Ask the Coach, Women's College D1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disagree it’s fractured, vast majority of talent moved to the ECNL platforms and once ECNL expands next year, it will be one stop shopping.

Comment

I see your agenda, but it will never be one stop shopping, especially in New England, as there is no desire to expand the ECNL here.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Disagree it’s fractured, vast majority of talent moved to the ECNL platforms and once ECNL expands next year, it will be one stop shopping.
        I’m an ECNL parent. The idea that college coaches will ever only recruit from one league is absurd (in my opinion —the coach is welcome to weigh in). I do think that ECNL affords the best exposure (GDA was very similar and it will just remain to be seen once GA gets up and running). Kids in other leagues will have to do more work to be noticed, but it can be done.

The “ECNL or nothing” parents give the rest of us a bad name.

Comment

I see your agenda, but it will never be one stop shopping, especially in New England, as there is no desire to expand the ECNL here.
          I don’t have an agenda, I have an opinion. Everything isn’t a conspiracy.

Comment

ECNL can't even begin to fill all the spots out there each year, so of course it doesn't capture all. It's a matter of who is shopping ECNL vs other leagues

Comment

Have a scenario to lay out and looking for advice: D is a 2022/2004 plays ECNL, mid-roster player, is a high achiever academically. She attended an ID camp freshmen and sophomore year for her top pick which should be a target school for her level based on her club coach’s ceedback, was in contact with college coach via email and had a few phone conversations related to ID camp performance prior to June 15. Coach was supposed to see her play in league or tournament play this Spring, but that fell through. She reached out via email and has called the coach a few times, but it’s been radio silence. To be clear, she received some contact from coaches at other programs on June 15, but nothing from this coach at her too pick, not even an email.

Do you think this is Covid related? Is she no longer on the list of candidates the coach might be interested in? Trying to understand whether we write of this program and focus on others or give this program and coach another opportunity. This is our first time going through the process and it’s been fairly stressful. Some of the programs that expressed interest are likely outside our budget and we don’t expect much financial aid. Her top pick is quite affordable to us as a family, but if the soccer isn’t going to work, we’ll have to look elsewhere.

Comment

I’m an ECNL parent. The idea that college coaches will ever only recruit from one league is absurd (in my opinion —the coach is welcome to weigh in). I do think that ECNL affords the best exposure (GDA was very similar and it will just remain to be seen once GA gets up and running). Kids in other leagues will have to do more work to be noticed, but it can be done.

The “ECNL or nothing” parents give the rest of us a bad name.
                We don't have a mindset to recruit from just one or two leagues....and will adjust and adapt to the ridiculous ever-changing landscape of girls soccer.

We aren't happy about the DA disbanding because frankly (and I know I will piss off some ECNL parents) but that was our favorite because the level was soooo good. Before you jump down my throat, YES there were some ECNL teams that could beat DA teams and YES there were some ECNL players that were better than most DA players, but in GENERAL the overall level of play was far better.....we consistently saw high level soccer. The ECNL has so many clubs now that it's not so elite anymore. I was around when it first started, and it actual was the Elite Club National League---I think only the top 17 or so clubs around the country? Then they realized there were lots of folks who would line up to pay to travel across the country and it kept growing and growing and growing.

The ECNL will have more a strong hold it appears this year with the DA gone.....we will have to attend the GA as well because lots of teams we'd been tracking have moved to that.

And, yes, others may have to do more work---as will we! But, it can be done.

Comment

Have a scenario to lay out and looking for advice: D is a 2022/2004 plays ECNL, mid-roster player, is a high achiever academically. She attended an ID camp freshmen and sophomore year for her top pick which should be a target school for her level based on her club coach’s ceedback, was in contact with college coach via email and had a few phone conversations related to ID camp performance prior to June 15. Coach was supposed to see her play in league or tournament play this Spring, but that fell through. She reached out via email and has called the coach a few times, but it’s been radio silence. To be clear, she received some contact from coaches at other programs on June 15, but nothing from this coach at her too pick, not even an email.

