Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I actually do place a tremendous amount of merit on playing D2 and D3 soccer in college and commend all higher education endeavors by students and student athletes. There’s so many paths to choose. The chip comes from the negativity on here. Scroll back and you see post after post on the idea of striving for a D1 scholarships as nearly impossible (so don’t do it), then that it’s basically not a great life to be a D1 athlete (so don’t do it), and that so-in-so knows players given D1 opportunities but turned them down because they won’t ever smile in college (so don’t do it), and if you get hurt you’re out which is actually not true (so don’t do it), etc etc.

It all sounds like sour grapes to a parent of a player getting a D1 scholarship. We are all ecstatic.
    Not the case actually - nobody is saying don't try for a DI scholarship - they are saying that parents and athletes need to be realistic about their chances and to be cautious about the lure from a club about scholarship money. The reality is NH kids - not kids from MA or ME playing for a NH club - NH kids are few for DI scholarships and that if they get one - its most likely a partial scholarship.

The problem on this board is that there are too many "I know a person" or "my kid got one" promoting the exception, not the rule. Just because I know someone who drives without a seatbelt who has never been in a car accident does not mean I use that as my basis for not wearing a seatbelt. I use the trends and the rule - not the exception to the rule - as my guide.

Same thing needs to happen for club soccer and understanding that 90% of NH kids playing soccer for a club or HS in NH will not play in college at any level and that chances are NH kids that do play in college will most likely play DIII, some play DII, and a very select few will play DI.

Our best - top 20 players girls or boys - can't compete with the top 20 from a state like NJ, CT, or MA. Their clubs produce a much higher % of DI players than we do.

You still shoot for the highest level you can but at some point you have to be self aware and reality has to settle in about your abilities. I was the same way as an athlete until a coach of mine sent me to a high profile exposure camp before my junior season in HS and I got my butt kicked all week. My dream of a DI athlete was put into focus. I was trying to compete with DI players and it was all I could do all week to just stay out of the way and not make too many mistakes. I realized my ability and skill set were low DII or high DIII was more likely, and the evaluation I got at the exposure week, was exactly where I ended up 2 years later playing DII college athletics, not DI.

Its about reality - the DI players from NH have DOMINATED the HS landscape over the years. If you cant put up insane numbers as a HS player in NH - you are not a DI talent. Plain and simple. No matter the sport, here in NH the legit DI athletes have been beasts in their HS years. Being a good player on a ok team is NOT going to get you a DI scholarship.

Playing DA and allowing an average of 2+ goals per game is NOT going to get you a DI scholarship. How can it? If the other players are DI talent and they are scoring an average of 2 goals per game, how does a college look at the players giving those up and say "yeah, let me recruit them because I want a team that gives up more goals than we can score".

Comment

^^ Fine post, but why the shot at DA? Doesn't it apply to all leagues?

Careful, your agenda is showing.

Comment

^^ Fine post, but why the shot at DA? Doesn't it apply to all leagues?

Careful, your agenda is showing.
        Not the OP but come on. This wasn't a shot at DA. It was speaking to the perception that SOME have that being in DA is the elusive path to D1. It's not. You have to be great whether you're in DA, ECNL, or NPL.

Also, sour grapes? No. I am sure many of us, myself included, would be thrilled if our kids earn a D1 scholarship. But I won't force them to take it if that's not what they want. My issues with your posts are that you seem to adamantly refuse to accept that not everyone who plays high level soccer has the exclusive goal of being a D1 athlete. Some do and that's good and I hope they succeed. Others play high level because they are talented, they love it as high school kids, and they don't know for sure what they're going to choose in the future. Some amazing players WILL ultimately decide that their highest level career ends in HS and choose D3 for academic reasons or choose not to play at all. It's fine. Don't worry so much about what others do. If your kid only cares about soccer and earns D1 $, then awesome! They're doing what they set out to do. But don't fool yourself into believing that there aren't kids out there who just don't want it, regardless of skill. Not sour grapes. Just facts.

It's clear that D1 is very important to you. So stop caring that not everyone wants it and holds it jn that same high regard.

Comment

Not the OP but come on. This wasn't a shot at DA. It was speaking to the perception that SOME have that being in DA is the elusive path to D1. It's not. You have to be great whether you're in DA, ECNL, or NPL.

Also, sour grapes? No. I am sure many of us, myself included, would be thrilled if our kids earn a D1 scholarship. But I won't force them to take it if that's not what they want. My issues with your posts are that you seem to adamantly refuse to accept that not everyone who plays high level soccer has the exclusive goal of being a D1 athlete. Some do and that's good and I hope they succeed. Others play high level because they are talented, they love it as high school kids, and they don't know for sure what they're going to choose in the future. Some amazing players WILL ultimately decide that their highest level career ends in HS and choose D3 for academic reasons or choose not to play at all. It's fine. Don't worry so much about what others do. If your kid only cares about soccer and earns D1 $, then awesome! They're doing what they set out to do. But don't fool yourself into believing that there aren't kids out there who just don't want it, regardless of skill. Not sour grapes. Just facts.

