Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conditioning - Agility Training

we were with one town team for several years and found that during practice sessions they focused just on simple foot drills and one on one drills, then finishing with a small scrimmage. After doing some other training programs during the summer and winter, we found other trainers doing a lot more and ended up switching to a different town team because after observations, they seemed more detailed in their training and game play. The one biggest thing they do versus the old town is conditioning training every session. At least the first 15 to 20 minutes is suicides, laps, and some other things to push them. They usually finish with 10 minutes of the same. The trainer says this conditioning is almost as important at this age (12) as the tactical training. He says unfortunately our kids don't play like we used to and we have to do more conditioning training.

My question for those of you with older kids, did this really help and is it something you recommend to maybe sign up for a conditioning program on the off practice days. How much of a help do you think it was for your child. My child only plays soccer and would be glued to the pc if they didn't. That said they are a top player on their team, and it may be something they want to keep doing into high school...

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    we were with one town team for several years and found that during practice sessions they focused just on simple foot drills and one on one drills, then finishing with a small scrimmage. After doing some other training programs during the summer and winter, we found other trainers doing a lot more and ended up switching to a different town team because after observations, they seemed more detailed in their training and game play. The one biggest thing they do versus the old town is conditioning training every session. At least the first 15 to 20 minutes is suicides, laps, and some other things to push them. They usually finish with 10 minutes of the same. The trainer says this conditioning is almost as important at this age (12) as the tactical training. He says unfortunately our kids don't play like we used to and we have to do more conditioning training.

My question for those of you with older kids, did this really help and is it something you recommend to maybe sign up for a conditioning program on the off practice days. How much of a help do you think it was for your child. My child only plays soccer and would be glued to the pc if they didn't. That said they are a top player on their team, and it may be something they want to keep doing into high school...
    The activity in a U12 training should be enough. As they get to U13, they should be training/fitness on their own. Practice times should be tactical/technical in nature

Comment

My kid is U12. Not a huge fan of conditioning or running in practice. I do like for some agility/speed to be mixed in with ball mastery or more soccer related drills but straight up conditioning should be players responsibility in off season and off days.

Comment

Find a club at u12 and younger that only does technical and maybe some tactical. If they do any cardio alone...run away. It’s a waste of time. Their lungs are not even developed yet.

Comment

Conditioning - Agility Training

The activity in a U12 training should be enough. As they get to U13, they should be training/fitness on their own. Practice times should be tactical/technical in nature
          I think the above statement is correct. The training tactical and technical should be aggressive and fast paced during practice(if its not, practices will be boring and the results will show when you play higher level teams).

As for the individual player, no matter the age the sooner they realize to reach the top you have to do extra work on your own the better. At U11, U12, U13 you can almost see that larger more physically developed kids can really dominate a game. If the kid is dedicated enough he will train own his own to get bigger, stronger and faster in the off season. Baseball players are all ready strength training at this age.

Comment

Yes at U11-12 larger kids dominate. You can see a difference of an inch or so of height and 10 lbs being an enormous factor. Kids who sprout a little early can enjoy a major advantage. This is why strength training is good, so smaller kids can stay somewhat close, but it should not cone at the expense of technical training in soccer practice.

Comment

In my opinion, the absolute best thing for a young player is free play -- pick up games, play in the backyard etc. Builds creativity and confidence. As for strength and agility, my son did Parisi for 2 summers. Guard against burnout. Most kids benefit from no organized soccer in the summer (no formal teams/games/leagues). At least this is what worked for us (player now in high school). Have seen some gifted players stop by 15-16 due to burnout.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X