Do you think this is Covid related? Is she no longer on the list of candidates the coach might be interested in? Trying to understand whether we write of this program and focus on others or give this program and coach another opportunity. This is our first time going through the process and it’s been fairly stressful. Some of the programs that expressed interest are likely outside our budget and we don’t expect much financial aid. Her top pick is quite affordable to us as a family, but if the soccer isn’t going to work, we’ll have to look elsewhere.
                  My honest answer would be that she is likely not in their mix at the moment. We had a rather large pool for June 15 contact (larger than normal years simply because we did not have the usual opportunities to see players all spring/summer where our pool would become more targeted). We arranged calls with our top 20, then emailed our next group. I don't want to speak for another program but have to believe they would have responded if you were on their short list. That being said, I'd also be persistent and keep trying if it is your top choice because things do change, and this will be a weird year with a later time line for everyone. I'd not give up until they told you no :)

Comment

My honest answer would be that she is likely not in their mix at the moment. We had a rather large pool for June 15 contact (larger than normal years simply because we did not have the usual opportunities to see players all spring/summer where our pool would become more targeted). We arranged calls with our top 20, then emailed our next group. I don't want to speak for another program but have to believe they would have responded if you were on their short list. That being said, I'd also be persistent and keep trying if it is your top choice because things do change, and this will be a weird year with a later time line for everyone. I'd not give up until they told you no :)
                    Thanks for the response. That was my gut feeling, but like I said, this is our first time through. My guess is she’ll continue to reach out, try and get the coach to a game once the blackout period is done and play resumes as she really likes the school and program.

Comment

Where does high school soccer fit in with recruiting? You’ve mentioned club showcases, clinics, and contacts, but is HS soccer a source most college coaches use for recruiting?

Comment

What kind of fitness standards do you require on the first day of practice. Can you give us some minimum numbers for a pacer test, 40 yard dash, 300m dash, etc?

Comment

Adding to the question about High School soccer - do you ever find players that can’t afford to play top level girls? So High School only or High School and ‘town travel’? What would your advice be to these types of players?

How frequently do girls get scouted from Community College or Div 3 programs and transfer? Are there particular CC or D3 teams you keep an eye on?

Comment

As an experienced parent with this I will say don't set your heart on anything. Keep many options open. Obviously theres the risk things don't always work out, no matter how much you want it. But also you may miss out on something even better. If coaches are reaching out, talk to them. It may not be a fit but it's worth a free conversation. You never know. Also you never know what your entire financial package will be until the coach makes his athletic offer and the school possibly puts in some FA and merit money. Finally, while graduating without debt is an excellent goal, taking on a manageable small amount of debt can be worth it for a significantly better school.

Radio silence doesn't always mean they've lost interest - the coach could be trying to finish their 21 class. Some are just disorganized. Some don't make offers until later. Have your D keep trying, but as I said she should explore all her options

Comment

Adding to the question about High School soccer - do you ever find players that can’t afford to play top level girls? So High School only or High School and ‘town travel’? What would your advice be to these types of players?

How frequently do girls get scouted from Community College or Div 3 programs and transfer? Are there particular CC or D3 teams you keep an eye on?
                              Look at roster bios of schools your player is interested in. If their resumes all have high level club etc it's going to be very tough to crack a roster with just HS , let alone get playing time. Where will you be seen? You "might" get a local college coach to come watch a game. Might. Nin club can happen but not often and mostly lower level programs

Comment

I have some real specific q's-

2022 D was "contacted" on 15th, but didn't receive call until 16th from her top choice school. Assuming this means she is not on coach's top 5 "wish list".

D hadn't attended any ID events, would that affect where she falls on the list?
                                What can D do to finagle her way up the ladder?
                                What do typical athletic aid offers look like?
                                Will coach factor in possible academic merit & financial aid in offer?

TIA for any info!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X