It's clear that D1 is very important to you. So stop caring that not everyone wants it and holds it jn that same high regard.
          D1 is not very important to me. I haven't made any comments on here prior to that.

I just found it curious that only DA was mentioned ("Playing DA and allowing an average of 2+ goals per game is NOT going to get you a DI scholarship"). The entire post was a ramble about NH sucking and choosing your level etc. Could've just ended it there. But, just had to slip in the DA comment, when NPL or ECNL could just as easily apply.

You took my comment and went off on some tangent from there.

Comment

“If your kid only cares about soccer and earns D1 $, then awesome! They’re doing what they set out to do.”

Nope. My kid earned a lot of D1 $ but she does not only care about soccer and isn’t doing what she set out to do. She loves soccer along with science, art, and music and her friends and family. She works really really hard and is really talented so things worked out for her. She’s looking forward to the total college experience which includes continuing to play soccer.

And again the dig at D1.

Comment

“If your kid only cares about soccer and earns D1 $, then awesome! They’re doing what they set out to do.”

Nope. My kid earned a lot of D1 $ but she does not only care about soccer and isn’t doing what she set out to do. She loves soccer along with science, art, and music and her friends and family. She works really really hard and is really talented so things worked out for her. She’s looking forward to the total college experience which includes continuing to play soccer.

And again the dig at D1.
              Lol....ok. You obviously just want accolades for your kid. She's amazing! She's awesome! She's going to be an engineering major AND on the starting lineup of the 2023 World Cup WNT. D1 is wonderful! She is so talented that she can do it all and none of the rest of us know anything!!! Oh! And by the way, this is all because of your amazing parenting!

There. That good? You clearly aren't capable of understanding differing experiences and goals for people and just want affirmation of your daughter's "talent" in all regards. I hope this satisfies the need.

Comment

Lol....ok. You obviously just want accolades for your kid. She's amazing! She's awesome! She's going to be an engineering major AND on the starting lineup of the 2023 World Cup WNT. D1 is wonderful! She is so talented that she can do it all and none of the rest of us know anything!!! Oh! And by the way, this is all because of your amazing parenting!

There. That good? You clearly aren't capable of understanding differing experiences and goals for people and just want affirmation of your daughter's "talent" in all regards. I hope this satisfies the need.
                Very strange response.

Again if you go back and scroll through this post it is repeatedly negative towards D1. Not much is positive in multiple posts regarding playing D1, in fact it’s stated several times how it’s not a good choice for kids for a variety of reasons. I’m just stating the opposite view point and have done so with facts and an even keel in hopes someone else will glean information for their own journey.

You clearly need help. And I certainly don’t need any affirmation especially from the likes of the majority of talking soccer know-it-alls.

Comment

Very strange response.

Again if you go back and scroll through this post it is repeatedly negative towards D1. Not much is positive in multiple posts regarding playing D1, in fact it’s stated several times how it’s not a good choice for kids for a variety of reasons. I’m just stating the opposite view point and have done so with facts and an even keel in hopes someone else will glean information for their own journey.

You clearly need help. And I certainly don’t need any affirmation especially from the likes of the majority of talking soccer know-it-alls.
                  Not the OP, but you certainly seem like you need affirmation, otherwise you would't make as many comments about it as you do.

From what I see, I don't see a lot of slamming of D1. Just that there needs to be other activity because, as it proven, it's rare compared to the overall playing population.

Some don't want to make the sacrifice since making a career in the game after college is even more rare.

Comment

Is the northeast conference really D1?

Comment

D1 is not very important to me. I haven't made any comments on here prior to that.

I just found it curious that only DA was mentioned ("Playing DA and allowing an average of 2+ goals per game is NOT going to get you a DI scholarship"). The entire post was a ramble about NH sucking and choosing your level etc. Could've just ended it there. But, just had to slip in the DA comment, when NPL or ECNL could just as easily apply.

You took my comment and went off on some tangent from there.
                      My post was not about NH sucking - again, you read what you wanted to hear. I did not take a shot against DA - I am pointing out that we have so many people on this board saying "DI scholarships" and expressing that club soccer is the path there it is laughable. If you look at the boys and girls DA numbers their GAA is 2 or 2+ per game. Yet, the DA supporters want to think these kids are elite because they are playing for DA but facts are facts that if this is the elite talent in NH - then its not DI caliber if you average 2 or more goals against average. I used the numbers to support my claim.

It happens in NPL too - some teams are competitive and others are not. The ones that are not don't have DI talent if they allow 2 or more goals per game.

