Talking-Soccer.com

Go Back   Talking-Soccer.com > Soccer By Region / State > Region 1 > Massachusetts

Notices

Massachusetts Discussions about Massachusetts soccer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 02-11-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Another myth. The academic support system at your typical D1 does all of the same things but also add tutoring and other similar educational benefits that far exceed what is even dreamed of at the D3 level. It can be like your kid having their own personal TA.
Um, I think that is exactly what they said? Some science based lab classes are tough to do in the fall no matter what. It's time not necessarily academic support
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 02-11-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I didn't read through all of the drivel, but it doesn't seem like many of the responses addressed OP's question.

Yes, you can know if a NESCAC is interested early junior year, but from our experience I don't think coaches will make any kind of decision without SAT scores and mid-year junior grades at the earliest. One coach told my daughter that they couldn't run anyone past admissions until after July 1 before senior year (maybe they just weren't that interested.) In the end my daughter knew in February of junior year that a different NESCAC coach was committed to her (the coaches words) and confident that she would get admissions approval (which she did in July), however of her teammates who were looking at NESCAC schools she was definitely the earliest.

(Yes, we took a chance, but we trusted that the coach knew what admissions was looking for.)

Good luck
If you want to get a NESCAC coach to give you a verbal offer prior to July 1st you will need to have a good test score on record, even if the school is test optional. So if that is your goal prepare and plan accordingly.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 02-11-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
A classic Liberal arts education is a dead end. Go look at schools with serious investments in their undergraduate engineering or business schools.
Not all kids are interested in engineering or business so your point is pretty self serving.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 02-11-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not all kids are interested in engineering or business so your point is pretty self serving.
Your point is taken. Not everyone's kid wants to go to a super small college located in the butt end of nowhere to study liberal arts.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 02-11-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you want to get a NESCAC coach to give you a verbal offer prior to July 1st you will need to have a good test score on record, even if the school is test optional. So if that is your goal prepare and plan accordingly.
Please stop with the misinformation! A verbal offer of what? A tip is not a guarantee offer of admission like a scholarship offer is at D1. A D3 coach has nothing really to "offer". What they are actually doing is begging your kid to come to their school and they have nothing to trade.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-11-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There is no such thing as D3 recruiting. It's really a myth built by jealous parents who want the prestige of saying their children are college bound athletes but haven't dealt with the realities of what true "recruiting" is. If the goal is parlaying soccer into an education, the Ivies are a far better option for the properly credentialed prospect (meaning sufficient soccer/grades). Even though the Ivies don't give scholarships, they do give preferential treatment to athletic recruits during the admissions process and coaches literally do go out solicit student/athletes to fill their "admit slots". That's not the same thing as what happens at the D3 level. Perhaps if more parents understood the differences you wouldn't have the fake NLI signings.
What happens at the D3 level, happens after the D1 battle has taken place. By about a year.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-11-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Confused on nescac recruiting timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not all kids are interested in engineering or business so your point is pretty self serving.

I wonder how much on here is said by parents for NESCAC athletes that have graduated. Most of the NESCACs, if not all, have pipelines into Wall Street through alumni connections. Players from 10-30 years out regularly provide opportunities for young teammates. I've seen it on my son's team through summer internships after freshman year. Folks spew so much on here without having much personal knowledge. Just lashing out at D3 NESCAC families because that is not the path their child is planning to take for whatever reason. The most popular majors at most NESCACs, including Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin and Wesleyan, is usually economics. Some NESCACs have engineering programs through affiliations with Tufts having its own, so if you want to go into engineering you have to focus closer on the NESCAC program. Btw, the Ivies offer a liberal arts education as well. Anyone know anything about the open curriculum at Brown?
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-11-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Please stop with the misinformation! A verbal offer of what? A tip is not a guarantee offer of admission like a scholarship offer is at D1. A D3 coach has nothing really to "offer". What they are actually doing is begging your kid to come to their school and they have nothing to trade.
Dp they not pull kids with different strengths out or the pile? accomplished musicians, scientists, artists, athletes, student leaders, journalists.....having some standout credentials to compliment the scores and transcripts is needed for offer of admission. Man kids are not fortunate enough to be spawn of heavy weight alumni donors and have to get in on their own merits.
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-11-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
There is no such thing as D3 recruiting. It's really a myth built by jealous parents who want the prestige of saying their children are college bound athletes but haven't dealt with the realities of what true "recruiting" is. If the goal is parlaying soccer into an education, the Ivies are a far better option for the properly credentialed prospect (meaning sufficient soccer/grades). Even though the Ivies don't give scholarships, they do give preferential treatment to athletic recruits during the admissions process and coaches literally do go out solicit student/athletes to fill their "admit slots". That's not the same thing as what happens at the D3 level. Perhaps if more parents understood the differences you wouldn't have the fake NLI signings.
Have another pizza.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-11-2019
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your point is taken. Not everyone's kid wants to go to a super small college located in the butt end of nowhere to study liberal arts.
LOL....you mean like the butt end of nowhere school you forced your kid to go to???? The one that actually has the words "Liberal Arts" in its friggin name??? The irony is so telling.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.