Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Gap Year: the logical solution!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Realize this is a little tongue in cheek but if I told my kid he can take a gap year where he can't travel, much is closed, there are few jobs but he could stay home and learn a hobby, I think at this point, having stayed home with little to do for months now, he'd probably...well, I'm not even sure what he'd do but he wouldn't be happy!
    One of the biggest problems with that, unless it was universal, which is not happening, is after that gap year you have 5 class years to fit into a school with enough room for 4.

Comment

It’s funny how people still expect Covid to go away in a year. It’s here to stay in one form or other. People will still get sick and die from it even if there is a vaccine or other treatment. It’s not like the flu went away because we have vaccines or the common cold went away because we have cold medicines.

Comment

I agree this virus is t going anywhere,People need to realize this and stop with the hysteria.Mandatory masks when out in public and get busy living,covid is not a death sentence for majority of people.Those at risk take even more precautions.Schools cannot be shut down because some people are unhealthy or old.This is the new normal .Get used to it

Comment

It’s funny how people still expect Covid to go away in a year. It’s here to stay in one form or other. People will still get sick and die from it even if there is a vaccine or other treatment. It’s not like the flu went away because we have vaccines or the common cold went away because we have cold medicines.
          Right now there's neither a vaccine nor effective treatments (let's call it that for now and not debate. net/net there's nothing like Tamiflu that can be taken unsupervised outside a hospital setting). The big lie from the administration is that we will have a vaccine his fall. We won't. It's impossible to make it happen even if everything goes 100% perfect, and it won't. Even Spring of next year is shaky but health officials are hopeful. then of course we'll have the anti vax crowd, but anywho

So, let's be optimistic and hope for Spring. With that as the working scenario, how to do reopen as much as we can - schools, businesses etc - and still protect the most vulnerable? We already know what to do - masks, hand washings, distancing, precautions, no large unmasked groups, outside as much as is feasible etc. It's convincing certain parts of society that they need to take part in this large social contract and do their part. I keep seeing more articles about parties and resulting 20+ cases from it. I get it. We are all sick of it all but WE ARE STUCK WITH IT FOR MANY MORE MONTHS.

Comment

Right now there's neither a vaccine nor effective treatments (let's call it that for now and not debate. net/net there's nothing like Tamiflu that can be taken unsupervised outside a hospital setting). The big lie from the administration is that we will have a vaccine his fall. We won't. It's impossible to make it happen even if everything goes 100% perfect, and it won't. Even Spring of next year is shaky but health officials are hopeful. then of course we'll have the anti vax crowd, but anywho

So, let's be optimistic and hope for Spring. With that as the working scenario, how to do reopen as much as we can - schools, businesses etc - and still protect the most vulnerable? We already know what to do - masks, hand washings, distancing, precautions, no large unmasked groups, outside as much as is feasible etc. It's convincing certain parts of society that they need to take part in this large social contract and do their part. I keep seeing more articles about parties and resulting 20+ cases from it. I get it. We are all sick of it all but WE ARE STUCK WITH IT FOR MANY MORE MONTHS.
            It’s the talk of a vaccine that is encouraging risky behavior like parties, etc. because everyone believes there is a light at the end the tunnel. The government doesn’t want people to give up hope so they dangle thus fairy tale like a carrot. The fact is there has NEVER been a vaccine for a new virus created in a year (or even a few years) and we’ve NEVER produced and distributed a vaccine to billions of people in a year (or even a few years). The only disease we’ve ever eradicated thru vaccination was smallpox and that took decades. So no, there won’t be a vaccine next spring and maybe not for years. And when they do have it, you can be sure it won’t be immediately available to many and an equal number will refuse to take it because they don’t want to be the first guinea pigs or just don’t trust vaccines, modern medicine, or the government in general. Get used to living the way we are and just hope it doesn’t get worse.

Comment

I have figured out the perfect solution to the Covid crisis: the President/Secretary of Ed/State Governors should declare a mandatory shut down of every single school and sports team K through college! Everyone just take one big gap year---read books, learn how to knit, take up an instrument, hone a new skill. Everything completely closed for one year, then at this time next year we just pick up where we left off! No one misses ANYTHING....nor will there be any compromised learning. No one gets ahead of anyone else in school or sports. Kids won't miss Proms or graduations.
              Teachers will get slight pay cuts for one year, as will college staff and faculty, and perhaps some government relief for the schools and universities. With greatly reduced operating expenses, schools may not take as much of a hit as we think. AND, best of all, the huge army of high school and college aged kids can provide babysitting services for all those with young children so the parents can actually work!

Obviously this is pretty tongue in cheek, but my dad came up with the idea and the more I thought about it.....even though it's not perfect, it seems no more crazy than some of the other things happening now we never could have imagined (like entire public school districts being shut down)
              Wow! You’re super naive if think the motivated kids won’t pull ahead academically if “everyone” took a gap year. The motivated will be taking online classes and the unmotivated and those without access will fall further behind.

Comment

Wow! You’re super naive if think the motivated kids won’t pull ahead academically if “everyone” took a gap year. The motivated will be taking online classes and the unmotivated and those without access will fall further behind.
                Survival of the fittest? Adapt and evolve?

Comment

A. Gap year means no classes for anyone.....also, it was mostly a hypothetical joke
                  B. Motivated kids getting father ahead than unmotivated....hmmmm, sounds like what occurs in life with all situations

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X