. But it is a fact and has been the trend for many years as youth sports has become big business.
              There are 3 scholarship players on my son's team. All 3 arrive to practice in much nicer cars than I drive. Maybe I am the fool.

Comment

There are 3 scholarship players on my son's team. All 3 arrive to practice in much nicer cars than I drive. Maybe I am the fool.
                Those 3 scholarship players are probably the top players on the team. They normally shop around freebies.

Comment

Those 3 scholarship players are probably the top players on the team. They normally shop around freebies.
                  Middle of the pack starters. Lower income.

Comment

Drive through some low income neighborhoods in town. There are more European imports parked there than in my suburban neighborhood.

Comment

Like u want to trade places. Anyway. Scholarships will never solve the problem with the stigma attached to them. Why do u know who qualified anyway?

Comment

Well said and in the same situation. My son will be playing Div. 1 this fall and we all sacrificed a lot to get him to where he is at. Every team has there 1-2 really "rich' families on it, but also as stated above. Enough with this only rich kids play on top teams. So far from the truth!
                        If either you or the previous poster couldn’t afford the club soccer fees would you still be in the same position? Are either of your kids good enough to sustain a position on that team without paying significantly into the club? Of course not that’s why it’s a pay to play system.

Comment

If either you or the previous poster couldn’t afford the club soccer fees would you still be in the same position? Are either of your kids good enough to sustain a position on that team without paying significantly into the club? Of course not that’s why it’s a pay to play system.
                          My son plays 80% of the minutes each season. You tell me.

Comment

My son plays 80% of the minutes each season. You tell me.
                            But do you pay the club their fee in full?

Comment

Drive through some low income neighborhoods in town. There are more European imports parked there than in my suburban neighborhood.
                              Need based scholarships are based on reported family income, not their rides. Whether or not they report all their income or not is another story

Comment

My kid, fortunately, ended up on the Revs for and that certainly helped as it was free, but still had to deal with travel to and from practices. When he was in club soccer prior to DAP I tried my hardest to get breaks here and there. I was successful on many occasions to get a 1/4 or 1/2 off because I had more than one child playing. All you have to do is ask. Not all suburban soccer players have rich parents....such a stupid comment.

It boils down to personal drive by the parent and player to take their soccer to another level.

Many clubs have scholarships for players. This is not a new concept.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X