Comment

My post was not about NH sucking - again, you read what you wanted to hear. I did not take a shot against DA - I am pointing out that we have so many people on this board saying "DI scholarships" and expressing that club soccer is the path there it is laughable. If you look at the boys and girls DA numbers their GAA is 2 or 2+ per game. Yet, the DA supporters want to think these kids are elite because they are playing for DA but facts are facts that if this is the elite talent in NH - then its not DI caliber if you average 2 or more goals against average. I used the numbers to support my claim.

It happens in NPL too - some teams are competitive and others are not. The ones that are not don't have DI talent if they allow 2 or more goals per game.
                        Show me a post where a DA supporter calls their kid elite.

Again, you mentioned "DA" when you could've just as easily have said any other league.

For a youth development league, the fact that you mention GAA as some gating factor only further proves how off-based you are.

Take a real life example: young goalie never trained to play with their feet. Been trained through other clubs to launch it. Goalie averages a turn-over a game trying to pay out of the back. 9/10 times, it happens flawlessly. Once it doesn't. Goalie is getting a lot better and the play overall is improving.

You look at that as a bad thing. I look at that as a great thing.

Comment

Show me a post where a DA supporter calls their kid elite.

Again, you mentioned "DA" when you could've just as easily have said any other league.

For a youth development league, the fact that you mention GAA as some gating factor only further proves how off-based you are.

Take a real life example: young goalie never trained to play with their feet. Been trained through other clubs to launch it. Goalie averages a turn-over a game trying to pay out of the back. 9/10 times, it happens flawlessly. Once it doesn't. Goalie is getting a lot better and the play overall is improving.

You look at that as a bad thing. I look at that as a great thing.
                          They say it happens in NPL too - can you read? Goals against is not just a keeper issue - its a defensive issue that starts with forwards and ends with the GK. So yeas, that poster is valid in citing that GAA is telling about a team or programs overall ability.

The DA program is SUPPOSED to be the best of the best - why do you thin they have ID clinics and tryouts? What else would you call it other than trying to draw the elite talent? What you think NHSL is the same as DA???? Really?

At least try and make some sense before you spout off ridiculousness

Comment

They say it happens in NPL too - can you read? Goals against is not just a keeper issue - its a defensive issue that starts with forwards and ends with the GK. So yeas, that poster is valid in citing that GAA is telling about a team or programs overall ability.

The DA program is SUPPOSED to be the best of the best - why do you thin they have ID clinics and tryouts? What else would you call it other than trying to draw the elite talent? What you think NHSL is the same as DA???? Really?

At least try and make some sense before you spout off ridiculousness
                            The original post said only GA. Can't you read?

Same issue applies with defenders, learning to play with vs. chasing after the ball. I gave a real-life example. So, no, it doesn't mean anything. Turnovers while learning meant absolutely zero, and any real coach looking to develop talent would tell you so.

As we have been told ad nauseum on here, there is little to no talent in NH. So, a DA team here could have the best of the best...and still have no talent. Right? I mean, I read it right here. Must be true!!!!!

The point is that nobody on here spouts DA as being Elite. I know the anti-DA crowd wants to put words in their mouths, but it's just not true.

At least try and make some sense before you spout of ridiculousness

Comment

Not the OP, but you certainly seem like you need affirmation, otherwise you would't make as many comments about it as you do.

From what I see, I don't see a lot of slamming of D1. Just that there needs to be other activity because, as it proven, it's rare compared to the overall playing population.

Some don't want to make the sacrifice since making a career in the game after college is even more rare.
                              Again. I guess you don’t realize what you are doing. Your last sentence is negative. It’s saying playing D1 is “a sacrifice”. Of what? You can have a very happy and well rounded college experience and play a varsity sport. Many do. And then you mention making a career after college. That’s not the end game of the vast majority of D1 athletes. They want to get a job or seek even higher education and get a job just like everyone else.

Comment

Again. I guess you don’t realize what you are doing. Your last sentence is negative. It’s saying playing D1 is “a sacrifice”. Of what? You can have a very happy and well rounded college experience and play a varsity sport. Many do. And then you mention making a career after college. That’s not the end game of the vast majority of D1 athletes. They want to get a job or seek even higher education and get a job just like everyone else.
                                You're missing the point.

Playing a D1 sport is a sacrifice. It's enjoyable and rewarding, but it's still a sacrifice. It's a lot of time and you do miss out on some college experiences. For some, it's not worth it. I have a family member who decided not to play D1 and went to a DIII school instead. Going to that D1 school was always his dream, until it came time to decide what he wanted to do every day over the next 4 years. He joined a frat; was able to play two sports vs. just one, still was a high-honors student.

I have good friends who played DI, DII, and DIII. There cannot be any doubt the higher you go, the more dedicated you have to be to that sport and the more you miss out by being away and tied to the team so much. The DIII players sure wish they could've played at a higher level; the DI players listen to stories and say they wished they had time for that. I don't think anyone really has regrets, but to make a statement that you don't sacrifice by playing a high-level sport in college is just not true.

Whether you care about that sacrifice, well that's up to the individual. But, it's real.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X