•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youth Sports Model

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/28/s...rts-model.html

-you only think you know...

A few ideas in the article could be adopted here, like no team rankings or playoffs under a certain age. But there's many reasons why Norway's system couldn't be adopted wholesale, starting with the multibillion dollar US youth sport industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Here comes this t w a t again

Comment

Here comes this t w a t again
        It's amazing how you will sit there and call me (insert name here), yet I am the only one trying to get some education going. Use this forum for good rather than bad.

"I only come on TS for entertainment purposes...you can't believe anything you read on here....etc, etc, etc."

Comparing teams via numbers on a computer screen, bashing clubs/coaches and being ugly to anonymous people on the other side of the computer is a weird form of entertainment. How about we change that lazy and exhausting narrative here.

Comment

Question Man Responds

A few ideas in the article could be adopted here, like no team rankings or playoffs under a certain age. But there's many reasons why Norway's system couldn't be adopted wholesale, starting with the multibillion dollar US youth sport industry.

So you think the business of youth sports and the profit seekers who run it should have the say on how we choose to develop our children for sports? What prevents the leadership of the sports organizations in this country from adopting the same approach as done in Norway? Is it your contention that those at the head of U.S. Soccer are in it for the money as well, above all else?

Do you also support the privatization of American prison? Are you in that camp with Betsy DeVos on charter schools and their stripping of public school systems?

Comment

It's amazing how you will sit there and call me (insert name here), yet I am the only one trying to get some education going. Use this forum for good rather than bad.

"I only come on TS for entertainment purposes...you can't believe anything you read on here....etc, etc, etc."

Comparing teams via numbers on a computer screen, bashing clubs/coaches and being ugly to anonymous people on the other side of the computer is a weird form of entertainment. How about we change that lazy and exhausting narrative here.

Thanks for all that you contribute to this forum.

PS - it’s so cool how you sign off, it adds a real stamp of authority in a way. I like how Question Man does something similar. It makes people really look up to both of you for your wisdom and obvious knowledge.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...-informed.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/markman...t/internet/amp

Comment

Question Man Responds

Thanks for all that you contribute to this forum.

PS - it’s so cool how you sign off, it adds a real stamp of authority in a way. I like how Question Man does something similar. It makes people really look up to both of you for your wisdom and obvious knowledge.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...-informed.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/markman...t/internet/amp

So if you are on the internet, does that make you an ******* too?

Why should you have an issue with other contributors not fearing, as you do, to identify themselves and stand behind their postings here?

Are you afraid to be held accountable?

Comment

Question Man sucks

Originally posted by Question Man View Post
                So if you are on the internet, does that make you an ******* too?

Why should you have an issue with other contributors not fearing, as you do, to identify themselves and stand behind their postings here?

Are you afraid to be held accountable?
                Listen Question Man, you aren’t identifying yourself either are you? Are you afraid to actually identify yourself? Sounds that way to me, do you agree?

Comment

Question Man Responds

Listen Question Man, you aren’t identifying yourself either are you? Are you afraid to actually identify yourself? Sounds that way to me, do you agree?
                  Do you not see my site name above? How else would you know to call me Question Man if I didn't use my username here?

Do you think the readers here have any doubt it's me when I post? Do you think we could get a Question Man wannabe here and see how that looks? How cool would that be?

Should I just call you Unregistered from now on? Are you truly posting all these hundreds of posts here all by yourself? Or are you just another side of beef here running invisibly in the herd?

Comment

IDK why people think we need to copy another countries' sports development model. I mean, the simplistic conclusion of the article is the wish that we would have a "children's rights" declaration and suddenly *snap* we would be giant-killers at the Winter Games? I mean, wgaf about most of the winter sports anyway (although Kikkan Randall and Jess Diggins kick ass)?

Not mentioned in this curious piece is that Norway is the Saudi Arabia of Scandinavia, except more. With a small population (5 million) and enormous sovereign wealth (around $1 trillion), they can afford to fund their sports system without excessive tax rates (compare their mid/high 30s tax rate with Sweden & Denmark at high 50s/low 60s). But fundamentally the US has decided *not* to provide centralized federal support for sports, unlike virtually the rest of the world. Title IX was meant to create gender parity, but has the salutary effect of "subsidizing" much of women's sport.

