Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or “Overtly Dumb Parents”.
    It isn’t too much to expect some half decent training for the amount of money it costs

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My daughter did ODP Philadelphia 06 and it was not a good experience for us. The head coach didn't attend all the tryouts. He then was there at only a few practices, until he was no longer listed as a coach. Not sure if he chose to leave or was fired - we didn't get any notification letting us know that he was no longer involved. The practices were mediocre, and too easy for this caliber of player and/or age. This caused attendance to go down markedly as the year went on.

Regional camp was also disappointing. The camp was last Wednesday until this past Sunday. Everyone in this part of the country knew we were about to have a heatwave, but there weren't any back-up plans for the weather and the limits on how much and when they could play outside. Instead of playing three times a day (practice or game), they played once or twice a day at most. There should have been accommodations made for them to train and/or play inside, even if they had to travel by bus
      My kid attended the Regional Camp first week and it was amazing. Shame it didn't work out for you. Btw - you realize in the middle of the summer it's hard to get accommodations elsewhere? Fields are in demand as many tourneys and camps going on all over the east coast.

My younger daughter was at a camp last week and they did a lot of classroom work as a result. I was worried and was very happy she wasn't over taxed in the unbearable and dangerous heat. Thank goodness they had air conditioning. Not worth her coming back dehydrated or sick.

Comment

* Overly Determined Parents
        Worse...tiger parents.

Comment

Anyone know why they put “Olympic” (ODP) in the description of this training program? I always kind of found that funny.
          Because until recently this is where they found the players that ultimately went onto the Olympic roster. If you didn't see the article, most if not all of the girls on the WNT (current WC champs) and other youth national players came through ODP. As someone noted, it was like the Hunger Games to get a spot even locally and then regionally.

Most ECNL kids don't do it anymore in Region 1 (other regions still encouraged and top ECNL kids do it) and no GDA kids do it as it's not allowable under their league rules. It still gets good coaches that are involved.

Comment

I've been reading this thread and the bashing of ODP on it. NJ has a thread for ODP as well. Read it. Some very good kids still doing it. Not everyone can afford ECNL or GDA. It's another way of improving your skills, getting the attention of college coaches to play for them and meeting kids from other areas.

My kids did it and liked it. They played in college and after. It was a great experience. Not everyone has a great experience in things. As someone else noted, it's not a one size fits all.

Comment

I've been reading this thread and the bashing of ODP on it. NJ has a thread for ODP as well. Read it. Some very good kids still doing it. Not everyone can afford ECNL or GDA. It's another way of improving your skills, getting the attention of college coaches to play for them and meeting kids from other areas.

My kids did it and liked it. They played in college and after. It was a great experience. Not everyone has a great experience in things. As someone else noted, it's not a one size fits all.
              My kid liked it also. The tournaments are fun and they get more playing experience which is what it’s all about.

Comment

My kid liked it also. The tournaments are fun and they get more playing experience which is what it’s all about.
                Yeah it’s a fun program. It’s nothing very serious.

Comment

Lets be honest. The level of play is not close to being on par with ECNL or GDA.

Comment

Lets be honest. The level of play is not close to being on par with ECNL or GDA.
                    Very true. My kids ecnl would have easily beat any of the odp teams they were on.

Comment

It’s good for supplemental training. But yes ecnl and gda is a higher level

Comment

It’s good for supplemental training. But yes ecnl and gda is a higher level
                        Of course, ECNL and GDA are a higher level. They are teams.

ODP are pick up teams that get together periodically. If the same ODP team practiced as much as the GDA and ECNL teams do, they would be better too.

I've seen some ECNL teams and GDA teams that are not as good as some ODP teams. While it's not what it used to be, ODP, (as GDA kids can't do it and some ECNL top players don't anymore, but do in other regions) but with the price of GDA and ECNL, it is making a comeback. The coaches are dedicated, knowledgeable and are well connected. Don't overlook that tidbit. A good recommendation from one of their coaches could put you ahead of another player on the recruiting depth chart. They know everybody and vice-versa.

Comment

Case in point, read the St. Francis thread on this state site. New hire is/was ODP regional coach that also coached at TopHat in Georgia. If you don't think she is well connected in the soccer world, think again.

Comment

Case in point, read the St. Francis thread on this state site. New hire is/was ODP regional coach that also coached at TopHat in Georgia. If you don't think she is well connected in the soccer world, think again.
                            How are the coaches for eastern PA odp?

Comment

In my opinion, most are very good.

Also putting out there, sometimes players don't pan out despite how good the coach is. That is mostly a player that is uncoachable and/or parents that meddle. Or sometimes kids just max out in skill set/soccer iq. That's why the top 10-20% are just that.

Comment

Agree with the prior post, mostly very good. And they are very well connected too.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X