Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    We are with GPS girls - are your referring to A/B movement within a GPS region at the Elite level or movement between Elite and NPL? We saw two very different models.

Elite exposure to NPL was great. Deserving girls from regions were given open invites to practice, select game invites, and tourney and camp inclusion. This was clearly in preparation for U13 move to 11v, and offers were extended to add players to NPL for U13. Don't know if any were relegated.

Movement within Region was painful. There were two tiered elite teams playing different NEP brackets with names distinguished by color. The top of "B" was clearly better than bottom of "A". This was frustrating, but it should be noted that the girls who developed most were the those that built confidence and leadership in Top of B, not the ones who lost confidence at bottom of A (2 are now leaving club soccer)

My opinion is the problem lies with the parents and not the clubs. Clubs would prefer a fluid environment in which to develop girls by balancing challenging conditions with confidence building opportunities. The parents demand offers/contracts specifying that D is on the Rosy Red or Wicked White team. Parents want the status, and mistakenly think their D will only develop on A team.

Parent Meetings are coming up. Make it a point to publicly ask about this issue. Be sure to frame it as a player development issue and equal opportunity issue. Everyone deserves to have game experience that balances confidence with challenge. After the heads all nod... Specifically ask if A/B interchange is possible or if they have bound themselves with contractual commitments. Get a Y or a N, and then re-state it. So we should expect...
    Thank you for the honest and detailed response.

I was talking about Select (B) to Elite (A). Noone from either team in our area made the U12 NPL team.

Not confident in the parent meeting. We never had one last year. The DOC and our coach is aware of my thoughts/concerns. Honestly, I'm not sure the DOC is taking our team seriously. The Elite team has overage on numbers and the Select team is still short. We were also short last season and had to play 8 or man down. Perhaps it's just our region.

I decided to give it one more year bc my son is developing and we love the coaching. However, it's frustrating to him to put the work in and see bottom A players get a free pass.

Comment

It is a game that the clubs play. The larger clubs (boys or girls) like GPS, NEFC, Stars, Bolts etc, have their very top team which for the first three (boys) is the NPL and for the Bolts is the DAP. After that each club has regions of players, within each there is an A (elite) and a B (select) team. The Bolts have the DAP, then an NPL team followed by regional NEP teams. Even Valeo, at the younger ages have multiple tiered teams (EDP followed by MAPLE). For younger ages (U12 and younger) parents should look for playtime, ball-time, a great coach, and less travel. These kids are still developing.

However, for the older kids (U15 and older) the clubs are clearly taking advantage of the parents, especially those who are hoping that their kid will move up. At these ages, those kids that are still on the B teams will unlikely make any kind of splash on an A team. If you are happy with that notion then great. If you are really waiting for promotion of your child, then reconsider the clubs.

For the ages U13 and U14.......start thinking about where your player should be and what club your kid really should be with.

Players need to play whether it be on the A or B team. Sitting on the bench is not helping develop your child. I would prefer to have my younger child play on the B team and be rostered with the A team than sit on the Bench with the A team.
      Thanks for the response. I agree that U12 is about development which is why we chose to stay. He gets 90-100% play time, is developing, and we really like the coach.

I'm less concerned with A vs B as I am with the overall skill level on his team. He played on a strong DSP team over the Summer and what he was able to do with those kids vs what he can do on his team was/is completely different.

We'll give it the year and see how it goes.

Comment

Thank you for the honest and detailed response.

I was talking about Select (B) to Elite (A). Noone from either team in our area made the U12 NPL team.

Not confident in the parent meeting. We never had one last year. The DOC and our coach is aware of my thoughts/concerns. Honestly, I'm not sure the DOC is taking our team seriously. The Elite team has overage on numbers and the Select team is still short. We were also short last season and had to play 8 or man down. Perhaps it's just our region.

I decided to give it one more year bc my son is developing and we love the coaching. However, it's frustrating to him to put the work in and see bottom A players get a free pass.
        "son is developing and we love the coach" - is there really a problem?
        "The Elite team has overage" - see the post on parent contracts.
        Next year is move to 11 v 11 which should create space on Elite. If he is overlooked again, time to move on. If he makes it, he will have earned it.

Comment

Originally posted by Yablu View Post
          "son is developing and we love the coach" - is there really a problem?
          "The Elite team has overage" - see the post on parent contracts.
          Next year is move to 11 v 11 which should create space on Elite. If he is overlooked again, time to move on. If he makes it, he will have earned it.
          Thanks. I don't see a post on parent contracts....

