Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NPL Expectations

Shifting from the ODP thread as it's getting littered up. Maybe keep the ODP thread for ODP questions.

For those who are part of NPL, what does that mean? What are your expectations, of your child, their teammates, the coach, and the club?

For that matter, are those different from NEP, ECNL, DA, town travel, rec, etc.?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Shifting from the ODP thread as it's getting littered up. Maybe keep the ODP thread for ODP questions.

For those who are part of NPL, what does that mean? What are your expectations, of your child, their teammates, the coach, and the club?

For that matter, are those different from NEP, ECNL, DA, town travel, rec, etc.?
    My expectations for NPL are a higher level of play than NEP divisions but lower than DA or ECNL. I think it's a good option for those kids who can't do DA or ECNL, especially on the girl's side where there is no GDA team in NH.

I would not expect an NPL player to go top D1 but would expect some college opportunities for a solid player, at a lower level.

Comment

How does division allocation, promotion and relegation happen between NPL/NEP/Championship/League 1?

Does anyone know how the various levels compart to NHSL Division 1/2/3

Comment

How does division allocation, promotion and relegation happen between NPL/NEP/Championship/League 1?

Does anyone know how the various levels compart to NHSL Division 1/2/3
        I can't answer the second question.

As to the first, there is no true promotion and relegation. Each year, the clubs request to NEP where they should be. Mostly, they get it right (emphasis on mostly). Clubs aren't doing anyone a service to put them in a league that is too high or too low.

Someone with Club authority may be able to give a window into the negotiating that takes place on how the final decisions are made.

Comment

NPL is a Greater

Commitment
          Travel
          Competition
          Expense
          Focus on soccer over other sports
          Soccer ability of teammates

Comment

NPL is a Greater

Commitment
            Travel
            Competition
            Expense
            Focus on soccer over other sports
            Soccer ability of teammates
            I'm aligned with your thinking here. I think the biggest thing from a player perspective is the commitment. If you are signing up for that level, and soaking your parents for those travel and club fees expenses, this should be your #1 priority.

Too often I see kids make a higher team on ability but they lack that commitment to the game. There are plenty of opportunities if you want to ski and play basketball and miss practices for sleepovers, etc. And, those opportunities will absolutely provide you with quality coaching and teams if you want it. But, if you want your kid to climb that letter, there should be a sit-down to see if they want to go all-in. Because, if they aren't, they are just taking a roster spot away and it affects the rest of the group who is committed.

Off my soap box now.

Comment

I'm aligned with your thinking here. I think the biggest thing from a player perspective is the commitment. If you are signing up for that level, and soaking your parents for those travel and club fees expenses, this should be your #1 priority.

Too often I see kids make a higher team on ability but they lack that commitment to the game. There are plenty of opportunities if you want to ski and play basketball and miss practices for sleepovers, etc. And, those opportunities will absolutely provide you with quality coaching and teams if you want it. But, if you want your kid to climb that letter, there should be a sit-down to see if they want to go all-in. Because, if they aren't, they are just taking a roster spot away and it affects the rest of the group who is committed.

Off my soap box now.
              Agreed, here. My kid is on a high level, high commitment team. Lots of kids were at try-outs and I knew a few players on my kid's team from last year were very disappointed not to have made it. A kid at about the same level, however, did make the team. In the fall, she missed quite a few practices and about a third of the games. Didn't show up at all over the winter, and hasn't shown up yet this spring, so I assume she's no longer on the team. It's a shame her parents weren't more considerate in realizing the family couldn't make the necessary commitment (there's no way they weren't aware), as another player could have been developing in that spot all fall and winter.

Comment

Off my soap box now.
                So a player at this level should not play any other sport? I understand during spring and fall but I think that's a little harsh during winter. I think a player who makes 90% of his or her soccer commitments during winter should be acceptable. If he or she is developing as an athlete by skiing or playing basketball, while still making the vast majority of soccer events, I don't have a problem.

In total agreement with the exteme though. No soccer all winter, etc. That should not be acceptable.

