Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Some boys that did TA struggled with school as a result of missing school and excessive travel.
    One of the boys from the Timbers DA is playing with the first team in the MLS and is quite impressive at age 17.

Just like club soccer, some move on to play in at a small college or even walk-on to a big time D1 or D2 program others just quit because they move on with life. Due to the missing school for travel games/showcases and long drives to practice 2 o 3 times a week.

Comment

Followed by another article he was quoted in saying this about the DA:

"Sports is a big part of high school life," Jesuit coach Chris Thurley said. "If the Timbers do what they say, I think it will be PR suicide."

"They may get one or two pros out of (the academy), but hundreds of kids will be denied the opportunity of a high school experience," he said.

Thurley agrees that the highest levels of club soccer are better than high school, but at what cost?

"In high school, you get your family and friends and classmates and fans watching state playoff games," Thurley said. "In club soccer, it is attended by a few parents and a dog."

Depends on what kind of dog it is.

Comment

Here is what the Jesuit AD said to the press just one year ago.

"What you're seeing with the Timbers Academy is the birth of the zero-sport athlete," says Mike Hughes, the athletic director at Jesuit High School, a program that has lost several players to the club's development program.

"They can do zero high-school sports. (Soccer) is a year-round job. They become ghost students. They don't come to the prom. They're not actively engaged with their high school.

"We're all very frustrated with the Timbers."
        It's sad but I suppose for the .o0001% chance they will go pro and make $6,000 per yer.

Comment

The required minimum four practices a week will put a squeeze on homework time.

Comment

Now that Jesuit HS (& LaSalle) have each flipped the script and bleesed the Timbers/Thorns DA program for their students athletes all High Schools will follow suit.

Amazing.

Inc
            Where do you get that Jesuit HS & LaSalle have flipped the script and blessed the Timbers/Thorns DA program.

You are talking about two coaches and not the the schools.

Comment

That was important in 2011 to him, now things in Oregon High Schools have changed.
              Stunning development. God bless the DA.
              Things in High Schools have not changed much.

An opportunity presented itself for him to coach and he took it.

Thurley is just communicating what is convenient for him at the time.

Comment

Perspective

Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

"Sports is a big part of high school life," Jesuit coach Chris Thurley said. "If the Timbers do what they say, I think it will be PR suicide."

"They may get one or two pros out of (the academy), but hundreds of kids will be denied the opportunity of a high school experience," he said.

Thurley agrees that the highest levels of club soccer are better than high school, but at what cost?

"In high school, you get your family and friends and classmates and fans watching state playoff games," Thurley said. "In club soccer, it is attended by a few parents and a dog."

Comment

Where do you get that Jesuit HS & LaSalle have flipped the script and blessed the Timbers/Thorns DA program.

You are talking about two coaches and not the the schools.
                  Not OP, but it's pretty clear these two gentlemen are employees of the mentioned schools. I read it to say they have the Schools permission to coach at the HS level and the DA, at the same time. It follows this is clear example of the schools endorsing the DA program. That's the message I gather. At one time the schools spoke out that the DA was a bad thing now they are speaking with their actions that is in fact a good thing for their HS student athletes.Just my take.

Comment

Some things to think about.

Comment

Not OP, but it's pretty clear these two gentlemen are employees of the mentioned schools. I read it to say they have the Schools permission to coach at the HS level and the DA, at the same time. It follows this is clear example of the schools endorsing the DA program. That's the message I gather. At one time the schools spoke out that the DA was a bad thing now they are speaking with their actions that is in fact a good thing for their HS student athletes.Just my take.
                      You read wrong.

I doubt if either of the two will coach HS soccer next year. HS soccer is every day with games twice a week.

You should check before you go spouting off about the schools endorsing DA for either the boys or girls.

The schools do not have a say where kids play, but I doubt they are endorsing.

Comment

If your kids is concerned about people watching them play, or their classmates cheering them on or community support, then they are misguided and thinking about the wrong things. Those things are not important. High school extra circulars are not important.

Comment

If your kids is concerned about people watching them play, or their classmates cheering them on or community support, then they are misguided and thinking about the wrong things. Those things are not important. High school extra circulars are not important.
                          Are not important for what?

Comment

You read wrong.

I doubt if either of the two will coach HS soccer next year. HS soccer is every day with games twice a week.

You should check before you go spouting off about the schools endorsing DA for either the boys or girls.

The schools do not have a say where kids play, but I doubt they are endorsing.
                            So you may want to check with the schools because both coaches say they are coaching high school and not giving it up for the da

Comment

Wait so even a thorns coach is advising to not give up the high school experience?

Comment

Wait so even a thorns coach is advising to not give up the high school experience?
                                Kind of sad for anyone to equate JV high school soccer to "the high school experience".

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X