Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Pure rumor heard from a couple people involved with WYS and PSPL. Inslee is supposed to come out with additional guidance that loosens some restrictions on specific sports. Expect a lot to be allowed for a sport like baseball or softball, a bit more for “mid-contact” sports like lacrosse or softball, things like football or indoor basketball probably still in trouble.
    You think basketball is in trouble? They are playing and practicing all of the time. Travel tournaments etc.

Comment

You think basketball is in trouble? They are playing and practicing all of the time. Travel tournaments etc.
      Don’t know if they are in “trouble,” but they won’t be approved by the state. Unless the state starts fining people like they did in Yakima or facilities realize they aren’t insured, won’t matter.

Comment

Don’t know if they are in “trouble,” but they won’t be approved by the state. Unless the state starts fining people like they did in Yakima or facilities realize they aren’t insured, won’t matter.
        In trouble, that's funny. They aren't asking the state for approval and the state isn't aware of oblivious.

Comment

In trouble, that's funny. They aren't asking the state for approval and the state isn't aware of oblivious.
          Or oblivious.

Comment

was just reading that over 1,000 highschool football games so far this fall across the nation and not a single covid case has come out of those games. Its so past time for inslee to get his head out of his ass and let the kids play.

Comment

was just reading that over 1,000 highschool football games so far this fall across the nation and not a single covid case has come out of those games. Its so past time for inslee to get his head out of his ass and let the kids play.
              Minnesota is a good illustration of where we could be. Playing high school soccer and other sports except football and volleyball. 73 positive tests in sports statewide, but no issues at 68% of the schools and no reports of uncontrolled sports related outbreaks or hospitalizations or deaths resulting from youth sports. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.twi...ll-sports/amp/

Most schools have returned in a partial hybrid system, with most private schools in person.

According to the NYT, their positive test count per 100k is 50% higher than ours, at 66 v 44 per 100k over the past two weeks. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rus-cases.html

A state that, like WA, has a Democratic Governor (albeit with a party split in the legislature). Since Minnesota is a swing state the situation there seems to contradict those who say that the holding pattern here is driven by politics rather than some combination of relative risk aversion, bureaucracy and fear of the unknown.

Comment

Minnesota is a good illustration of where we could be. Playing high school soccer and other sports except football and volleyball. 73 positive tests in sports statewide, but no issues at 68% of the schools and no reports of uncontrolled sports related outbreaks or hospitalizations or deaths resulting from youth sports. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.twi...ll-sports/amp/

Most schools have returned in a partial hybrid system, with most private schools in person.

According to the NYT, their positive test count per 100k is 50% higher than ours, at 66 v 44 per 100k over the past two weeks. https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...rus-cases.html

A state that, like WA, has a Democratic Governor (albeit with a party split in the legislature). Since Minnesota is a swing state the situation there seems to contradict those who say that the holding pattern here is driven by politics rather than some combination of relative risk aversion, bureaucracy and fear of the unknown.
                Ours statewide is higher than what you say: https://coronavirus.wa.gov/what-you-...ment-dashboard - at 80 for the 2 week rolling average 165 for the 1 wk. So, the comparison falls apart. Minnesota also hasn't voted for a republican for president in over 50 years. Also MN is NO WAY a swing state they haven't gone republican for around 50 years.

Also, from the article you posted: "At least 20 percent of reporting teams in girls swim and dive, girls tennis, girls soccer and boys soccer reported having a COVID-related event, with between 14 and 18 athletes in each sport testing positive for COVID-19 in the past two weeks." That's a good size amount when you think about potential community spread and the fact that this is only the people that voluntarily report.

Enjoy your swollen heart.

Comment

none

Calm down - the person who posted on Minnesota vs WA merely stated 2 weeks instead of 1 week. Per NYT, Minnesota IS at 66 per 100k over the last week and WA IS at 44 per 100k. Per WA, we are 80.5 for 2 weeks, or 40 for 1 week if you take average. Should he or she yell at you for incorrectly stating the 1 week is 165? Read the chart a little closer... that's the testing rate, not the infection rate. So just mellow out. People make mistakes.

Comment

Calm down - the person who posted on Minnesota vs WA merely stated 2 weeks instead of 1 week. Per NYT, Minnesota IS at 66 per 100k over the last week and WA IS at 44 per 100k. Per WA, we are 80.5 for 2 weeks, or 40 for 1 week if you take average. Should he or she yell at you for incorrectly stating the 1 week is 165? Read the chart a little closer... that's the testing rate, not the infection rate. So just mellow out. People make mistakes.
                    Happy to admit I made a mistake or misunderstood if I did, but I didn't. The average daily testing rate per 100k during the prior week is 165.5. What figure are you looking at?

https://coronavirus.wa.gov/what-you-...ment-dashboard

Comment

Happy to admit I made a mistake or misunderstood if I did, but I didn't. The average daily testing rate per 100k during the prior week is 165.5. What figure are you looking at?

https://coronavirus.wa.gov/what-you-...ment-dashboard
                      As noted above, I am happy to admit when I made a mistake. Which I did. On the testing rate vs infection rate.

Not incorrect that our infection rate is still higher than what MN is experiencing.

Comment

none

Let's try this again. According to NY Times (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html) they list the 1 week infection rates (not 2 week rate)

Minnesota 66 per 100k
                        Washington 44 per 100k

(According to the WA covid site that was posted, Washington is averaging even less-- 40.25 per 100k per week over last two weeks. To show my math, that's the 80.5 per 100k for 2 weeks, divided by 2 to get a 1-week average.)
                        -
                        Interesting side note, only Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont would be in the running for youth soccer under WA's phased opening plan, if evaluated on a state-wide basis.
                        -
                        ** Does Washington have one of the strictest requirements, if not the strictest, for allowing youth soccer? **
                        -
                        I think California's equivalent phase that would allow youth soccer is twice as high (infection rate) as WA. And many states do not measure infection rates, but focus more on hospital capacity and trends. I think.

