Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Birth Year starting fall 2016?

CT board says that this will happen for sure but next fall or fall 2017?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    CT board says that this will happen for sure but next fall or fall 2017?
    They've been yapping about it for quite awhile. I'll believe it when I see it. Think the logic is flawed to go away from school year from the standard league perspective . For college bound seniors (next years 97s, following years 98s) I would think those teams would be quite small considering you would only have about 5 1/2 months worth of of that year's senior class to select a team from.

Comment

They've been yapping about it for quite awhile. I'll believe it when I see it. Think the logic is flawed to go away from school year from the standard league perspective . For college bound seniors (next years 97s, following years 98s) I would think those teams would be quite small considering you would only have about 5 1/2 months worth of of that year's senior class to select a team from.
      I can't see colleges too keen on the idea either

Comment

I can't see colleges too keen on the idea either
        Conn has been clamoring for this change for years. They are one of the few states that have school year based on birth year. The overwhelming majority of states goes with Aug/Sept cutoff and thus in sync with most youth sport cutoffs.

Comment

Conn has been clamoring for this change for years. They are one of the few states that have school year based on birth year. The overwhelming majority of states goes with Aug/Sept cutoff and thus in sync with most youth sport cutoffs.
          Team manager said 2016

Comment

That might be true but it sounds like USSF is pushing this to get all teams aligned with DAP and youth national teams calendar year. USYS and USCS will fall in line also. It will happen, I would bet fall 2017.

Comment

Rest of soccer world goes by calendar year

Comment

That might be true but it sounds like USSF is pushing this to get all teams aligned with DAP and youth national teams calendar year. USYS and USCS will fall in line also. It will happen, I would bet fall 2017.
                Exactly - this isn't a CT thing but national. There's discussion about it on other boards as well. Nothing definitive yet but would possibly be in place for the fall of 2016 so teams would have to conduct tryouts in the spring of 2016 with that in mind. If it isn't enacted soon then they'd have to wait yet another year to implement.

As far as recruiting goes, college coaches go to see players not teams so they don't care if a player is U16 or U17. DAP has already been operating this way with few issues but they also play two ages on a team so that is different than other leagues. But coaches do care about the competitive level and need to see those players in competitive situations. If you are one of the oldest on a team and the rest isn't recruiting yet (or if you're one of the youngest and much of your team is done) that could be problematic.

Comment

Some clubs/teams do as well already (DAP has been and NYCSL in NPL does - all teams listed by 00, 01, 02 etc.). But then when they go to a tournament that uses an 8/1 cutoff they're forced to play up an age group because they'll have some ineligible players. For clubs participating in multi-state leagues and tourney it makes sense for all to be on the same system. I'm not sure you need it at the local level - kids want to play with classmates from their town.

If it happens expect plenty of parental backlash from a small group. The kids will be fine

Comment

Sure, but 99.9% of US players play for rec or getting to college purposes, not for NT purposes.

I'd expect big changes for team dynamics at first where the current younger players will be the older ones and the current older ones being the youngest.

Re: the earlier question on the oldest ages (97 next year) I guess there would be quite a bit of consolidation to take place since the numbers will be quite small?

Comment

Separation by birth year is the most appropriate and fair I think. The rest of the football world works like this and does fine, so why can't we?

Comment

Separation by birth year is the most appropriate and fair I think. The rest of the football world works like this and does fine, so why can't we?
                        Yeah, this isn't just a national issue, it's a global one. USA is in a weird place because it's maybe the only country whose schools are closely associated with their sports. U.S. Soccer can handle this change, because every other nation has proven it's doable. Also, ice hockey has proven it's doable, even w 2-year age groups and a prominent school-based competition as well as independent pre-professional competition. If hockey coaches, players, etc can handle all the associated issues, so can soccer.

Comment

Yeah, this isn't just a national issue, it's a global one. USA is in a weird place because it's maybe the only country whose schools are closely associated with their sports. U.S. Soccer can handle this change, because every other nation has proven it's doable. Also, ice hockey has proven it's doable, even w 2-year age groups and a prominent school-based competition as well as independent pre-professional competition. If hockey coaches, players, etc can handle all the associated issues, so can soccer.
                          Everyone can handle except I think parents. College coaches and recruit candidates will figure it out. Kids who are impacted will be fine...much ado about nothing. Let's get it done and move on. Who needs another year of speculation?!

Comment

Well America IS kind of stubborn with change. We probably should start using the metric system but we still insist on using the dumb imperial system.

And we've JUST allowed gay marriage like a couple weeks ago.

Comment

Birth year starting fall 2016?

Got that right

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X