Comment

It is a game that the clubs play. The larger clubs (boys or girls) like GPS, NEFC, Stars, Bolts etc, have their very top team which for the first three (boys) is the NPL and for the Bolts is the DAP. After that each club has regions of players, within each there is an A (elite) and a B (select) team. The Bolts have the DAP, then an NPL team followed by regional NEP teams. Even Valeo, at the younger ages have multiple tiered teams (EDP followed by MAPLE). For younger ages (U12 and younger) parents should look for playtime, ball-time, a great coach, and less travel. These kids are still developing.

However, for the older kids (U15 and older) the clubs are clearly taking advantage of the parents, especially those who are hoping that their kid will move up. At these ages, those kids that are still on the B teams will unlikely make any kind of splash on an A team. If you are happy with that notion then great. If you are really waiting for promotion of your child, then reconsider the clubs.

For the ages U13 and U14.......start thinking about where your player should be and what club your kid really should be with.

Players need to play whether it be on the A or B team. Sitting on the bench is not helping develop your child. I would prefer to have my younger child play on the B team and be rostered with the A team than sit on the Bench with the A team.
            Honestly, some of you folks need to start by really asking yourself what you are doing club soccer for in the first place and think through where you are heading with it before you go much further. Do some objective research into what club soccer is like at the older ages. Think you will learn that 70% of your kids will quit before the U15 year and for those who stick around it is a very expensive grind. Is that what you really want for them or is it really about your bragging rights? Can sincerely tell you though that if your child is down on some B or C team at age 12 that there is not likely going to be some tangible payoff like a scholarship waiting for them at the end of it all so learning and camaraderie may be all there is to get. Don't be in such a rush to push the envelope.

Comment

3 Reasons I PAY for D to play club soccer
              1. So she never defines herself by her boyfriend's jacket
              Confidence and Camaraderie
              Health & Fitness

2. The Space Between....
              Family moments and fun times
              1:1 time in car rides, Panera, etc.

3. Goals and Ambition
              I'm all for little girls with big dreams
              OUR goal is for her to play in HS (see #1)
              Anything after that will be HER goal.

Comment

Health & Fitness

2. The Space Between....

3. Goals and Ambition

Similar to our reasons.

I'd also add that our family are big sports lovers and love the game of soccer in general. We all watch Premier League, MLS, Champions League, and National Teams, etc. I have never felt like our weekends or vacations were lost due to our kids sports. We thoroughly enjoy the ride and we've never ever been in it for scholarships. That will just be the icing on the cake if and when that ever happens.

Comment

Health & Fitness

2. The Space Between....

3. Goals and Ambition
                  Just pointing out that you can accomplish all of this on a town team as well. None of these goals justify fretting over whether or not your child is on an A or B team.

Comment

Just pointing out that you can accomplish all of this on a town team as well. None of these goals justify fretting over whether or not your child is on an A or B team.
                    What's wrong with kids wanting to play at a higher level and working hard for it?

My and my sons frustration come from his hard work and learning that the A team is 1/2 kids who deserve to be there and 1/2 who are there because 1. They threatened to quit 2. They are there because a good player is a friend or sibling etc. etc.

Our B coach told us this was the case and there was nothing he could do about it.

My son plays club because 1. He asked to 2. He LOVES playing and LOVES the game 3. He wants to play at a higher level than we have in our town program. And yes, he is on the town A team.

Making the A team at club is his goal, not ours. Sure you can improve simply by playing and having a good coach. However, you also improve by playing with players better than you.

Also, we learned rather quickly that B teams are treated unequally. At least at our club/region.

Comment

What's wrong with kids wanting to play at a higher level and working hard for it?

My and my sons frustration come from his hard work and learning that the A team is 1/2 kids who deserve to be there and 1/2 who are there because 1. They threatened to quit 2. They are there because a good player is a friend or sibling etc. etc.

Our B coach told us this was the case and there was nothing he could do about it.

My son plays club because 1. He asked to 2. He LOVES playing and LOVES the game 3. He wants to play at a higher level than we have in our town program. And yes, he is on the town A team.

Making the A team at club is his goal, not ours. Sure you can improve simply by playing and having a good coach. However, you also improve by playing with players better than you.