Comment

So a player at this level should not play any other sport? I understand during spring and fall but I think that's a little harsh during winter. I think a player who makes 90% of his or her soccer commitments during winter should be acceptable. If he or she is developing as an athlete by skiing or playing basketball, while still making the vast majority of soccer events, I don't have a problem.

In total agreement with the exteme though. No soccer all winter, etc. That should not be acceptable.
                  I think there's quality programs for those who want to miss time for other sports. If you want to do something on the side, and it's not the priority and you miss those activities and not soccer, then that's great.

But, when you commit to a higher-level team, you don't commit in fall and spring. You commit from fall THROUGH spring. So, ski, play hoops, swim, etc. on the side. Love it. But, IMO, you signed up for a high-level team and commitment, then it should be honored. Because, your competition is doing it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2229831]
                    But, when you commit to a higher-level team, you don't commit in fall and spring. You commit from fall THROUGH spring. /QUOTE]

Again, I'm not talking about skipping winter. I am saying that if a player makes 100% of games and practices in fall and spring and 90% during winter, I don't have a problem. You do, which is also a valid opinion. I think this illustrates the need to discuss expectations with the coach prior to committing.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2229851]
                      But, when you commit to a higher-level team, you don't commit in fall and spring. You commit from fall THROUGH spring. /QUOTE]

Again, I'm not talking about skipping winter. I am saying that if a player makes 100% of games and practices in fall and spring and 90% during winter, I don't have a problem. You do, which is also a valid opinion. I think this illustrates the need to discuss expectations with the coach prior to committing.
                      Agreed, this should be set ahead of time. We've had a coach who demanded 100% commitment, and even if he said something was mandatory, it wasn't followed.

Coincidentally, most of the minutes go to those who show.

Comment

ECNL and GDA cost $10,000-$15,000 a year with travel. The level of soccer is crazy high and players need to have it all - speed, technical skill, Soccer IQ. Season games can be in NY and PA and require overnight stays and showcases are in NC, SC, FL, CA, and AZ and require 4-5 day trip. It’s not for the faint of heart and only for those kids who strive high. It’s not something parents can push on their kid, they won’t survive. But for those that love it, it’s phenomenal and leads to college soccer and sometimes scholarships.

Comment

NPL players can and do go D1 often. Only the highest of NPL studs go to the top 25 D1 programs, but mid and lower D1 programs are littered with NPL players. Do they make up a majority of those rosters, of course not, but they are there. The difference is that you have to be an impact NPL player, and do extra leg-work to be looked at since NPL doesn’t get the showcase attention from the D1 programs that ECNL or DA does.

NPL is still high level, high commitment with more travel than NEP and lower. However, its a good option for those who would ride the bench, or don’t want the travel, cost and commitment of ECNL/DA. I know quite a few ECNL/DA quality players that choose to stay on NPL teams because they are either multi-sport athletes or their families just cannot handle the load at the higher level, or both.

Comment

NPL players can and do go D1 often. Only the highest of NPL studs go to the top 25 D1 programs, but mid and lower D1 programs are littered with NPL players. Do they make up a majority of those rosters, of course not, but they are there. The difference is that you have to be an impact NPL player, and do extra leg-work to be looked at since NPL doesn’t get the showcase attention from the D1 programs that ECNL or DA does.

NPL is still high level, high commitment with more travel than NEP and lower. However, its a good option for those who would ride the bench, or don’t want the travel, cost and commitment of ECNL/DA. I know quite a few ECNL/DA quality players that choose to stay on NPL teams because they are either multi-sport athletes or their families just cannot handle the load at the higher level, or both.
                            Multi sport athletes? Some would have you believe NPL players can only focus on soccer, stated previously in this thread. Do you not consider that to be the case?

Comment

Multi sport athletes? Some would have you believe NPL players can only focus on soccer, stated previously in this thread. Do you not consider that to be the case?
                              My opinion only, yes you can play other sports in your free time.

Your

Free

Time

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X