Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I can answer it because I actually called larry and asked what happened...nothing happened. surf decided not to run a low level tournament. larry said that starting 2018 there will be a surf college showcase memorial weekend, and ny surf cup at the same time as rthe sandiego surf cup and a third tournament in the summer.

you might want to try and call larry because it seems to me he is very open to discuss but told me he does not engage with anonymous posters ever
    Yes openness and transparency are what Larry Miller is known for

He doesn't engage with anonymous posters? That's his go to cop out. 95% of his posters are anonymous. He engages all the time when it suits his needs

PS. I emailed him a question before and he didn't answer me.

Comment

I can answer it because I actually called larry and asked what happened...nothing happened. surf decided not to run a low level tournament. larry said that starting 2018 there will be a surf college showcase memorial weekend, and ny surf cup at the same time as rthe sandiego surf cup and a third tournament in the summer.

you might want to try and call larry because it seems to me he is very open to discuss but told me he does not engage with anonymous posters ever
      Is anyone buying the latest batch of Larry statements? I'm not. Last year he said Surf would rock the NYC soccer world with a tournament to end all tournaments. Didn't happen.

Comment

Is anyone buying the latest batch of Larry statements? I'm not. Last year he said Surf would rock the NYC soccer world with a tournament to end all tournaments. Didn't happen.
        Surf doesn't have a tournament because they still have no fields. Hard to run a tournament without them.

Comment

Until Surf becomes a dominant and respected club in the area (if ever) they will have a very tough time getting events off the ground. There are several well entrenched events Memorial Day weekend, and college coaching staffs are spread thin. Persuading clubs and coaches to leave those and try a questionable new one will be difficult. Summer is tough because families scatter and most teams take mid June to mid August off. I don't know when the SD event is; depending on the weekend that could work.

Most likely Surf saw there was little interest and renting all those fields in this area cost prohibitive for a foundling club.

Comment

LM just admitted that Surfs HS tournament is a massive fail.

Comment

It was a dumb idea from the start. I could have told him the union mentality of public schools are such that they can offer $50,000 and it wouldn't matter. Often the coach is a district teacher paid a stipend for coaching. This is highly sought after in districts with big local club programs as often the coach is also involved with club training as well. If he wins this what does get? Zero. If he loses every game in the regular season he can lose the position and its stipend plus ancillary benefits as I mentioned.

Next, the admin. His district has a nine figure budget. $5,000 is a rounding error. He can't be bothered with this because he gets what? Zero. His job is to keep the constituents happy sonhis name never comes up at a monthly BOE meeting.

Last, schools like St Anthony's have pre season invitationals and those slots are highly sought after. Why would Brentwood, Mass, Commack, Chaminade, etc focus on Surf instead of training to prepare for the top schools pre season that they will have to beat later anyway? What's their incentive? Zero.

Mr Surf, I come on here once a week and my advice is free. Feel free to post your questions and I will get back to you. :)

They have misfired more than any other club in 2 years, not sure why they're still taking advice from Larry.

Comment

Uh oh. Trouble in the Surf/ LM live affair?

Comment

It was a dumb idea from the start. I could have told him the union mentality of public schools are such that they can offer $50,000 and it wouldn't matter. Often the coach is a district teacher paid a stipend for coaching. This is highly sought after in districts with big local club programs as often the coach is also involved with club training as well. If he wins this what does get? Zero. If he loses every game in the regular season he can lose the position and its stipend plus ancillary benefits as I mentioned.

Next, the admin. His district has a nine figure budget. $5,000 is a rounding error. He can't be bothered with this because he gets what? Zero. His job is to keep the constituents happy sonhis name never comes up at a monthly BOE meeting.

Last, schools like St Anthony's have pre season invitationals and those slots are highly sought after. Why would Brentwood, Mass, Commack, Chaminade, etc focus on Surf instead of training to prepare for the top schools pre season that they will have to beat later anyway? What's their incentive? Zero.

Mr Surf, I come on here once a week and my advice is free. Feel free to post your questions and I will get back to you. :)

They have misfired more than any other club in 2 years, not sure why they're still taking advice from Larry.
                  I will disagree mildly here -- I used to be responsible for securing fields for a large tri-state area tournament. You would be amazed how the offer of a "donation" of 1 set of $2500 goals would change a no to a yes.

$5000 is a goldmine to many AD's as they rarely feel their budgets are adequate.

I agree with all the other reasons why this won't work, but I don't think not wanting $5k is one of them.

Comment

Uh oh. Trouble in the Surf/ LM live affair?
                    His one year retainer has ended.

Comment

Surf Cup has failed.

Surf HS tournament is failing.

Partnership with KK has failed.

Partnership with Stony Brook is failing.

Westchester plans have stalled.

They are still no closer to securing fields to call their own.

The current plan seems to be to put all the efforts into the Nassau/Suffolk border area, which is not a bad idea, but it's yet another new direction, one of many, in just one year of existence. And with the new formation of Barcelona and Valencia right to the east and west of there this new plan isn't likely to pull in the players they need either.

Comment

Danilo Out...

[img]https://3.bp.************/-2qIxAMfFDTM/WOxqtKBmQQI/AAAAAAAAAdA/jPvV11RkOx0qEWWucOcAb8I9ROkdCVujwCLcB/s1600/Danilo.jpg[/img]

Comment

I suspect that when he became "Surf" that he lost all of his non-Surf customers. And Surf doesn't have enough teams on their own to sustain a business like his.

Comment

Say what you want about him but he always had kids in his program. Is it possible the Surf agreement didn't produce the dividends as expected?

Comment

Say what you want about him but he always had kids in his program. Is it possible the Surf agreement didn't produce the dividends as expected?
                              He had kids in his programs when it was neutral. Once he aligned with a club (Surf) why would his competitors send their teams there?

Comment

Another swing and miss for Surf. Larry is claiming that Surfs owner has deep pockets and is willing and able to sue. He's threaten to publish the strongly worded letter that Surf sent to Danilo. Perhaps Larry can offer up the legal services of his daughter

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X