Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scrimmages

It is great that soccer has been moved to moderate risk. However most kids are going to need at least two or three weeks to build up their fitness and endurance for full on scrimmages. Small sides games and running are a good way to gradually build up players to get them game ready. Otherwise the risk of injury is much higher to try full field scrimmages right away which would be reckless on the part of coaches as it would cause kids to miss real games at the end of August/early September.

Thanks capt obvious.

Comment

Yeah it's obvious, however there are plenty of over zealous coaches who will make that mistake.

Comment

Or... the coach kept her kids physically fit throughout the past several months via zoom sessions that focused on physical training, core and strength development AND did the same over the past month while soccer was permitted with no contact. In this case, a scrimmage would certainly be physically challenging for the players but not out of this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          It is great that soccer has been moved to moderate risk. However most kids are going to need at least two or three weeks to build up their fitness and endurance for full on scrimmages. Small sides games and running are a good way to gradually build up players to get them game ready. Otherwise the risk of injury is much higher to try full field scrimmages right away which would be reckless on the part of coaches as it would cause kids to miss real games at the end of August/early September.
          Don’t tell Mr. 80 minute scrimmage every practice...

Comment

Or... the coach kept her kids physically fit throughout the past several months via zoom sessions that focused on physical training, core and strength development AND did the same over the past month while soccer was permitted with no contact. In this case, a scrimmage would certainly be physically challenging for the players but not out of this world.
            Some players will have tried to keep dit, others not so much. But they're kids. They can get back into game shape much faster than all the adults who haven't been hitting the gym the last few months #covid20lbs

Comment

Some players will have tried to keep dit, others not so much. But they're kids. They can get back into game shape much faster than all the adults who haven't been hitting the gym the last few months #covid20lbs
              Not so sure about that. I have seen plenty of kids who look like they have put on 8 to 10 pounds while mostly playing Fortnite and watching Tik-Tok videos the last 5 months. It is going to take these kids at least a month to get in shape.

Comment

Or like most coaches who have been communicating that players should be running on their own and conditioning ...........unless your coach went silent which in unfortunate and ya there have been practices etc with small sided groups

Comment

Scorpions did 80 minute inter club friendlies and no players were hurt or injured in my daughters game. She was so excited to play a competitive game. We went to Roger William. The coaching staff did an excellent job with making sure things were done according to guidelines. Player temperature checks, wiping down the areas and ball. Some of the girls did not have their game legs but now that we can play small sided and interclub games in MA it will not take long before they are back in game shape. What I was surprised was that the coaching staff was very quiet during the games. Ask my daughter why and she said because they wanted us to have fun and just play. I think it was to get an idea of what the players could do since their are several still not on the team for next year. Might have used the game like a tryout. Can’t wait to start playing other clubs next but interclub friendlies is something more than what they had before.

Comment

Zoom was no replacement for anything except refunds

Comment

Scorpions did 80 minute inter club friendlies and no players were hurt or injured in my daughters game. She was so excited to play a competitive game. We went to Roger William. The coaching staff did an excellent job with making sure things were done according to guidelines. Player temperature checks, wiping down the areas and ball. Some of the girls did not have their game legs but now that we can play small sided and interclub games in MA it will not take long before they are back in game shape. What I was surprised was that the coaching staff was very quiet during the games. Ask my daughter why and she said because they wanted us to have fun and just play. I think it was to get an idea of what the players could do since their are several still not on the team for next year. Might have used the game like a tryout. Can’t wait to start playing other clubs next but interclub friendlies is something more than what they had before.
                      Club should be careful, heard Juventus was warned by the state for not practicing social distancing.

Comment

Zoom was no replacement for anything except refunds
                        This ^^^

Comment

This ^^^
                          Maybe for a poorly run club. Most well run clubs were all offered refunds and or credits.

Comment

Maybe for a poorly run club. Most well run clubs were all offered refunds and or credits.
                            Correct. And those same well run clubs also had coaches do zoom sessions.

Comment

As far as club is concerned, we are all paying for better coaching & for the most part we are probably getting that service. However, we have seen, although not too often, at our club, (not scorps), that a periodic "let em' loose" session is great for the overall soccer experience. 1, kids have a blast without adults interjecting. 2, skills (athletic, decision making...etc.), can benefit from less adult feedback. The old learn from mistakes thing. 3, nurtures culture of honesty & sportsmanship. 4, enhances competitive spirit. I'm sure others could add to the benefits of a "coachless" session. Some may say that kids should be doing the pickup game scenario on their own, but our experience is that a club, town, or school team environment would be better. I personally enjoy the pickup game, obviously not in total substitution for good coaching. But once in a while I feel is desirable & beneficial.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X