Also, we learned rather quickly that B teams are treated unequally. At least at our club/region.
                      I don't think anyone is suggesting that your son stop playing soccer but as someone pointed out earlier you probably should stop and figure out how much you are willing to pay both in terms of sweat and money to satisfy your son's soccer ambitions because it reads that your angst over the A/B situation is pushing you to search out more aggressive situations and that is typically how most parents get really sucked into the club soccer rat race. Those of us who have been down that path will tell you it will end up costing you somewhere between $50,000-$100,000 (maybe more by the time your 12 yo reaches high school) and if your son is already on the A/B bubble you probably should realize that the chances are not great that he will parlay soccer into a soccer scholarship to offset that expense. If that sort of spending fits your family budget then by all means go ahead chasing the dream, just know that it is not the only way for your son to satisfy their love for soccer.

Comment

I don't think anyone is suggesting that your son stop playing soccer but as someone pointed out earlier you probably should stop and figure out how much you are willing to pay both in terms of sweat and money to satisfy your son's soccer ambitions because it reads that your angst over the A/B situation is pushing you to search out more aggressive situations and that is typically how most parents get really sucked into the club soccer rat race. Those of us who have been down that path will tell you it will end up costing you somewhere between $50,000-$100,000 (maybe more by the time your 12 yo reaches high school) and if your son is already on the A/B bubble you probably should realize that the chances are not great that he will parlay soccer into a soccer scholarship to offset that expense. If that sort of spending fits your family budget then by all means go ahead chasing the dream, just know that it is not the only way for your son to satisfy their love for soccer.
                        Thanks for the response. Def not looking for a scholarship. And yes, I get there is a huge expense.

Just trying to do right by my kid who is working hard and wants to get as good as he can possibly get.

I get that club soccer is a business. I just have a hard time staying with a club who says one thing and does something completely different. Naive? Maybe.

Comment

$50-100k ?....really...can I assume this is a cost just for the elite player who has to travel a lot ? I ask only because as a U11 club player, fees for my son are under $2k per year and they dont get over $2.5k at any age group. It includes everything from practice fees for 2 practices per week August through June, 3-4 seasons of soccer/futsal, and at least 3 tourneys plus a backpack thrown in for the player. Only thing we pay additional for is uniform when he outgrows the old one. Now again, he isn't going to be a D1 player or NT player, but he loves to play and wanted more than just town soccer, which I am a big fan of and he gets to play with his friends. So I guess my assumption with club soccer is that you can find something depending on what your sons goals are and what you can afford. I am sure I would have a tough time affording everything if he was a top player on a high level team at the numbers you mentioned and he was trying to win a scholarship at a good school. but like other parents I am sure I would do everything I could to support him and his dreams.

Comment

$50-100k ?....really...can I assume this is a cost just for the elite player who has to travel a lot ? I ask only because as a U11 club player, fees for my son are under $2k per year and they dont get over $2.5k at any age group. It includes everything from practice fees for 2 practices per week August through June, 3-4 seasons of soccer/futsal, and at least 3 tourneys plus a backpack thrown in for the player. Only thing we pay additional for is uniform when he outgrows the old one. Now again, he isn't going to be a D1 player or NT player, but he loves to play and wanted more than just town soccer, which I am a big fan of and he gets to play with his friends. So I guess my assumption with club soccer is that you can find something depending on what your sons goals are and what you can afford. I am sure I would have a tough time affording everything if he was a top player on a high level team at the numbers you mentioned and he was trying to win a scholarship at a good school. but like other parents I am sure I would do everything I could to support him and his dreams.
                            So you never have hotel cost or tournament fee's, how about all the gas you use. Let's say you go in for $4k per year, kid plays for 10 years, guess what....The $50k is not that out of this world. My son does two to three long travel tournaments and a week long soccer camp, so I am closer to $7/8k per year, so $80k over 10 years.

Comment

So you never have hotel cost or tournament fee's, how about all the gas you use. Let's say you go in for $4k per year, kid plays for 10 years, guess what....The $50k is not that out of this world. My son does two to three long travel tournaments and a week long soccer camp, so I am closer to $7/8k per year, so $80k over 10 years.
                              Bingo, nuts like the poster above assume that the top tier player are the only one's forking over big money for all of this when the average Joe's are probably doing $2k at this point without even buying uniforms.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X