Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYCSL Centers of Excellence

Has anyone's child ever done the COE offered by NYCSL? Do they get lots of kids for tryouts or is it really just based on invitation, and is the program worth pursuing?

excellent question

Comment

Money grab. You have to give payment info to tryout and if you make it, almost everyone does, they already have your CC on file.

Comment

Ok does seem most things are a money grab these days so do they at least have a decent program?

Comment

is this PDP? If so I heard it was horrible

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
            Has anyone's child ever done the COE offered by NYCSL? Do they get lots of kids for tryouts or is it really just based on invitation, and is the program worth pursuing?
            Yes, have done it on boys side. Tryout based. Not everyone makes it. There are threads on this site with more discussion. Coaching is top notch, including John Curtis, former Man U pro. 90 minutes of fast drills or purposeful scrimmage that leave my son drained. Good talent levels from what I've observed.

Others complain about cost, which is especially high in winter, and compare versus private/group coaching. I think if you can swing the $ and your child is motivated and wants to do it, worth every $0.01.

As with everything, YMMV.

Comment

is this PDP? If so I heard it was horrible
              PDP is tied in but separate from COE.

I second the vote of support. Great training, not that crazy a price per session.

Comment

PDP is tied in but separate from COE.

I second the vote of support. Great training, not that crazy a price per session.
                I agree with you both ☝️
                My son does PDP COE for a few years now was asked to tryout for PDP did not make it.
                PDP is basically 1x a month and is free
                The tryout fee for COE gets deducted from the total price if your kid makes the cut.
                Very good, high level calber players from different clubs.
                Yes the training is very good and worth the money. Hard to find anything better on LI.
                As the boys get older there are less kids in total trying out as some leave for DA but still high quality. They do not just take anybody which keeps the level up.

Comment

Totally agree with the last few post. Definitely worth it.. If you make it your child can then potentially make a tournament team which they do periodically. They pick the best players based on their continual evaluations between the 8-10 center of excellence throughout CT, NY, NJ & LI. split the teams up and play! Great competition and lots of fun for the boys and girls. bottom-line do it!

Comment

Have a daughter doing the COE for the winter session. Compared with the training sessions with her regular team, much more up tempo. Quality of the girls there are all high. With the quality girls the coach can really drill them in a focused way. He also gets them thinking, he stops the drills every few minutes to pull them in and talk about how and why and how it relates to benefit during a game. I do not see any little girl talking or BS interrupting .. they are focused and my daughter has definitely benefited from the training over the winter when most of the rest of the team was doing nothing. She has done RDS in the past and I think this is much better training. Sometimes your regular team coach just cannot take the time to talk to them or run a whole session on particular parts of the game. A couple a weeks ago for example, he ran a whole session on shielding. He made them understand both sides, how to move off the ball etc.... regular team is running a few drills( which half the girls still cannot get the foot skills ), end with a scrimmage and cross fingers at the game......

Comment

Thanks for the responses - going to let the kid try out and if she can participate that would be great. Hopefully works out because it seems like once you reach a certain level it gets harder and harder to find good opportunities for supplemental training in our area.

Comment

Thanks for the responses - going to let the kid try out and if she can participate that would be great. Hopefully works out because it seems like once you reach a certain level it gets harder and harder to find good opportunities for supplemental training in our area.
                        Best training for the money is GSSC hands down. It is very hard to get in though and the timings are all over. My daughter is older now but Gary was her trainer when she was younger and I get in his place whenever we can. He does small group training up to 6 kids max.

Comment

Center of Excellence should be free

i was told that us club soccer has told the gary grossman that pdp or center of excellence is to free and they are charging

edp is only $5 for their center of excellence so i guess nycsl is ripping everyone off

Comment

i was told that us club soccer has told the gary grossman that pdp or center of excellence is to free and they are charging

edp is only $5 for their center of excellence so i guess nycsl is ripping everyone off
                            PDP is free, Center of Excellence is not

Comment

PDP is free, Center of Excellence is not
                              Center of Excellence, yes its at NYCFC, that’s about it....RB are good too, see a link??

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X