Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Private lessons/coaches

I know this will lead to tons of rants and useless responses, but I'm hoping for at least a few helpful suggestions.

Our son has asked if we would consider getting him some private lessons. He is a pretty good player but is super focused on trying to get better. He usually stays after practices to work on his own and plays every chance he gets. However, he thinks that he needs some help with technique. He is a 08 who is on a solid premier team but is aware that all the really good players on his team have had private coaches for years. I don't want to just throw money at this, like some of the families on our team but our son is motivated and wants to put in the effort, I would consider something if it's a good coach and the costs are not crazy.

Any suggestions for private coaches in the Norwalk/Westport/Fairfield area? What is a reasonable hourly rate? I have heard numbers between $50/hr to $150hr.

Thanks

we bought into it for a bit for my son. Don't bother. It really doesn't make a bit of difference at that age.

Comment

put the money in a college savings account rather than blow it on a soccer cheerleader

Comment

my opinion is too young for that - however, if you can get another 2 or 3 kids, it would be a nice small-sided training group. I just thinking 1 on 1 training at that age is too over the top.

Comment

Train him yourself... google search for some training videos...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Train him yourself... google search for some training videos...
            Right. I did the same thing with her piano lessons...

Comment

That young your money is better spent on a good camp or two plus doing work on his own. If need be then try to find a few other players of similar ability to split the cost. Otherwise it's akin to lighting your cash on fire. Wait until he's older and you see how committed to the sport he really is. Training is also more effective when you're working on specific things. Camps, more games, backyard work is much better for general improvement

Comment

Right. I did the same thing with her piano lessons...
                No need for parental involvement. A motivated player will take video ideas and go work on their own, over and over again.

Comment

The thing that made the biggest difference for my son at that age was attending a Red Bulls RDS camp, the one you have to try out for. (If your son is at a decent club you don't actually have to try out fyi if you get in touch with them after the tryout date).

Also doing something like Parisi which helps with speed and agility made a difference.

The other thing I would urge, is to focus on pick up games if you can. It let's kids ay with no pressure. So they can try things, and try new positions. Coaches should be rotating kids into different positions but none ever did with my son. He would put himself in different positions in pick up games, and that was the only experience he had playing in the midfield before his coach started playing him there.

Comment

try John Curtis's NCE program. the spring sessions are already started but maybe there's a chance to join one of the groups that has fewer participants. He does them all over the area. He runs some summer camps as well.

the benefit to this is that's it's super intense training with generally above-average kids (including a lot of academy players).

https://ncesoccer.com/

also agree that Red Bulls RDS camps are another good option.

personally I feel that soccer is a team sport so practicing alone with a trainer seems odd (maybe unless you are a GK)? if you want to work on pure foot skill fundamentals just get them a dribble-up soccer ball and save the $$.

Comment

The thing that made the biggest difference for my son at that age was attending a Red Bulls RDS camp, the one you have to try out for. (If your son is at a decent club you don't actually have to try out fyi if you get in touch with them after the tryout date).

Also doing something like Parisi which helps with speed and agility made a difference.

The other thing I would urge, is to focus on pick up games if you can. It let's kids ay with no pressure. So they can try things, and try new positions. Coaches should be rotating kids into different positions but none ever did with my son. He would put himself in different positions in pick up games, and that was the only experience he had playing in the midfield before his coach started playing him there.
                      My son went to a Red Bull RDS and there's value to those beyond soccer as well. If they can handle the separation it's a great idea. Some kids get too home sick for it.

Comment

Try this...

www.coachup.com

Lots of coaches with solid credentials and backgrounds there. I found a great coach for my kid there and we've used him for the last 3 summers and in the winter breaks.

Really gave us the individual focus needed and my kid has improved greatly from the investment.

Comment

Try looking into Futsal, it’s fast, fun, and they work on foot skills. Honestly, my kids watch YouTube soccer training videos and learn from them.

Comment

However, he thinks that he needs some help with technique. He is a 08 who is on a solid premier team but is aware that all the really good players on his team have had private coaches for years.

Thanks
                            Private coaches for years? that's crazy, he's 10! It's too early to start with private coaches! Juggle, Dribble, YouTube, play. get him some cones and a rebounder (that's money well spent) - and look up Coerver soccer drills. And you, Dad, or mom, go play with him, while he still wants you to - send him crosses, play goalie and let him shoot on you, play 1 on 1 while you still stand a chance. the time you spend WITH HIM is way more valuable than schleping him to some other guy. Once he hits puberty maybe, but for now resist the urge to make it into a job.

- A parent who misses the days with him kicking in the back yard.

Comment

Private coaches for years? that's crazy, he's 10! It's too early to start with private coaches! Juggle, Dribble, YouTube, play. get him some cones and a rebounder (that's money well spent) - and look up Coerver soccer drills. And you, Dad, or mom, go play with him, while he still wants you to - send him crosses, play goalie and let him shoot on you, play 1 on 1 while you still stand a chance. the time you spend WITH HIM is way more valuable than schleping him to some other guy. Once he hits puberty maybe, but for now resist the urge to make it into a job.

- A parent who misses the days with him kicking in the back yard.
                              Well said! Made me a bit nostalgic to be honest..

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X