Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odp

I'm trying to decide if ODP is worth it for my 2005 DD. She plays for a top EDP team that have played and beaten ECNL/NPL teams in tournaments. Is ODP worth it for her development or should I just invest in individual training? Can you guys share some of your experiences with ODP? Thanks.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm trying to decide if ODP is worth it for my 2005 DD. She plays for a top EDP team that have played and beaten ECNL/NPL teams in tournaments. Is ODP worth it for her development or should I just invest in individual training? Can you guys share some of your experiences with ODP? Thanks.
    It's $40 for tryouts and seeing where your dd is at. Nothing to lose.
    If she makes the pool, then you can decide if it worth it.

Comment

can i ask why who they have beaten is relevant to your kids development ?

Comment

can i ask why who they have beaten is relevant to your kids development ?
        Not necessarily her development. It was just mentioned to try to gauge if ODP training/competition would be as competitive. It would not be worth it to pay over 1K in annual fees if the training is less than what she currently receives from her team. I'm trying to understand the benefits of the program.

Comment

Depends on your daughter’s goals. I think my daughter benefited this year bc she’s with a smaller club and it exposed her to playing faster with more talent on the field - she had a larger margin for growth perhaps than others who play at higher levels. Coaches were good but practices too infrequent to say they had a huge impact on development. Again, depends on current level of coaching she is getting.

In case you aren’t aware of the structure, these tryouts are for the 19/20 state teams. The regional pools (New England to Virginia) were selected at the recent summer camps. She would have to make the state team and then attend the 2020 camp to be eligible for the region 1 pool.

Another factor is where in NJ you live. It can be difficult to get to Rider for a 5:30 practice during the week.

For us, it was a good experience for one year but we’re weighing the value of doing it again.

Comment

It's $40 for tryouts and seeing where your dd is at. Nothing to lose.
            If she makes the pool, then you can decide if it worth it.
            How can you decide if it is worth it by just just getting accepted? Does anyone have any feedback on the training, environment or games that might help? Thanks

Comment

Depends on your daughter’s goals. I think my daughter benefited this year bc she’s with a smaller club and it exposed her to playing faster with more talent on the field - she had a larger margin for growth perhaps than others who play at higher levels. Coaches were good but practices too infrequent to say they had a huge impact on development. Again, depends on current level of coaching she is getting.

In case you aren’t aware of the structure, these tryouts are for the 19/20 state teams. The regional pools (New England to Virginia) were selected at the recent summer camps. She would have to make the state team and then attend the 2020 camp to be eligible for the region 1 pool.

Another factor is where in NJ you live. It can be difficult to get to Rider for a 5:30 practice during the week.

For us, it was a good experience for one year but we’re weighing the value of doing it again.
              Thanks for your feedback. I wasn't aware of the structure.

Comment

How can you decide if it is worth it by just just getting accepted? Does anyone have any feedback on the training, environment or games that might help? Thanks
                If you're only doing it for extra training it isn't worth it. Who the coaches will be is a total crap shoot. Also by her age all the better players are out of ODP and are in ECNL or DA. If she can make the regional team that affords more college exposure, but only a few make that cut and there's no way of telling going in. Does she even want to play in college?
                Again, if it's just for training find a good trainer locally and maybe split the costs with a few other players of a similar level.

Comment

Key words, "getting accepted". Why worry about anything unless your dd
                  can make the cut and make the 18 for travel? There are 4 tryout dates
                  for $40. Use this as a gauge of where your dd is compared to other girls.
                  This is very similar to a college ID camp. Within the first tryout, you
                  should know where your girl is at. They will group them randomly and
                  then start moving kids around. Your kid needs to be in the top group.

Your dd is late to the game as an 05. Your kid has to beat out any
                  returning 18 travel team kids. Regional pool or boca kids has a spot.
                  The whole point is to travel and hopefully, make the regional pool and boca.
                  Do not let others fool you. Very, very good players still do ODP.
                  Unless your kid is a stud, use this opportunity as a gauge of where
                  she is. Can be good or can be very bad, as blow to her confidence.
                  Good luck.

Comment

Good luck.
                    Agreed! Good post.

Comment

Good luck.
                      Thanks for the info. This makes a lot of sense.

Comment

Thanks for the info. This makes a lot of sense.
                        Odp is a money grab

No exposure at all

Id2 and national training center have made odp obsolete

Don’t waste your time or money

Real Olympic development programs are free id2 national training center.

Comment

Odp is a money grab

No exposure at all

Id2 and national training center have made odp obsolete

Don’t waste your time or money

Real Olympic development programs are free id2 national training center.
                          Free? You have to be on either GDA or ECNL. GDA and ECNL are FAR from free $$$$$.
                          Not everyone can afford those leagues. ODP is a good option for exposure.

Comment

Free? You have to be on either GDA or ECNL. GDA and ECNL are FAR from free $$$$$.
                            Not everyone can afford those leagues. ODP is a good option for exposure.
                            Obviously you know nothing about youth soccer

You do not have to be in those leagues to get into
                            Id2 or ntc.

Your coach has to recommend you for pdp and id2 or ntc.

Please tell
                            Me who is coming to odp it odp regional to
                            Watch.

Btw

Look at the coaching lists for npl
                            National Championship and usys national championship

There are 20 women’s coaches at the whole event 13 are from good schools.

As far as the cost . If you played a tsf psa copa etc you
                            Paid the same tuition as a gda or ecnl
                            Clubs

You traveled to showcases out of state ie jeff Cup nc Las Vegas Florida. If your team made regionals or nations you went to west va and Kansas so travel
                            Expenses were similar if not more.

If you didn’t do this events then why are you even talking about odp

Oh because you really know nothing about youth soccer and grasping at straws

Comment

Obviously you know nothing about youth soccer

You do not have to be in those leagues to get into
                              Id2 or ntc.

Your coach has to recommend you for pdp and id2 or ntc.

Please tell
                              Me who is coming to odp it odp regional to
                              Watch.

Btw

Look at the coaching lists for npl
                              National Championship and usys national championship

There are 20 women’s coaches at the whole event 13 are from good schools.

As far as the cost . If you played a tsf psa copa etc you
                              Paid the same tuition as a gda or ecnl
                              Clubs

You traveled to showcases out of state ie jeff Cup nc Las Vegas Florida. If your team made regionals or nations you went to west va and Kansas so travel
                              Expenses were similar if not more.

If you didn’t do this events then why are you even talking about odp

Oh because you really know nothing about youth soccer and grasping at straws
                              Absolutely correct - cost of travel is perhaps 2-3x the cost of training. So any high performing team or player will have to deal with that.

All of these are good on a resume.

PDP, ID2 - for US Club teams (I don’t think this is for USSoccer) and there are nuances. PDP is based from the league, ID2 is cross league but for only a single age group. DA/GDA players are not allowed to participate, which is a shame.

ODP - good to make it into a regional team, if not making it to regional team, focus efforts elsewhere. Some girls went in from regional team to the national team camp (not NTC)

Finally NTC - this may be used as a political tool, as US Soccer will invite USSoccer club players. You can see that the number of invites to NTC from PDA is dwindling compared to previous seasons.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X