Like everything, our great democracy has decided to push the support for youth sports to the state and local level, while also chronically depriving a flow of funds to pay for endless wars and the military-industrial complex. Not to get all progressive here, but let's solve healthcare, infrastructure, etc, and the wealth creation will help create more ability to invest in our schools and sports. Like Norway.

Comment

Do you not see my site name above? How else would you know to call me Question Man if I didn't use my username here?

Do you think the readers here have any doubt it's me when I post? Do you think we could get a Question Man wannabe here and see how that looks? How cool would that be?

Should I just call you Unregistered from now on? Are you truly posting all these hundreds of posts here all by yourself? Or are you just another side of beef here running invisibly in the herd?
                      You bring up many valid questions don’t you? More people should have the courage to put their name to their posts like you do, don’t you agree? I’ll follow your advice starting right now, does that make you happy? Why are people (besides you and me) afraid to put their name to a post and therefore stand behind it? Your courage is something to behold, no one can question that, can they?

Comment

Question Man Responds

IDK why people think we need to copy another countries' sports development model. I mean, the simplistic conclusion of the article is the wish that we would have a "children's rights" declaration and suddenly *snap* we would be giant-killers at the Winter Games? I mean, wgaf about most of the winter sports anyway (although Kikkan Randall and Jess Diggins kick ass)?

Not mentioned in this curious piece is that Norway is the Saudi Arabia of Scandinavia, except more. With a small population (5 million) and enormous sovereign wealth (around $1 trillion), they can afford to fund their sports system without excessive tax rates (compare their mid/high 30s tax rate with Sweden & Denmark at high 50s/low 60s). But fundamentally the US has decided *not* to provide centralized federal support for sports, unlike virtually the rest of the world. Title IX was meant to create gender parity, but has the salutary effect of "subsidizing" much of women's sport.

Like everything, our great democracy has decided to push the support for youth sports to the state and local level, while also chronically depriving a flow of funds to pay for endless wars and the military-industrial complex. Not to get all progressive here, but let's solve healthcare, infrastructure, etc, and the wealth creation will help create more ability to invest in our schools and sports. Like Norway.
                        Should not our investment in resolving issues around public schools and education be at least on par with our investment in resolving issues with health care and infrastructure? Just how much better a nation might we be if we just took 15% of the money paid to the military industrial complex and used it for these other things?

Comment

Question Man Responds

Originally posted by Question Man Responds View Post
                          You bring up many valid questions don’t you? More people should have the courage to put their name to their posts like you do, don’t you agree? I’ll follow your advice starting right now, does that make you happy? Why are people (besides you and me) afraid to put their name to a post and therefore stand behind it? Your courage is something to behold, no one can question that, can they?
                          Yes, wouldn't it be nice to know which user is making which comment here so that we can better follow the flow of conversation?

Are you really about making me happy? Why does my happiness even matter here? Doesn't it just make more sense to know who you are talking to? Isn't that how it works in most of your other conversations in life?

Don't you think that if users really had to log in and even if they just used a screen name, that most of the denigrating posts would dry up and go away? Is it possible to have some really useful conversations on the state of soccer in CT here and not resort to insult trading and denigration of kids because they play for one club as opposed to another?

Comment

Should not our investment in resolving issues around public schools and education be at least on par with our investment in resolving issues with health care and infrastructure? Just how much better a nation might we be if we just took 15% of the money paid to the military industrial complex and used it for these other things?
                            op, and yes, I agree, and shouldn't relegate educational advancement to an "etcetera"!

the issue generally is that while I agree on some sort of ultra-wealth tax, I wish the discussion at *every* level would be about constraining spending vs increasing taxes. I mean the new proposal for CT tolling is just another "hey let's just ignore all the wasteful spending and grow the revenue side" meanwhile everyone flees the state,,,

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                            Auto-Saved
                            x
                            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                            x
                            Working...
                            X