Comment

Let's try this again. According to NY Times (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-us-cases.html) they list the 1 week infection rates (not 2 week rate)

Minnesota 66 per 100k
                          Washington 44 per 100k

(According to the WA covid site that was posted, Washington is averaging even less-- 40.25 per 100k per week over last two weeks. To show my math, that's the 80.5 per 100k for 2 weeks, divided by 2 to get a 1-week average.)
                          -
                          Interesting side note, only Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont would be in the running for youth soccer under WA's phased opening plan, if evaluated on a state-wide basis.
                          -
                          ** Does Washington have one of the strictest requirements, if not the strictest, for allowing youth soccer? **
                          -
                          I think California's equivalent phase that would allow youth soccer is twice as high (infection rate) as WA. And many states do not measure infection rates, but focus more on hospital capacity and trends. I think.
                          That’s not how averages work. To get the average you add week one to week 2 and divide by two to get the two week average. We may have had 120 2 weeks ago and 40 this week, but that’s also why we do a rolling average and not specific weeks.

All states measure infection rates and worry about sufficient hospital capacity. I would also be ok not modeling off of California a state who is struggling to get control of the virus.

Comment

Ours statewide is higher than what you say: https://coronavirus.wa.gov/what-you-...ment-dashboard - at 80 for the 2 week rolling average 165 for the 1 wk. So, the comparison falls apart. Minnesota also hasn't voted for a republican for president in over 50 years. Also MN is NO WAY a swing state they haven't gone republican for around 50 years.

Also, from the article you posted: "At least 20 percent of reporting teams in girls swim and dive, girls tennis, girls soccer and boys soccer reported having a COVID-related event, with between 14 and 18 athletes in each sport testing positive for COVID-19 in the past two weeks." That's a good size amount when you think about potential community spread and the fact that this is only the people that voluntarily report.

Enjoy your swollen heart.
                            OP here. Yes, the NYT reports rates per 7 rather than 14 days, so I should have said one week rather than two; sorry for that typo. But Minnesota does have 50% more cases, and nonetheless is relatively open for both youth sports and school, which was my point. Glad you’re sanguine about Democratic prospects in MN (which, as noted, has a split legislature and has elected Republicans to statewide office in recent years and is polling as one of the closest states in the current election, so is a swing state relative to WA). The fact that these are one week rather than two week rates only further highlights how much of an outlier WA is at this point. And if, as you say, MN is more deeply blue than I think, that too reinforces my point that WA’s different approach cannot be chalked up as simply a function of partisan politics.

Nice fearmongering comment about swollen hearts. While you’re at it, is there any study showing myocarditis is more prevalent among young Covid patients than it is among flu or influenza patients or a common issue among asymptomatic young people who test positive for SARS-Cov-2 but do not have symptomatic Covid-19? (News flash: viral infections can cause myocarditis, and athletes should be screened after having flu, pneumonia, or, yes, Covid). The MN schools seem to be doing just what they should be doing — testing and tracing and isolating positive tests (the reports do not suggest that any of the 20% or so schools with positive tests have had hospitalizations).

Comment

OP here. Yes, the NYT reports rates per 7 rather than 14 days, so I should have said one week rather than two; sorry for that typo. But Minnesota does have 50% more cases, and nonetheless is relatively open for both youth sports and school, which was my point. Glad you’re sanguine about Democratic prospects in MN (which, as noted, has a split legislature and has elected Republicans to statewide office in recent years and is polling as one of the closest states in the current election, so is a swing state relative to WA). The fact that these are one week rather than two week rates only further highlights how much of an outlier WA is at this point. And if, as you say, MN is more deeply blue than I think, that too reinforces my point that WA’s different approach cannot be chalked up as simply a function of partisan politics.

Nice fearmongering comment about swollen hearts. While you’re at it, is there any study showing myocarditis is more prevalent among young Covid patients than it is among flu or influenza patients or a common issue among asymptomatic young people who test positive for SARS-Cov-2 but do not have symptomatic Covid-19? (News flash: viral infections can cause myocarditis, and athletes should be screened after having flu, pneumonia, or, yes, Covid). The MN schools seem to be doing just what they should be doing — testing and tracing and isolating positive tests (the reports do not suggest that any of the 20% or so schools with positive tests have had hospitalizations).
                              As a Midwesterner by birth I drift to sanguinity and pragmatism. It's also interesting to note that until recently Washington state also had a split government. More importantly there's a reason for reporting two week rolling averages and displaying data logarithmically. In my mind the largest problem has been the national response, instead letting states blindly try to figure out the best course of action.

I think I'm beginning to recognize the heart of the conflict which is you are arguing for the individual and I am arguing for the community. Each of the players that tested positive and who knows how many asymptomatic people has a family and likely (though as there's no widespread test or contact tracing we can't sure) spread it within their community.

And yes, despite the fact that this is a novel disease there has been studies showing this is worse than the flu on many levels. Swollen hearts just being one of them.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020...5451595856303/
                              https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...id-19-patients

We obviously don't know the long term implications because this virus has been around for less than a year. And despite that we're rounding 200,000 deaths in the US and many more than that with possible long term effects many of which are only now coming into focus. And I suppose that's where my sanguinity ends, where I debate this issue on an anonymous soccer board because I love soccer and my son loves soccer and I love my community. Opening backup before we know the effects is fool hardy! Heck the schedule has 3 rivers playing in it. They are in phase 1.

Comment

Also quick but important note, the MN schools are not doing any testing and tracing, like the poorly designed Surf "study" testing and reporting are voluntary.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X