Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncoachable kids

Just came across this quote by an Alabama softball coach.

"Uncoachable kids become unemployable adults. Let your kids get use to someone being tough on them. It's life, get over it."

Agree or disagree and note whether you are a psrent or coach.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

"Uncoachable kids become unemployable adults. Let your kids get use to someone being tough on them. It's life, get over it."

Not a coach but I mostly agree. Parents definitely coddle their kids too much these days and there are too many participatory medals, etc. Then they get upset when their kid gets cut or doesn't get any PT and just move them around to something they think is better. Do that often enough - along with helping them through all their homework and write their SAT essays - and they won't function well in college. Helicopter their college experience then they won't adjust well to being a working adult.

However, I wouldn't say everyone needs to be written off - it just might take them longer to adjust to reality and be more painful in the process. It is also age dependent. With younger kids coaches need to be more encouraging because a kid might have great potential but simply is immature. They might blossom into something great given the right environment. Often kids get written off too early or sent down to B or C teams. But once you start getting well into middle school and certainly high school all bets are off. Life will forever be throwing you obstacles and disappointments. The sooner you learn how to deal with it the better.

Comment

Parent and I agree for the most part. Define tough....screaming at a kid because he/she made a mistake is not tough, it's abusive...pulling them off because they are not giving an effort or not listening, that is tough...

Comment

Coach and Parent here and agree somewhat. From my experience there are 2 types of "uncoachable" kids. Those who have parents that coddle and those who support reality. It's the child of the former who may not reach their potential later in life. The kids who's parents are honest with them become coachable real quick after the coach and parents are on the same page.

Comment

Coach here:
          I think there has to be some more context to the quote. Whats their definition to uncoachable?
          What age are we talking about? To say a 9-10 is uncoachable they will fail in life seems a stretch. Some players I've coached have been big pains in the a#s but have gone on to college some for soccer most not and graduated and have nice jobs. A lot comes from the player/coach relationship or personalities. Some of the best players don't listen to their coaches. So are those players who could be defined as uncoachable never going to work?

Comment

You are relying on advice from someone in ALABAMA? Hardly an educational or cultural hot spot. Do they know they lost the Civil War?

Comment

You are relying on advice from someone in ALABAMA? Hardly an educational or cultural hot spot. Do they know they lost the Civil War?
              They win in college football.

Too many kids on ADD and other asstd drugs

Comment

and where did you go school?

..there was no civil war. It was the war of norther aggression.. ;-)

Comment

and where did you go school?

..there was no civil war. It was the war of norther aggression.. ;-)
                  *northern...

and that was sarcasm...

Comment

They win in college football.
                    Unless they're playing against Ohio State. :D

Comment

First time I saw the quote it was attributed to Cael Sanderson.

Comment

*northern...

and that was sarcasm...
                        The civil war was actually about Federalism and its enumerated powers. Slavery was merely an ancillary issue. But the victors, not the losers, write the history.

Comment

The civil war was actually about Federalism and its enumerated powers. Slavery was merely an ancillary issue. But the victors, not the losers, write the history.
                          I guess it depends on who you are whether or not you consider it an ancillary issue.

Comment

I would classify Howard Zinn as a loser...

Comment

parent and coach

Someone mentioned ADD. I've witnessed too many gym teacher/football coach guys who write kids off because the kids can't stand in line and listen to lectures with military precision, when some kids are actually physically incapable of sitting still. What some kids need is to run around and channel their energy in a positive direction (ie, sports). Coaches are teachers, and kids learn in different ways. A really "good" coach can teach in the way that individual kids learn.

So while I agree with the general sentiments about too much coddling of the little superstars, I think often the blame should go the other way.

As a coach, I consider it my failure when I can't connect with a kid, and brandishing the kid as uncoachable is just a cop-out to shift blame for the failure. Admittedly, there are some kids I haven't been able to connect with, and my experience is that these kids are usually taking direction from another coach (their parent). At that point, I might give up, but only after giving it the old college try (I never want to give up on a kid because of his parent).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X