Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Revolution Academy needs to make some changes.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    He can go to school at any time.
    The question is, where can he get into? College admission has become exceedingly competitive.

What schools were looking at him before he went the pro route?

Comment

The question is, where can he get into? College admission has become exceedingly competitive.

What schools were looking at him before he went the pro route?
      I was talking about the 18 year old pro making $72.5 this year who is DEF not college material and will have a good career like Diego - also no college material.

The 21 year old you're all talking of went to top Ma schools, private and public in Brookline and Newton and has an open enrollment in Providence College any time he wants. $83.9 per year at 21? not bad. Open college invite? not bad. Beyond what he would have gotten otherwise riding benches and he even plays on a National Team! These kids have all the time in the world. Why not make the money and glamour up front, especially since they're not intellectuals.

Even if they never go to college, they'll be high level coaches, radio/tv announcers or otherwise involved with soccer the rest of their lives making close to 3 figures. That's way beyond the average or what they would have make with a basketweaving degree you get when split between college soccer demands and school.

The person I feel sorry for is Matt Turner.

Comment

I'm sure it seems great to a young kid, but he isn't making MLB/NBA/NFL money. Have you not seen the stories of former players making millions that end up broke?

His base salary is $68,906.25 and he's guaranteed total compensation of $83,906.25 in 2018.

Does the Revolution provide a 401k plan? Health insurance? I have no idea, but that would be very helpful for someone making this type of money.

He doesn't appear to be a phenom, so what's the end game? Even Diego needs to figure out what he's going to do after playing because he's making less than my household income and living in MA is expensive.

I'm all for people living their dreams, but eventually the dream has to end. If you don't plan for that you're in deep trouble.

Most young kids don't plan like that. The difference is that most other young kids have a college degree in hand, or have learned a trade. They have work experience applicable to the real world. Being a professional soccer player doesn't open all that many doors.
        What I can't figure out is why it's your worry?

The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported a median personal income of $865 weekly for all full-time workers in 2017. The U.S Bureau of the Census has the annual real median personal income at $31,099 in 2016.

Comment

What I can't figure out is why it's your worry?

The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported a median personal income of $865 weekly for all full-time workers in 2017. The U.S Bureau of the Census has the annual real median personal income at $31,099 in 2016.
          Great. They live in Massachusetts though. Get those stats.

Comment

I was talking about the 18 year old pro making $72.5 this year who is DEF not college material and will have a good career like Diego - also no college material.

The 21 year old you're all talking of went to top Ma schools, private and public in Brookline and Newton and has an open enrollment in Providence College any time he wants. $83.9 per year at 21? not bad. Open college invite? not bad. Beyond what he would have gotten otherwise riding benches and he even plays on a National Team! These kids have all the time in the world. Why not make the money and glamour up front, especially since they're not intellectuals.

Even if they never go to college, they'll be high level coaches, radio/tv announcers or otherwise involved with soccer the rest of their lives making close to 3 figures. That's way beyond the average or what they would have make with a basketweaving degree you get when split between college soccer demands and school.

The person I feel sorry for is Matt Turner.
            To clarify, an open enrollment at PU after giving pro ball a shot?

TV announcer making 3 figures? How many TV announcers are there in the country? Do you think these jobs just grow on trees? "Hey, I played some ball so I can just jump into the booth?" Do you really think it's that easy?

I think it's great, but the reality is a high percentage will flash out and sure, that $$$ is great for the age, but it's not enough to live off after the 2-3 years they hang in there. You even mention they aren't intellectuals, so they go to PU, maybe graduate with what...a basketweaving degree?

Comment

TV announcer making 3 figures? How many TV announcers are there in the country? Do you think these jobs just grow on trees? "Hey, I played some ball so I can just jump into the booth?" Do you really think it's that easy?

I think it's great, but the reality is a high percentage will flash out and sure, that $$$ is great for the age, but it's not enough to live off after the 2-3 years they hang in there. You even mention they aren't intellectuals, so they go to PU, maybe graduate with what...a basketweaving degree?
              "3 figures"? So is that, like, a couple of hundred dollars??

Comment

He'd need a communications major from some credible university and then have to work his way up the ranks like any other person in the industry. Good luck with that. And who thinks he wants to do that? Just because some ex-jocks end up as sports announcers doesn't mean that's his path.

Comment

The 21 year old you're all talking of went to top Ma schools, private and public in Brookline and Newton and has an open enrollment in Providence College any time he wants.
                  That isn't how college works.

Comment

That isn't how college works.
                    Yes he'd have to re-apply for admittance, possibly even take SATs again since it's been so long since he took it. Nothing insurmountable. However, if he was given lenience because he had the support of the coach, well, he no longer has that. Just because he went to private schools doesn't mean he was a strong student (he very well may be but rumors say otherwise). In addition, he's walked away from his athletic grants. He'd have to come up with the money (less any merit or possibly financial aid if he qualified). Lastly, he may not WANT to go there any longer. Then he's like any other applicant applying to any other university.

Comment

The Revs have uploaded the surviving players from each 17/18 roster to the Academy website. Attrition was pretty high. I'll be interested to see the new players added in the coming weeks.

Comment

The Revs have uploaded the surviving players from each 17/18 roster to the Academy website. Attrition was pretty high. I'll be interested to see the new players added in the coming weeks.
                        The usual suspects. No surprises except for a few. They like little guys I guess.

Comment

The usual suspects. No surprises except for a few. They like little guys I guess.
                          Little guys vs. men usually does not end well, especially if they are s--l--o--w.

Comment

Looks like the '02s were decimated, around 10 kids no longer rostered compared to the roster announcements last Sept. The rest of the age year groups lost around 5 players each. Where will those departed '02s be playing this year? Hope they keep playing and are happy where ever they end up!

Comment

Where will those departed '02s be playing this year?
                              The ISL. Better college placement.

Comment

Looks like the '02s were decimated, around 10 kids no longer rostered compared to the roster announcements last Sept. The rest of the age year groups lost around 5 players each. Where will those departed '02s be playing this year? Hope they keep playing and are happy where ever they end up!
                                The Revs were a total waste of time. The coaches really don’t know what they’re doing. If you want the glory of ‘being on the REVS,’ go for it. But nobody improves. nobody.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X